Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Monday, July 20, 2015

Quiet streets and the clicking of hedge clippers.



Today's Tids Issue 3,385
Opening Stuff:

Do you realize how hard it is to be a crusty curmudgeon when you are basically a quiet, loving guy with a happy heart? I’d rather write poems about roses and daffodils, beating hearts of people in love; girls in pretty dresses and guys who melt at the sight. But, somehow the new events of the world and the vitriol of the leadership go directly to the pit of the stomach, producing bile, instead of the aphrodisiacs of the heart. Maybe when the ideologues go away and are not replaced, we’ll go back to that good ole’ calm and understanding America, where vicious hatred and bitter division engineering would begin to disappear.

The Way it Was Ain’t Over Yet, Department:
People really don’t like to be taken for granted, and the press jumping upon the SC same sex marriage decision did just that. In a brand new post decision AP/GfX survey, support among Americans for Same sex marriage tumbled from 49% to 41%. In the same survey it was asked, “Should the Government protect gay rights or Religious Rights (“What a choice,” said I scratching the back of my head). 56% said protect religious rights versus 39% for Gay Rights. Don’t make the people not screaming in the public square mad.

The value of Google rose $68 Billion on Friday. Can you say DotCom bubble?

Since the beginning of the 0-Man dictatorship we seem to be experiencing many more “New Normal’s” than ever before in history. His admin and minions in the press are desperately trying to convince Americans that everything great they experienced in the past 249 years since the DoI was in fact probably not normal. The latest “New Normal’ announced Sunday morning in the newspaper is “Attacks like Chattanooga.” This is better?

The Question:
Who were the original Vandellas before Martha? Name 5 of their songs. Bonus Q: Who are Benedict Cumberbatch and Jared Padalecki? Yikes, Double Bonus!: What are the top expenditures for “Back-to-College” purchases?

The Headlines:
--European Markets Up For Eighth Straight Day; Greek Banks Re-Open Short of Cash.
--Khoumeni Likes Deal; Still Hates America.
--Loose Cannon Trump Riling Repubs; Calls McCain A Loser; Outspoken Land developer Still Building Strong Following.
--Afghans Say USAir Strike Killed 10 Of Their Soldiers.
--New White House Edict Would Limit Gun Ownership For Class Of Social Security Recipients.
--Pentagon Says It Will Not Offer new Arms Deal To Israel.
--ISIS Teaching Their Children Art of Beheading.
--Rebels In Yemen Counter Saudi Attacks With Their own Shelling Killing 45.

I just read a fashion column that actually said “Orange is the new neutral”. Does that mean that men can wear any color shirt with orange slacks? And why would any sane man want to wear orange slacks in the first place.

Get prepared, for over the next two and a half weeks you may find your self experiencing the “IT’s” which is significantly more depressing and psychologically traumatizing than the DT’s. Yes, I’m afraid you are about to be faced with “Intermittent Tids” syndrome. Be brave and it will pass with a minimum of permanent affliction. Or as my doctor said when I asked about my sore leg affecting my golf swing: “Suck it up and quit whining.” I’ll try to keep this daily morning mess regular, but Metamucil doesn’t work quite the same with Tids writing.

I have to make a correction to the answer I gave to “The Question of the Day” about a week ago. The “Q” asked the name of the movie starring Paul Newman as Rocky Graziano. A reader friend informed me that it was one of his favorite pictures ever and that the title was “Somebody up there likes me”. I had said “Angel on my Shoulder”, which was a movie about a gangster’s pact with the devil and starred Paul Muni, Anne Baxter and Claude Raines. “Somebody up there…” was Also one of my favorites of the day, and it starred Paul Newman and the beautiful Pier Angeli.

I was a bit perplexed when I read the label on a bottle of Tito’s vodka that said “Handmade Vodka”. Handmade? Raviolis are handmade. Knitted wool sweaters are handmade. Ice cream is handmade. But, a bottle of Vodka? That sounds really expensive. Their ad also says that it is great for Mixed drinks. Clear odorless vodka mixed with some juice or something can be discerned? Now Tito’s tequila I could understand. However, Grey Goose and Belvidere vodka lovers are saying they are switching. But then, you can sell vodka drinkers just about anything, as long as it’s got a gimmick.

The word “Target” should not even be in the IRS dictionary.

Heads of state, Legislatures, NFL Comissioners, CEO’s and other assorted leaders of people should frame the words of MLB Commish Rob Manfred: “We don’t like to be reactive.” He went on to say that they like to look at things before they jump into some highly publicized event or tragedy do something stupid; something that could be a negative influence fo years – like 75% of the new laws we don’t need.

The Parking Lot: Chapter 5 continues…
   Her eyes were fixated on mine. I didn’t see fear. It was a kind of questioning look, but a strong, compelling questioning look.
   “I’m not going to hurt you. Her eyes didn’t blink but now seemed to say, “I don’t think you could hurt me.” I smiled to myself, and that may have confused her.
   “Are you alright?” Now it was my turn to look confused. “Are your ok, Did anything serious happen after that slug whacked you?”, she repeated.
   “Oh, you mean last week. I thought you were talking about my current mental stability.” I smiled again, but she was more serious person than I. “Yeah, nothing too serious but a little pain that took a while to leave.” I released the hold on her arm, “What are you doing back here. I’ve been looking for you.” I stood and looked at her. She was a beautiful, dark haired woman, about mid forties. Of course, anybody under 60 looks mid forties to me. She looked well conditioned, sturdy, and confident. A person significantly different than the humbled woman I saw sobbing last week. Something serious must have happened, because this was not a timid woman. “Hi, I’m Jared Hollister, and I’m just an old guy with nothing to do -who got concerned over whatever was going on with you in your life. What’s your name?”
  She backed off a bit, probably wondering if she could trust me with anything. If there is anything I’m beginning to notice about her it’s trusting people.

The Answer:
The original Vandellas were Gloria Williams, Rosalind Ashford-Holmes, Annette Beard-Helton. Others in various iterations were Betty Kelly and Sandra Tilley; later Lois Reeves and Delphine Reeves; Even later Roschelle Laughhunn. Martha took over as lead when Williams moved on in 1962. Their top songs, which may have produced a tapping toe for many of you, are Heat Wave, Nowhere to Run, Jimmy Mack, Bless You and one of my favorites – Dancin’ in the Streets. Bonus: Cumberbatch is a British actor who has been “Sherlock” in the TV series since 1010. He has been in movies Atonement, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, 12 Years a Slave, Fifth estate and, of course, Imitation Game. Jared Padalecki gained fame in Gilmore Girls and as Sam Winchester in Supernatural. His movies include New York Minute, House of Wax, Cry Wolf, Ring of Endless Light and Silent Witness. Every once in a while I just pick out actors not entirely familiar to me to see how far ahead of me you are culturally! Yikes, Double Bonus!: Top spending category for Back-To-College is Electronics ($9.9 Bil). The rest are Clothing, Dorm/Apt. Furnishings, Food, Shoes, School Supplies, Pre-paid Cards and College Branded Gear,. Supplies ($2.2Bil).

Like a kid coming down Christmas morning only to see dad asleep under a half built bike, I arose Saturday morning all eager and excited only to find a suspended The Open. Today will be a super finish. Lots of great people to cheer for. Alas, I will miss it. Rats!

But, I hope you will wake to another good week and find yourself dancin’ in the streets: https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-006&ei=utf-8&fr=ytff1-yff16&p=your%20tube%20dancin%20in%20the%20streets&type=

No comments:

Post a Comment