Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Thanksgiving is not being a Communist nation.




Today's Tids Issue 3,997
For Surviving the Daily Tussle:

Being an old provincial Northeasterner I have a genetic problem visualizing Thanksgiving in places far afield from the original Pilgrim’s community. Like neath a Volcano in Hawaii, or a palm tree in Florida, a cactus in the southwest; amidst tumblin’ tumbleweeds on a great western plain. Of course, I’m entirely wrong. Thanksgiving is everywhere where there are loving hearts gathering to give thanks to each other, their friends and community, and God. I should step out of my animated film.

There was a time when children relied on Grandparents for info-nuggets instead of Google.

Yesterday’s opening paragraph could have been very good if I didn’t confuse myself so much.

A poll says that young people hate Fascism, but have no idea about the destruction wrought by Communism upon countries, and the mass murders by Communist leaders like Stalin and many more. I guess they aren’t being taught the whole picture in schools. I wonder why?

We have a crime wave here in Newport Rhode Island. Last week the courts were flooded with cases in involving fisherman found possessing undersized Tautaugs (Rhodislandeze for Blackfish). Some of the more dangerous felons were found to also have undersized striped bass and back sea bass. It was appalling; a community shocked at lawlessness. Well, Chicago has their murders and we have our undersized fish. Crime is crime. Stunned is stunned.

“Tackiness” is an integral part of the spirit of Christmas. Be Gauche. Inflate an Elf.

A reader writes to tell me he’s down in the punster. He tells me that yesterday when his mailman told him he was off to vacay in Spain, he asked if he was going to Parcelona! The mailman just ignored, what my friend thought was one of his best jokes in a while. Then he wondered if he said it right, knowing that the key to a good mailman joke is in the delivery!

The Question:
Ok, what was the name of the City that surrendered to end “Sherman’s march to the Sea”?  Bonus: What was the name of Petula Clark’s biggest song hit? Extra points: What other songs was she known for?

The Headlines:
--Oil Price Slide Has Wall Street Lower; New Retail Forecast Dimming Glow Of Christmas; Buffett Slashes IBM, Adds Apple.
--Lone Gunman randomly shoots and Kills Four, Wounds Additional 14; Feuding With neighbors He Thought Were Cooking Meth, Says Mom.
NK Issues Death Sentence Against t\Trump.
--Sessions DoJ Running 27 Separate Probes Of “Deep State” Leaks.
--Senate Tax Bill Eliminates Obama Mandate; Ryan And House Looking At It.
Zimbabwe Military Takes Control; Prez Robert Mugabe And Wife In Custody.
--Juanita Broderick Re-open’s Past Saying She Was Raped By Bill Clinton.
--New Quinnipiac Poll: 58% Of Americans Disapprove Of Trump Media Coverage; General Reporting Focused On Finding Negatives Of Trump Asia Rip.
--Malls Could Be Comes Specialty Store Centers As Big Outfits Reorganize Smaller.

“When you are in an historic, uncharted, chaotic situation, you often see these strange bedfellows.” Those are words of a Retail strategist Joel Bines commenting on the race to foster relationships to combat paradigm changes in the once stable old retail businesses. I’ve talked about this often. But, what I am seeing in this statement is a description of more than just changes in retail going on all around us. In politics, parties do not necessarily define differences, as many Dems and Repubs actually agree on the same things. People join groups violently opposed, yet there are incredible similarities among people of both sides. I think we have to break away to individualism. Remove labels from all aspects of society – in business, politics and just living in a community with a couple of good neighbors. The “Strange Bedfellow” comes from the labeling, not from what is in the heart.

Maybe I should just get back to writing Tidlets instead of thinking.

Actually, tis the season to write Tidlets about giblets.

Of course, Grandparents always have the computer open to Wikipedia when Grandchildren call for information.

I am always amazed at this time of year how food columns always have features on how to prepare traditional Thanksgiving favorites differently. Like, are they inferring that a dinner served once a year gets old and tired for today’s inspired palettes. It’s just the other way around -- A T-Day meal is special and different from the daioly fare of a year’s meals. I’ll continue to look forward to what was always good. No need to change my green beans, cheesy cauliflower or rich brown creamy gravy! What could be better than the same old great turkey dinner at least once a year.

Last night on The Voice, Adam had to make the big decision. I think he got it pretty much right, although I believe that his singer pick also named Adam might get a little tiresome. To keep Adam he had to axe RI favorite Emily Luthor who I say still is one of the best “Voices” on the show by that name. Post show ratings I saw had it Jon Mero, Addison Agen and Emily. I do like Miro, however, and in the “Knockouts”, I thought Addison had the best performance of them all. Last night she showed she could sing, but, I personally got tired of her song. Onward. Tonight, Miley quivers before the decision.

(Note: Some of you may wonder why I spend so much time on The Voice, when the world is in shambles. Simple: I’m the editor, and I like to write about The Voice. Keeps me sane.)

I always love a good meat-lover’s salad.

Drinks in Mason Jars may look cute in restaurant décor, but I don’t enjoy drinking from them.

You probably saw where Lord & Taylor joined Wal-Mart to help that venerable upscale retailer reach into the broader Wal-Mart arena, hoping to snatch WM’s upscale shoppers. (It also helps WM’s on-line battle with Amazon) This could be a disaster, as we have seen many an instance of Image smudging from brand blending, often forcing former strong brands into oblivion. One I think of is when GM accountants played games basically intermingling Cadillac with Chevy, for a marketing and production efficiency advantage. Caddy lost its unique luster in the eyes of many, and after 35 years is still trying to re-establish its elite-ness.

I have to tell you that I was little disturbed yesterday watching RI Congressman Ciciline, a well-documented sleazy mayor of Providence, question Sessions about sleaziness.

The Answer:
The beautiful city of Savannah Georgia surrendered to old Tecumseh, and he retired to a tasty toddy by the sea. Bonus: Of course, “Downtown was the song that launched Petula here. Actually, Clark was a pretty well-known star before Downtown made her big in the USA – “The First Lady of the British Invasion”. Extra Points: Her other big songs were “I know a Place”, “My Love”, A Sign of the Times”, “I Couldn’t Live Without Your Love”, “Colour My World”, “This Is My Song” and “Don’t Sleep in the Subway.”

Find a strange bedfellow. Eliminate the tension.



No comments:

Post a Comment