Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Who needs Vermont when in Rhode island you have orange and red trees reflecting in the cool waters of cozy coastal inlets and calm harbors.

Today's Tids Issue 3,209
Opening Stuff:

How many choices do we make in a life time? I know I have made many and certainly there were miscues along the way. If I wasn’t such an innate contrarian I may have ridden upon a road of gold. Of course many of my most important choices were golden. But, I guess the point of this little Tidlet opener for another Tuesday morning is that the worst thing you can do is reflect upon roads not taken. Everything is richer when the energy goes to the choices made. Don’t you hate preachy people? I do, I’m a contrarian.
 
On Sunday there were NFL games staring at 9:30, 1:00, 4:25 and 8:30. Somewhere in there you had to work to find the World Series, once the paragon of championship sports play. And this past Sunday, practically missing in action.
 
Of course Vermont Is known for Granite and marble, and we are known for a general assembly of marbleheads.

I heard a guy suggest that the US should adopt the Mexican immigration policy.
 
The Question:
Robert Lewis Stevenson was one of the first authors I can ever remember reading…and enjoying – that weren’t Superman, Captain Marvel or Archie Andrews comic books. Name 4 of RLS novels. Bonus: Name here books of James Fennimore Cooper
 
The Headlines:
--Dow Pushes Back Over 1700 With 188 Point rally
--Russia Says It Will back Separatist Polls.
--Tight Political Races Beginning To Dominate News.
--States Fight With Feds Over Ebola Restrictions.
--Weather Channel Founder Blasts Climate Change Arguments.
--US Immigration Officer Blows Whistel On White House Authorized Order For MilliosnOf Blnk Permits and Green Cards.
 
The Voice is paring down, and last night we saw some good talent leave, but better talent stay. I personally like Damian, Jessie Pitts and DaNica Phelan. I like Luke Wade, but I thought he was monotonous last night. Sugar Jones has potential, but she stumbled at the beginning. I thought Taylor Phelan was mediocre last night, but the judges fought over him based on his initial Blind entry. “You’ve got a Friend” always puts me to sleep, but I was glad James David Taylor who sang his own version of it, stayed; he will be a contender with hopefully better songs in the future. The big loss in the minds of critics is Toia Jones, who is a belter and has a nice personality and good stage presence, But, she is like many, and I agree with the judges who didn’t react enough to steal. (Although Pharrell was probably wondering why he stole Sugar when he could have had Toia.) Personally I pick people who will entertain me with something different as the show moves along, and that is why I picked my favorites above.
 
Ah technology! It seems I have to get up a half hour earlier each day to plug in chargers.
 
If I was a polictial operative. I’d be saving for the 2016 persidential campaign Hllary’s quote last friday, “Don’t listen to people who tell you that business creates jobs”. Isn’t that what communists say?
 
 “With the bloated government and all of its waste, we have constipation instead of constitution.”So observed this morning by MacNelly and Brookins
 
The trailers for Dumb and Dumber 2 Are telling me that the USA is about to slip even lower on the intelligence scale. It looks really, really awful.
 
But, I am ready for Hunger Games 3.
 
I was thinking about how a quote out of context can conjure up interesting vicual ideas and even creative writing opportunities. Take this one by R. L. Stevenson just brought to my attention: “Home is the sailor - Home from the sea - And the hunter home from the hill”. It has a nice feel to it, even if you have no idea about what it means. Maybe it would inspire me to write the fifth in the wonderful series of Tids Novels.
 
Personally, I think everything in the world is about promotion. Here is beauty in every state, from Arizona to Delaware. People go to new England fro leaves in the fall, when Wisconsin or West Virginia would be equally glorious. There are smart people in all areas of the country that rival the esteemed elite of the coastal cities. In fact, a good many of the creative, entertainment and financial geniuses come from the so-called Fly-Over states. Isee local plays with local talent and always come away completely happy…at 1/3 or ore of the price.  So the next time somebody says you got to rush here or there to find greatness, check out your own back yard.
 
The Answer:
Stevenson gave us some of the most memorable and often told stories – The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Kidnapped, Treasure Island and A Child’s Garden of Verses. The life of RLS is very interesting. Bonus: Another of my favorites of days gone by is James Fennimore Cooper, who incidently came from Cooperstown (A town Established by his Episcopal Minister father William Cooper) who never wrote a baseball novel but gave us is most famous romantic tale, Last of the Mohicans. The Cooper family came from Stratford-on-Avon so maybe writing was inbred from the beginning. He was known for the “Leatherstocking Series” featuring Natty Bumpco, the first of which was The Pioneers followed sometime later by the Pathfinder the Deerslayer. He wrote a history of the US Navy and a scornful satire about American social Life and legal practices called The ways of the Hour. Another lesser known book was The Crator an allegory about the Rise and Fall of the Unite States. (Sound familiar?) .
 
No matter where you are, you are in a perfect place.
 
Rubbish!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment