Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Big government is like a bad kidney.

Today's Tids Issue 3,317
Opening Stuff:

I was some what taken aback a day or so ago when the newspaper and TV/Radio news reports were touting FEMA disaster dollars coming here for a snowstorm. A snow storm in New England is a disaster? The only disaster around here is the state budgeting and management department, and the State legislature who never saw a dollar they couldn’t waste. And think about the fact that the more the Feds send money to states, the less likely the states will ever try to get better and work within their means. It’s like welfare, if it comes free, why work up the sweat? God help us.
 
I was at a large innovative grocery store yesterday. The place always has tempting displays of Italian cheeses include my personal weakness Reggiano Parmesan, which the clerk proudly pointed out as the “Cadillac of Cheeses”. I said, “You mean the Tesla of Cheeses!” I stood and smiled. She didn’t get it.
 
The only NCAA Final Four game I really remember is John Thompson versus Rollie Masimino – Mighty Georgetown against resilient Villanova. And that includes last night. Though, I have to say that the kid Grayson Allen, from Duke, played fantastic when it counted; he was the spark that turned it all around, regardless of what most of the stars–in-their-eyes experts and reporters say about Jones and Okafor.
 
The Question:
1. Who’s image was in the first US telecast from Washington to New York. 2. The first official Pop music concert in China was in 1985. Who was the performer. 3. What are the top songs from the great show South Pacific
 
 
The Headlines:
--Obama Admits Deal Passes Off Iran Weapon Threats To Future Presidents.
--Rand Paul To Join Presidential Race; Hill Expected To Actually Announce Soon.
--Threats Of Violence A Concern As President O Readies Kenya Visit.
--Bucholtz Looks Like An Ace As Red Sox Ride His Arm And Five Home Runs To Opener Victory.
--Biz Travelers Boosting Uber; Gold Retreats From Highs.
--As Trial Of Rolling Stone Cover Boy Tsarnaev Ends, Mag Must Face New Charges Of Crappy Journalism In UVa .Travesty
-- “O” Renews His Climate Change Campaign Saying Weather Phenomenon Is More Dangerous To Health Than His Presence In White House.
--Maryland Man And Seven Kids Found Dead From Carbon Monoxide; Generator Had Been In Use Since Electric Company Cut Off Power.
--Bergdahl Mess Deepens As News About His Overtures To Teheran Surfaces.
 
I think society is going backwards in the name of progress. Irreverent entertainment is funny until it becomes normal behavior. People want the Ten Commandments hidden because it makes them feel guilty. Commitment, responsibility and consideration have become dirty words. I just spilled a cup of coffee on my keyboard. Other than that, the world looks ok.
 
Brian Williams is saying that a tumor made him lie. That sound s like an old Providence Mafia trick.
 
Today’s superstar singers are very adept at delivering with gusto basically boring songs.
 
I think tonight’s game between Notre Dame and UConn women is going to be a winner.
 
The Voice began its countdown last night and Sawyer is still my favorite of them all. I also think that Mia Z is a fantastic singer. After those two I found the rest closely matched. I personally enjoyed the entertainment of Sarah Potenza, but that may be her problem – she thrills old people. Four have to go, and I would keep among the rest Koryn Hawthorne because of the emotion she displayed in How Great Thou Art. The girl with the Serial Killer Eyes, Hannah Kirby, is a pretty good singer and gets the audience moving. Corey Kent White will get the young female vote although he doesn’t inspire me. The only sure fire loser I saw was Oakley. To me Caitlin Corporale was pretty good last night, even though I thought I dozed off half way through. The Judges panned Brooke Adee, but I thought she was pretty good. But, as I said somebody has to go home and out of this bunch in addition to Oakley it unfortunately could be RI’er Sarah, the delightful Brooke (Scales tipped by judges reaction) and either Caitlin or Meghan Lindsey who belted it out again but splits the lower older vote with Portenza. Of course, some could be saved with bad performances tonight.
 
In case you are interested, the odds makers for the Masters have Rory McElroy on top at 8-1 After him comes Jordan Spieth at 10-1; Bubba Watson (Last year’s champ), Dustin Johnson and Jason Day at 12-1; Henrik Stenson 15-; Jimmy Walker 18-1; Adam Scott, Patrick Reed Phil Michelson, Tiger Woods at 20-1. A couple of consistent and recent big winners are Kuchar, Sergio and Billy Horshel around 50-1. Might be a bet there. Last year’s Open champ Martin Kaymer is 75-1 as is perennial near miss Keegan Bradley. A couple of possible dark horses could be Brooks Koepka, Ian Poulter and Justin Rose. There will be a surprise. Tiger Woods all the way back? I’ll be there for sure, I mean glued to my TV.
 
Super anti-death penalty Lawyer Judy Clarke is trying to portray Tsarnaev as a naive teen doing stupid teen things. “Let’s see, I have this knapsack with a destructive bomb, and…and…Aha! I think I’ll place it next to this 9 year old innocent boy”. His teen peers will love it!
 
The Last Man on Earth is pretty funny, but is in danger of becoming a one trick pony, or is sex the only way to get laughs any more.
 
Stock for the future: Valmie Resources? Look it up. Can you say Drones. Will the next big tech bubble to ride aloft be upon the unmanned fight industry? Lots of players emerging.
 
The Answer:
 1. The then 1927 Secretary of Commerce Herbert Hoover was the first ever telecast image and voice. Let’s see, Herbert Hoover. Kim Kardashian. We’ve come a long way baby. 2. George Michael and Andrew Ridgely of Wham! Packed Biejing Stadium in the first big time Rock Concert in China. 3. The top songs from the Big Hit South Pacific were Some Enchanted Evening, There’s Nothing Like a Dame, Bali Hai, This Nearly Was Mine,  Younger than Springtime, I’m Going to Wash That Guy Right Outh Of My Hair, A Wonderful Guy, A Cockeyed Optimist, Happy Talk and Bloody Mary. I’ll drink to that!
 
There really ain’t nothin’ like a dame:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment