Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Claustrophobic people are more productive thinking outside the box.



Today's Tids Issue 3,370
Opening Stuff:

Here’s what I don’t get – Why was Wall Street so surprised yesterday at the negative news about Greece? Are they just incompetent or are they in over their heads with risk again? Or are they just using it as an excuse to play games to churn money, putting average investors at risk. The fact is that the Greek GDP isn’t large enough to rattle the markets the way it did, The more logical explanation is that US markets are particularly fragile as softer earnings are pieced together to keep the bull snorting. That, does not make the financial economy strong, and the insiders know it…and are very nervous. Anything that is blasted through a megaphone, like Greece, has frigidity fingers pushing the sell button.

Mea Culpa: Yesterday was not June 27 as indicated in the Tids.

Release of court records is great for sleazy media, but it doesn’t seem to have much to do with justice. Just think about how much better off the country would be if the media spent the same energy going after Politian’s as they do trying to dig up dirt to embarrass celebs?

The Question:
What is the name of Procul Haram’s lead singer famous for a favorite of mine, A Whiter Shade of Pale? What is PH’s other hit song? A Whiter Shade was based on what classical composer’s music. Bonus: Name five of Kathy Bates best movies.

The Headlines:
--Markets Rebound After Yesterday’s Disaster; Still Has Way To Go To Get Back To Even.
--Supreme Court Rules Against Costly Obama EPA Regulations For Coal And Other Industries.
--Chicago PMI (Purchasing Managers Index) Up In June But Below Critical 50 Mark.
--Now 0-Man Wants To Play Games With Private Company Salary Structures.
--FBI Beefing Up Security Against Possible 4th Of July Terror Threats.

If you ask me, The Puerto Rica debt problem may be indicative of bigger problems for the US of A. If you haven’t heard yet, the US territory with a debt to GDP ratio of 66% has said it can’t pay back the $72 Billion it owes. Is this the next domino after Greece? How many other dominos are out there? Will China be asking the US to send a big check? In case you are interested, the US States with the worst debt ratios are NY (21.7%), Rhode Island, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Washington, Nevada, New Jersey, Illinois and Massachusetts (17.2%).

Speaking of risky investments, Space X looks like it’s cutting too many corners in the construction of their rockets. Let’s hope Musk isn’t using the same manufacturing techniques on his Tesla. This is third exploded ship in 8 months. I think I’m taking my name off the mars passenger list.

I may subscribe to the NY Times as a new source of outrageous humor for the Tids. Talk about a sarcasm mother lode.

A reader writes to say let’s leave the pic on the money alone. It’s not about man versus woman, but this decidedly undesirable trend of changing everything in America to blend with agendas for what looks like a suspect future. There are some who don’t like the past for personal reasons, but the fact remains that what was built then provided for a land of opportunity for all unseen in the history of the world. What's next, take the word "Saint" from Louis and Paul, "San" from Francisco and  Mateo and Angeles from LA. I wouldn't be surprised at all if somebody had this in motion.

Often the best humor comes from the mouths of self-described intellectuals and experts, and they don’t even know it.

Got a problem? Get in touch with “Z the Fixer”.

A question is being raised wondering why if NBC fired Trump from being out of line; why not also fire Al Sharpton who is a continuing embarrassment – the “Father of Misrepresented Facts”.

I doubt if you’ll ever see me wearing a “Fit” bracelet. That is much too much info about me for general consumption.

I have to believe that a lot of capable women would see the Equal Rights Amendment as an insult.

I’m really getting tired of baseball trades. Just keep my team together for more than a year and a half so I will have humans to root for instead of uniforms and spread sheets. I’m just not interested in the General Manager.

I follow young golfer Patrick Rogers as a kid who could be a pleasant surprise in the PGA future.

Barack Obama just doesn’t seem to get the concept of America at all.


The Parking Lot: Chapter One continues.
The voices I had been hearing stopped, and the early gray morning went silent, except for the constant screeching of seagulls, which has become background noise for me. “Hey!’ I shuttered again. This time I heard footsteps walking fast towards me. I turned to look in the direction of the steps, and found my hand reacting to the motion pushing aside some of the stuff from her dumped bag. I winced at the pain I felt in my back.
A young boy and girl emerged out of the light darkness of dawn, stopped and looked down at me, staying a safe ten yards away. “Do you have cell phone,” I asked in a way that didn’t sound threatening. They looked at each other and nodded yes. “Could you call 911? I need help.” I didn’t think that was a hard question. “I don’t generally lay around in parking lots,“ I added smiling through the pain to make them feel more comfortable
So that’s what happened, they sprang into action, well , action for two teens, and I went to the hospital. Police came in to talk to me, but I didn’t tell them much. And hey didn’t say much to me about whether or not the guy was known. So, here I am sitting in my place focused on the spot where I continue to see that sobbing women. The only smart thing I did was to have the kids pick up all of the woman’s stuff, which I now have spread out on a table behind my chair at the window. Something bothered m about that entire scene, and it was more than the fear I saw in the woman’s eyes.

The Answer:
Procul Haram’s lead singer Gary Brooker was memorable on A Whiter Shade of Pale, based on JS Bach’s Orchestral Suite #3 in D Major, a favorite of mine. Procul Haram’s other big hoit was Homburg. Bonus: I remember Bates most for Misery. I still cringe. I thought she was particularly good in Deloris Claiborne. She was also good in Fried Green Tomatoes, Titanic, Primary Colors and About Schmidt.

Happy end of June everybody. May the Fourth be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment