Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

A gentler side.

Today'sTids Issue 3,122 
Opening Stuff:
 
I don’t know about you, but I feel much better when kindness dominates my personality.
 
Afrezza is a new inhaled delivery system for insulin. It’s from a company on the West Coast named MannKind. You can’t imagine how elated I feel at news like that. It’s not for myself, but for all of those who have had to manage their internal system that literally gives them life, every day, every hour. I figure that Afrezza is not the panacea, yet. The first break through rarely is. But, the fact they made it this far has to be great news for all those who have been jabbing every available part of a body for decades. And, for anybody with some form of a chronic disease or malfunction. The good news is that there are very smart, dedicated people out there somewhere working for you, you family members, your friends. That’s why I like breakthrough’s, regardless of what Wall Street says.
 
Some in this world of ours consider the computer nirvana, but you don’t need a password to get into heaven!
 
In case you’re interested, my favorite TV news anchor of them all is Uma Pammaraju. She’s smart and tells it like it is. When checking the web to see how to spell her name I learned she was voted Best Anchor In Boston for 1996 and 1997.
 
The  Question:
People often wonder why I don’t read more books. I think it’s because I spend so much time on the web trying to locate those soap opera serial comic strips that are vanishing from the local newspapers. Name five of the best (Hint: One has the initials MW).
 
The Headlines:
--This Weeks Economic Data Could Put Huge Damper On Fire Works It It is bad; Some WS Watchers say It id do Or Die data.
--European Stocks Rise.
--Iraq Troops Surge With Helicopter Support To Take Back Tikrit Fails; al-Qaida Inspired Insurgents Take More Ground; First Shipment Of Russia Jets Arrive To Support Iraq Military, Essuentially Thumbing Its Nose At US.
--Syrian Rebels Buckling As al-Qaida Troops Gain Strength; US Hemmed and Hawed Too Long; ISIL Has Crucified Nine In Aleppo.
--FDA Approves Inhaled delivery System For Insulin, Afrezza; Agency tells Company MannKind It Must Warn Patients With COPD, Asthma.
--Connecticut 16 year Old Justine Pelletier Describes The Horrors Of Being Imprisoned In Boston Children’s Hospital In Conspiracy With State “Brown Shirts”; Americans Sickened.
--Psychiatrist Report Says Pistorius Not mentally Ill During Killing.
 
This morning I heard a Lt Gov. candidate say that we need to do more to attract Non-Profit businesses to the state as part of our economic recovery program, She added that Non-Profits was already one of the largest industries in the state! God help us.
 
In the signs of the times department, we now have park benches in Boston which are solar powered to enable charging of smart phones, et. al. while n the go. I imagine they will probably have toaster ovens for the homeless in the future.
 
It’s crazy, but I’ve always had this love of Volvos. It must be because I’m also nutty about fiords. We all have our hang-ups. Mine just happen to be steep northern mountains framing deep, calm seas. So shoot me.
 
Sports Update, Department:
--Michelle Wie is proving with the LPGA Open and this week’s run atop the leaderboard before flailing, that she is much more than a fluid, perfect body. –Is it possible that the Williams sisters have finally passed their career “Hump day”? –I’m not sure it is a good thing for NBA when clusters of superstars band together to sell themselves as a unit to the highest bidding team. –If you like to root for baseball teams exceeding expectations with exciting team ball like lkast year’s red Sox, check out the Oakland A’s, and maybe Cleveland Indians. –It will be dangerous walking the streets around here if the USA beats Belgium.
 
Soups to warm your hearts In cold AC, Department (Continued):
As promised here are two additional soups, starting with one of my favorites – Lemon Chicken Orzo. Partially Cook 8 oz orzo in lightly salted water (5 Mins), drain and run under cold water. In a pot add to one tbs OO one carrot finely chopped, 3  ribs celery chopped, one onion chopped. Saute until onion is transparent, veggies soften (5-7 mins). Add 2 clvs minced garlic, stir and cook one more minute.. Now season with ½ tsp thyme, 1/2tsp oreg, salt and blk pepper plus one bay leaf. After 30 sec pour in 32 oz chix broth (Low fat if you want health). Bring to boil lower heat, simmer for 10 mins. Stir in orzo, ½ cup fresh lemon juice, and one lemon Zested(?). Add 8 oz chix (Roasted would be nice) and cook til chix, orzo are heated. Add 8 oz baby spinach and cook till wilted. Then serve, topped with Parmesan cheese. Now we need a good New England Fish Chowder. I’m using native fish, but I figure it would work for whatever mild white fish is prevalent in your neighborhood. Place in a pot 2 oz salt pork (Or 2 strips bacon) cut into ¼ pieces. Cook on low heat until fat is liquefied. Add one onion chopped and cook til translucent ( 4 min). Add 2 ½ tbs flour and make roux and cook lightly for 3- min. Pour in 1 qt fish stock*, stirring to bring to boil then add 1/ cup white wine. Now add tsp thyme And two Maine/RI potatoes cut into 1 inch cubes, and cook in slow boil 15 mins until tender. While cooking pots, heat ¾ cp half and half. Add to stock and bring back to simmer. Recue heat to lowest setting an stir in ½ pound haddock (Cod) cut into ¾ inch cubes. Heat gently til fish is cooked (About 5 mins), Do  not boil! Salt and pepper
 
*Fish stock can be bought bottled in supermarkets. One chef makes it combining Knorr’s fish cubes with clam juice and fish paste which are also available. Or you can pach fish and use the liuid. Or if you are desparate you can use the leftover juice form boiled vegetables (Last resort!).
 
One of the great unsolved mysteries of life for me is exactly what is the point of the swimming pool game “Marco Polo”.
 
As to last Friday’s unlikely Squash/Green Apple soup from the mind of a meat eating chauvinist, A daughter wrote the Tids Editor – “Who are you and what have you done to my father?” A plaintive plea, I would say. But, of course, being a Tidster is realizing that sometimes you have to go the extra mile to be fair to all. Actually, I’ve been working overtime for ten years trying to come up with a fairness-to-democrats column. And I can only come up with, the Dems who I know are great people and exactly like Republicans. Though at times misguided.
 
[Warning: Friday I had a situation that interrupted the completion of that squash soup recipe, so basically I tried to finish it from memory. It was faulty! Here’s the total deal : “In a pot melt 3 tbs butter and add ¾ cp chopped onion, 2 lbs inch chunks peeled seeded butternut squash, one cored green apple in 1 inch chunks, ½ cup chopped toasted pecans (And brandy?) Cook and stir one min. Now add 14oz chix broth, 1/3 cup OJ, .tsp gnd ginger and 2 tsp gnd cinnamon bring to boil. Stirring. Cook 25 min. Let cool slightly. Let steam escape. Puree soup in batches in blender, hi speed til smooth. Return to saucepan and strir in I cup ½ & ½. Cook til heated through. Top with sour cream dollop and chopped pecans”]
 
From a clever reader: A  person who avoids exercise is in the Fitness Projection Program
 
In the truth is stranger than fiction department, the mayor’s race in the city-state of Providence pits as the two leading candidates a convicted felon and a gay man who’s father-in-law owns the biggest strip joint in the Northeast. Yikes!
 
Actually Dumb and Dumber is synonymous with RI as the locally born Ferelly Brothers set the opening of their epic film in the beautiful Ocean state. Most people only remember the dumber part and not the exquisite majesty of our landscape!. So, there’s hope around the area that Woody Allen, who has announced that he’s following his Manhattan and Paris triumphs with a new effort somewhere in RI, will create a scene that is positive for the downtrodden state.
 
President Obama seems to think that mocking the opposition with wise ass remarks is some form of leadership.
 
Turn-Off words, phrases, Department:
“Meatless”. “Filled with fruit”. “No Butter Added”. “I’m from the government, and I’m here to help.”  Send in your favorites and have your words published in the Tids! Show your kids and grandchildren! Zowie!
 
The Conscience: Chapter 47. The final Bottle.
      “Did James put you up to this?” I waited for a nano second. “Did he think that your charming personality, witty banter and incredible brainpower,” another nano second, “Not to mention your beautiful eyes and amazing smile would somehow change my mind about making millions working for Bernard.?” Now I waited in earnest. I heard nothing. “Are you there?” More dead air.
    Certo che lo sono. Non basta dire cose belle di un bambino ingenuo come me, e si aspettano una risposta intelligente immideiate?*
     “My Italian isn’t that good, what did you say?’
      “I said thank you.” I heard a smile over the phone. “You older men really know how to manipulate children like me,” And then she laughed through what I thought were tears. “So, what does it mean, Mr’ Morgan?”
     “Well it doesn’t mean that we are getting married, but it could mean that there’s a possibility we could work together, on a lawyer client basis, of course. What do you think, Angelica?”
     “I think I want to give you a nice fat retainer, and we can work things out from there.”
     “Caio!”
     “Your Italian is getting much better, Jeffery Morgan.”
                                                            T-H-E-  E-N-D
    ( * Of course I am. You don't just say beautiful things to a naive child like me, and expect an immediate, clever answer?)
    
The Answer:
 The strip I read most faithfully is Rex Morgan MD. I don’t know why because he is now certainly a tool for some libs. The current episode is about his five year old rather obnoxious (Some would say Precocious) daughter who si being used by an art museum to suck money out of a wealth know-oit-all dowager. Some of the other oldies but goodies are Judge Parker, Apartment 3G, Mary Worth and Brenda Starr. Some adventure series were Terry and the Pirates, the Phantom and of course Dick Tracy. Other series are Gil Thorpe, Batman, Mark Trail, Steve Canyon, Flash Gordon, Mandrake, Prince valiant and Tarzan.  You can find them all if your look.
 
Well, I guess I have to reach down and come up with another novel. Expect it in a few weeks. I’m looking for inspiration as we speak.
 
I think I’ll just go out now and open my heart to the world. Who knows, I just may find somebody who needs a little help along the way. Keeping your eyes open, too, is a good start. Caio!.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment