Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Don’t drag me down.


Today's Tids Issue 4,039
For Love and Sportsmanship:

I just came in from a nice jaunt in the freezing cold, and I feel just great.

Yesterday morning the first two emails I received had as the opening line “You will like this”. I never realized I was such an open book.

An “Oyster” is a person who sprinkles his conversation with yiddishisms.

I remember clearly wondering several years ago why any moral, ethical, intelligent person would ever try to rationalize the triumphant return of Roman Polanski to the USA – like outspoken celebs from Merrill Streep to Woody Allen, from Whoopi Goldberg to Peter Fonda, from Debra Winger to Martin Scorsese – and about 31 other known, vocal H-Wood supporters at the time. Listening to Celebs is bad for your health.

There is a funny little phenomenon taking hold in the stock market. It’s called the return of Momentum and at this particular time it may signal a healthy new beginning or a dangerously oversold market. Momentum trading runs on enthusiasm for stocks that have risen dramatically, looking at the past (Mainly those held by Exchange Traded Funds). Momentum players ignore profits, the economy and valuations. The momentum Index has delivered 44% gains since the start of the year, twice that of the S&P. In a wee Tidlet, I can’t get into all of the explanations of picking momentum stocks. Needless to say, it almost sounds whimsical to an old economic conservative. “The last time the Momentum Index beat the market by this much was the 12 months leading up to the summer of 2008 shortly before Lehman collapsed. The alternate explanation is that the Bull market is just beginning! Say what? Yes, while the stocks soared, broad-based optimism for the economy lagged, with many people still on the sidelines. In other words, we are all probably at a choice point.

The Question:
As we begin the countdown to Valentines Day (chocolate treats have been in stores since Christmas), how about you guessing The Top Ten all time classic love songs.

The Headlines:
--Dow Roars Past 26, 000 In Record Time; Oil Prices Near 3 Year High; Bitcoin Slips 18% As Do Crypto Rivals.
--Four Police Officers In York County SC Shot responding To Domestic Violence Call.
--38 Die In Baghdad Bombing.
--CitiGroup Posts $18.6 Billion Q4 Loss As Result Of $22 Bil Charge Relating To New Tax Laws.
--Philippine Volcano Bursts Spewing Lava; 34,000 Residents Scramble To Leave.
--Danika Patrick And Aaron Rogers Hot New Sports Romance.

Dems like to mock Repubs who voted for Trump forgetting that the only other choice was Hillary.

I was going to tell you a joke about fishing, but I forgot the line.

I was looking at the Amendments to the Constitution and thought that we need just one more amendment. We need an amendment that bans all amendments based on pure emotional overreactions, which is certainly a danger today in our new brainless twitter world. I looked at the 18th, for instance, and wondered why banning alcohol should ever have been a part of the constitution. Many other amendments assuring equality could have been legislated or gained as the result of Judicial decisions – like defining the word “equal” to include all sexes and races. So, I say one more amendment, and then close the books and move them all to the Smithsonian.

I read where a woman up the road from here found two turkey vultures frozen in the ice. After using space heater to free them the birds were brought to a shelter where it is reported today, “The vultures are eating ferociously”. It as also reported that two shelter workers are missing. I wonder.

A Yahoo News lead-off headline this morning says, Melania Trump has yet to pick a cause. I think they want her to pick one so they can rip into her for the cause she picks. And, why would such an innocuous piece of info be a headline for a so-called serious news organization in the first place?

A doctor lifted his stethoscope off the chest of his patient, smiled, and looked into her eyes. “You’re heart is singing, ‘You make me feel my love’ to me”. She pulled back, suddenly. It was then that he realized he had plugged in his Apple earbuds. Thus, a momentary exhilaration in another tense day at the hospital, and a near brush with a sexual harassment scandal.

Jaunt: A short excursion or journey for pleasure.

California has endured natural disaster after natural disaster, and they are still sitting atop the San Andreas Fault.

I see where it says that golfers are replacing their lob wedge for a newly developed club. I still haven’t figured out how to use the lob wedge. And, probably never will.

I heard a couple of sports talkers saying that NFL Jag’s Jalen Ramsey’s boasting, in-your-face, expletive laden speech was good for sports. I’m thinking, playing hard and well is good for sports. Who really needs a circus except sports talkers. So, I’m mulling that from last night when this morning I read that several Houston Rocket’s star players following a game in LA against the Clippers snuck through a back door into the Clip’s locker room to pick a fight, and it got so out of hand that police were called. Is that also good for sports. Or just sports talkers. What ever happened to sportsmanship. And that goes for real life too.

BTW, several New England Patriots responded maturely to Ramsey’s Boast. Here’s what Matthew Slater had to say: “That guy is really good, he should be confident…The good Lord said, ‘Let there be a corner’, and it was him.”

Frisbeetarianism: The belief that, after death, the soul floes up to the roof and gets stuck in the gutter.

Why is it that on every MLK day I seem to think of Jimmy the Greek?

Stop trying to make everybody happy – you’re not Tequila.

We in RI have another Governor candidate tossing his hat in the ring here. His basic platform seems to be, “Down with corporations and up with more money funneling to the people left behind. I think that his theory assures us that the state will be left behind, probably bankrupt. He looks like just one more component of a growing national trend which is light years away from the basic concept of the United States of America.

While it was simply the act of a stupid Hawaii employee that caused the false alarm, the real airheads were from Hollywood – Jamie Leigh Curtis, Jim Cary and Stephen Wright –  and they sent sophomoric tweets blasting the President for causing the problem. The worst of it was that cable news people ran with it.

The Answer:
This list of chart’s winners is from Billboard: 10 is I Can’t stop Lovin’ You – Ray Chares and then down to #1 we have Best of My Love – the Emotions, Because I Love You – Stevie B, Let me Love You - Mario, I Will Always Love You – Whitney Houston, Silly Love Songs – Wings, How Deep is Your Love – Bee Gees, We Found Love – Rhianna, I’ll Make Love To You – Boyz and Men and at #1 – Endless Love By Diana Ross. Certainly, to be some arguments here. Because loves so special. Another list has Unchained Melody -Righteous Brothers, I Say A Little Prayer - Aretha, Let’s Stay Together – Al Green, Something – Beatles, One and Only – Adele, Your Song – Elton, My Girl – Temptations and At Last – Etta James. I have another list that has most of the above plus as #1, God Only Knows by the Beach Boys. I have run down several lists of best Love Songs and find great oldies like Some Enchanted Evening, Crazy (Patsy Cline), Somewhere (From West Side Story), Moon River, - Henry Mancini, To Sir With Love, Killing Me Softly With His Song – Roberta Flack (She has several like also The First Time Ever I Saw His face), When I fall in Love by Nat King Cole. I know everybody out there has their own special list.

Here is one of my favorites, that just feels like love. It’s Hear Me sung by Shaun Davy and Rita Connolly from Waking Ned Devine:



No comments:

Post a Comment