Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Monday, September 11, 2017

The bell tolls slowly




Today's Tids Issue 3945
For Remembering:

I’m looking out my window to a calm and beautiful cool new morning. Could it be any better? Yet in the south people are wakening to a picture of disaster in the aftermath of a raging storm. In the west fires are burning madly, and I feel the warmth of a dawning sun.. The world is so big but now so close. We sit in our living rooms while brave US soldiers walk into ambushes in lands we can’t pronounce. We cheer kids on fields of play while a madman unleashes H-Bombs that rock half a continent. We exult in our good fortune while so many beg for food and warmth. This day in 2001, I walked down to the ocean and stood watching small waves breaking on a field of rocks. I was in peace, until I heard screams of horror from open windows. I was at peace. In New York and Washington DC and in a Pennsylvania’s field, people were terrified, and dying. It doesn’t make sense.

Friday night I heard disturbing news on the way to our monthly Pot Luck dinner. As the 6 men sat around discussing the demise of the Patriots and the negative impact of left wing politics, I said, “I have some terrible news you may not have heard, They, each a hardened Rhode Islander from day one, looked up in anticipation. Their jaws dropped and their faces became ashen as I said, “Benny’s is closing all stores.” I have never experienced such trauma, such sense of loss. Such disbelief. “Benny’s is closing, they silently murmured as one. We all knew what that would mean. No place to go when you need something nobody else has…not Wal-Mart, not Amazon. Tragedy.

The Question:

Everybody knows the MPH designations for each Hurricane category. Name the wnd velocities for the five categories.

The Headlines:
--America Remembers 911.
--Irma Batters Florida, but, some Cities Who Expect Worst Case Were Spared As Eye Shifted East; Over 6 Million Households Without Power; US Military rescues 1200 Citizens From Lawless St. Martin. Too Early To See Destruction From Keys And Marco.
--Markets Open Strong.
--Sloane Stevens Surprises To Wins US Tennis Open; Nadal .
--Gunman Kills 7, Wounds 2 At U Texas Football Party; Man Who Beat Four To Death In Mass Said He Was Jesus.

The Internet is unraveling the fabric of America. It magnifies selective minority discontent, undermines Main Street, exposes all personal data to international, nefarious cyber voyeurs and directs all who exist to what were formerly reclusive, quiet hide-aways; and of course, led to the closing of Benny’s. So, why again is the world better?

I’m a little delusional at times. For instance, I think my hair is turning blond.

The NFL generally bungles the most high-profile cases of alleged player malfeasance. I guess the owners have more respect for the revenue Goodell brings them as opposed to disgust at the lack of fairness in his adjudication decisions.

There comes a time when you learn that writing for a living is not very practical.

Americans are showing their kindness in the wake of Irma, Harvey. It shouldn’t be a surprise news item. Americans have been showing their hearts to the world for centuries.

Script-less Airheads, Department:
The Kelley-Ryan show just gave away a trip to Saint Croix, seemingly oblivious of the destruction. It was especially ironic since they spent much of the show talking about the devastation of Irma.

Writing what you feel produces better dialogs than writing to what you think others may want to hear.

The Answer:
You may have w=heard mention of this the last couple of days: Cat 1 – 74-95mph; Cat 2 – 96-110; Cat 3 -- 111-129; Cat 4 – 130-156; Cat 5 – 157 plus.

I’m up in Maine, exactly where I was on 9-11-2001. I still remember the patriotism I saw that day as I drove thought the country side.

No comments:

Post a Comment