Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Thursday, April 14, 2016

I feel the weight, but it will not keep me down.



Today's Tids Isue 3,573
Opening Stuff:

This could be an all time short Tids.

I never walked to the sea yesterday, but instead I decided to walk through history. I walked the street where George Washington and Rochambeau trod, around the corner to where Ben Franklyn’s older brother James first printed the oldest continuing newspaper. I walked past churches so important to that society; beautiful buildings for congregations founded in 1678 and 1735. Another small beautiful church was the first black church ever, and others were the first synagogue and first Quaker meeting house; another colonial home was that of the founder of the Universalist Church. All of these churches for the free were nestled among hundreds of 18th century homes. I read the names, not historical names, but ancestors of American families who lived and thrived and contributed to growth of this beautify town, and the country beyond.  I imagined the door opening and a family dressed well walking out to shop in the village below the hillside. Or, I saw in a window the dour face of an anxious woman wondering when her man would return from the sea; if he did. The homes of people who worked and laughed and prayed. Some would become revolutionaries and others Tories loyal to the king. Te harmony of times when these homes were build would be dissolved in the new conflict, and honest people would look at each other and wonder, why?. I didn’t go to the sea yesterday, but I found wonderment in the past.

Really, there is much too much technology. Enterprising inventors with billions in their eyes bring out new products because they can. One of the latest is something called a Textalyzer, with is like a breathalyszer for texting drivers. Of course, the law officer can’t smell texting on your breath, so legally he has no probable cause. And texting can be done thorough voice remotely or even by another in the car, so even a positive result is potentially vague. And then there is the possibility of finding something else that appears nefarious on a phone, which could lead to really big trouble and costly lawyers. Every day it seems I read one more possibility of the government intruding on privacy.

Historians have an extra century perception.

The Question:
1. What was Bradford Dillman best known for? 2. What was the acting role that launched Abigail Breslin?

The Headlines:
--Banks Finding Ways To Make Money; Stocks Look To Have So-So Day.
--Dems Holding Up Puerto Rico Bail Out Package Urged By “O” And Supported By Repubs.
--Occupy Wall Street Begins Spring March On Financial World; Could help Bernie In NYC.
--Russian Jets Buzz US Destroyer s Near Poland; US Moving Planes Into Philippines As Part of South China Sea Build-Up..
--NBA’s Warriros Set All Time Record Winning 73rd Game In Season.
--Austria Latest Country Poised To Close Border.

I have steadfastly held that doctors are significantly more important than lawyers. Not that I don’t know many brilliant lawyers who I love dearly. But, sometimes you have to wonder if some lawyers just lay in wait hoping some potential life saving medical advancement will fail. Almost all great discoveries have meant traipsing upon paths not taken. It is the nature of greatness. Failure is often a part of great achievement. Yet, today we have and industry preys upon failure. Are we allowing a society that stifles imagination? Are there any class action suits against blogging opinions?

Elon Musk was looking down about a year ago after some failed rocket launches and new questions about his super expensive electric car. But now he is on top with some amazing launch and space delivery successes and the introduction of the $35K car. Now all he has to do is produce the car that price.

I have to wonder if bright young people strive to become instant billionaires so they can wear T-Shirts on the world stage. How cool am I?

The Voice last night had a few surprises one being the choice by Blake of Paxton over Joe Maye and Katie. I thought Katie would win the fan vote. Mary Sarah was awful on Monday, but she is real country and real country gets voters. The other big upset was Adam being forced to pick Owen, who he likes, primarily because Laith won in the voting. My guess is that Adam would have preferred having Shalyah, Owen picked by voters and he picking Brian Nhira. Laith, though, will keep the entertainment lively. I was particularly happy to see Pharell pick Emily Keener.

The Americans continues to be one of the best on TV. Last night it grabbed your heart and punched you in the gut.

The Thesaurus writer always had Synonym buns for breakfast. Shoot me.

I was against bailing out Wall Street and am also on the Puerto Rican situation. Somehow we have to get to a point where people from the lone family to the biggest corporate CEO to the two faced politician learn again that personal responsibility and restraint are key attributes for the continuation of a civilized society.

Resolve, Department:
One of the things I have learned that has helped me through life is “Never giving up”. There’s always a little energy left in a flagging body to lift yourself off the mat.

Some times in golf I have the resolve to come back, but my talent lets me down…and I slam the club into the earth a foot behind the ball. Ouch!

The Parking Lot: Chapter 54.
   Jared walked into the waterfront offices of Howland and Company. He had often admired this building. It was an attractive place, designed he thought to look and feel like the inside of a boat cabin. Lots of teak and brass accessories. The receptionist/ assistant was attractive in a plain sort of way. She smiled nicely and Jared who inside was bundle of nerves enjoyed that release, feeling a little more relaxed at that. “I’d like to see Mr. Howland,” he said.
   “Would that be Thomas, Samuel or Osgood?” Jared tried to mask his indecision. She was basically telling him that he didn’t know what he was doing and she was becoming necessarily leery of this stranger.
  “Samuel, of course,” he answered. The woman gave him a look.
  “Do you have an appointment?”
  “No,” smiled Jared, “but I have a very large check book.” He then added, “How’s business these days.” The smile turned into a frown.
  “Mr. Samuel Howland is very busy right now. Perhaps you would prefer his sons, Samuel or Osgood.” (Busy trying to find Nancy, he thought. He also thought it might be nice to feel out one of the sons before getting to the father.
   “I have a pretty big idea for a project, and I need to get to know a good firm like yours. I know Samuel is one of the most influential men in this area, but I’d be willing to talk to a son to get things started. The woman’s smile returned.
   “Would you like coffee while I see if either is available?” Why would she offer coffee if neither was available? He smiled to himself.

The Answer:
1. Dillman was a Yale trained actor best known as being very good in many varying roles. He won a Theater World Award for Long Day’s Journey into Night and a Golden Globe for the film A Certain Smile. He had juicy roles in many films – Compulsion, Circle of deception and as St. Francis of Assisi—and TV where he was in Kraft Theater productions and made for TV movies like Fear No Evil and Moon of the Wolf.  2. Abigail Breslin walked into the spotlight for her role in Little Miss Sunshine. Personally, I found her and the cast annoying.

I have to be honest with you. When I asked the question about Bradford Dillman, I was thinking he was Duane Hickman who played Dobie Gillis along with his sidekick Maynard B. Krebs played by Bob Denver who was actually better known as Gilligan. That’s what I was thinking about. But, Bradford Dillman was a pretty good actor too.

I’m off. No not my rocker, meds…


No comments:

Post a Comment