Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Eco is the word; Nomics is the suffix.

Today's Tids Issue $2,412
Opening Stuff:
I started to type that the US has a major EcoProblem. But of course, the interpretation of that would depend upon whether you are an environmentalist or business person. When you live in a fragile waterlogged state like RI, you just have to be an environmentalist. But, the issue at hand is all about economics , or we won't be able to afford ecological planning and implementation. And one of the problems that always comes with a swinging pendulum is that the warm and fuzzy eco's have gone to the out edge producing many too many restrictive regulations that make it more and more difficult for economic entities to survive. It is now the other Eco's turn.

Yesterday the traders found their positive news in mergers and some economic data. Today they'll find some negative news to make some extra dough on the profit-taking downslide. It will probably be something about the plight of Europe which has become a handy little investment tool for the manipulators. As in -- Plight equals Blight for American investors.

Normally I don't like the results when I see old favorites "brought up to today". But this Dr. Seuss redux sent in by a reader is not the usual lark, but actually on the mark -- "I do not like this Uncle Sam, I do not like his health care scam. I do not like these dirty crooks, or how they lie & cook the books. I do not like when Congress steals, I do not like their secret deals. I do not like ex-speaker Nan, I do not like this 'Yes We Can'. I do not like this spending spree: I'm smart, I know that nothing's free. I do not like their smug replies, when I complain about their lies. I do not like this kind of hope. I do not like it. Nope, nope, nope...."


The Question:
A reader blasted me yesterday for my mildly disparaging inference about the tediousness of Nat King Cole. He suggested a question: In what movie did we first hear the song "Nature Boy".

The Headlines:
--Fitch Rating Service Reaffirms USA AAA.
--WS Drops On Weak Euro-Data (See Item Above Written BeFore Opening)
--Industrial Output rises; Calms Recession Fears.
--Europe Solution Stalls; Merkl-Sarkozy Meet.
--0-Man On Trail Grapples For Eco-Fix And Political narrative.

Back to More Stuff:
All of those experts deconstructing Tiger Woods these days have has indicated that his guiding principle underlying the comeback could be found in the maxim: "Change is always better". He'd better check Obama on that one.

It looks like Iraq needs a good ole fashioned brutal dictator to quell the violence of freedom. Ooops!

I play so much Free cell on the computer that I think my cards are fading. Maybe it's the afternoon sun. I could put #30 lotion on my screen.

I heard someone comparing the Federal government to a family that makes $21,500/year, has expenses of $38,000, with credit card balances totaling $126,000. Sounds like a pretty deep hole to me.

Analysts on both sides are saying that the Prez is turning into "Cliche Man" as the ability to generate realistic solutions to an enormous problem elude his grasp. And I agree that a fix to an economy is not a simple one despite the cries form both sides.

I don't know whether or not the newest US export will help with the trade imbalance, but it is certainly going to add to a negative US stereotype -- Gang organization! Yup, the English gangs say proudly that they are copying the American model for street violence. I wonder if we can claim copyright royalties?

For the newcomers to The Tids, the Novel in serial form, "Almost Near" is about a woman who returns to the town she loves only to find that nobody there knows who she is. While there she finds one man who seems to care. Unbeknownst to her, he does who she is. He sets out to find the causes behind her apparent trauma. She sets out to find out who she is.

I have never had any inclination to eat shark fin soup. Does that make me an environmentalist? Save the environment -- Eat Cheetos!

Almost Near: Chapter 34 continues. Before Tucker could stop the car or ask about "Tommy", Samantha was the out the door of the still rolling car. She hurried up the front walkway of her home. She slowed for a minute, turned, "Common Tommy, you'll love seeing what Martha has done to the house." Then she turned and ran up the stairs. She looked so happy, he thought.
Tucker took his time, trying to figure out what to do next. he thought meeting Dante might be tough on her, but never expected this. By the time he reached the door, it was open and a little girls was hugging Sam's legs. "Mama, Samantha's back".
Back? Tucker then realized that this was where she must have gone the days he ran from Lobster Cove.
A woman came up behind the girl and smiled enthusiastically at Sam. But then her eyes opened wildly, "Tommy! You're back together." Then she ran out and gave him ahuge friendly hug.
"Yes, Tommy and I seemed to have oicked up right where left off." Tucker closed his eyes and shuddered.


In reaction to the Tea Party Movement, ex-"O"staffer Van Jones has launched the "American Dream Movement". Jones, a true progressive says his party is for higher taxes on the rich, corporations and Wall Street; Expanded safety Net More $$ for Education & infrastructure; Curbs on Lobbyists (Like the American Dream Movement?). The basic premise of the organization's campaign and "Contract" is that "the nation isn't broke; it's merely imbalanced."

The Last American Dream Movement I remember was when Frank and Congressional panels made it easy to assure home ownership for all regardless of their ability to pay the mortgage. The American dream has always been about equal opportunity for all. Not equal results for all.

The Answer:
The song "Nature Boy" always bothered me. It was from a wierd little movie "The Boy with the Green Hair." I didn't see it becasue it didn't have guns or Bugs Bunny in it. The song was also revised in the 2001 movie Moulon Rouge.

The End:
While I believe in protecting the environment, I am not particularly infatuated with environmentalists who build unwieldy tyrannical organizations that seem to take pleasure in intimidating their fellow citizens.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment