Today's Tids Issue 2,766
Opening Stuff
 
Yesterday I went down to explore the facilities of a health club. After they showed me the sauna, the pool and all of the cardio and muscle building machines, I came home and took a nap. Amazing how deep a sleep can be after thinking about a little exercise!

Yet another Democrat has announced an idea to tax the wealthy, and this time it was in RI...where there are fewer and fewer wealthy left. Do you know why there are fewer wealthy left in this state. Because they have been taxed and regulated out, and have taken there businesses and jobs with them. RI is destined to go from a state in the Union, to a union called a state.

The Question:
1. Name five types of machines found in Gyms/Health Clubs. Bonus: What's the difference between Sunnis and Shiites

The Headlines:
--Snow Total Predictions For Northeast Storm Raised To 3 Feet.
--Catholic Church Rejects Latest Obama Compromise On Contraceptive Coverage.
--Cal Manhunt For Crazed Ex-La Cop Continues.
--US Trade Gap Sinks To 2 Year Low; Big Decline Due To Surge In Petroleum Exports And Jet Planes; US Gap Improves Against All major Trading Regions..
--Hacker Gets Into GW Bush Emails Of Last 3 Years; Stolen Info Includes Pics Of family And Security Code for Ranch.
--34 more Iraqis Killed In Bombings.

An intelligent reader pointed out a big error I made yesterday in my report on the 10 greatest philosophers. He said I forgot Linus Van Pelt. I agreed wholeheartedly. Another keen observer wanted me to add Cicero who warned against officialdom arrogance that could precipitate a fall.

Got an idea that sounds dumb, try it -- Department:
There's a pretty successful web site in the DC area called Politwoops.com that collects politician's deleted Tweets! There's big bucks in information that politicians don't want the people to see.

During the infamous '78 Blizzard, I was working away in my Needham Mass office. I remember looking out the window and seeing a little snow falling. I decided to leave shorly for my 1 1/2 journey home to Glastonbury Conn. My friend in the next office, also from Conn, said he was going to stay a while longer. I got in my '76 Chevy and started. I quickly got to the Mass Pike and went west. I was moving well, until somewhere around Framingham, where the snow began to close over the remaining black. By Worcester I was going about 20 mph, steady but nervous. Watching cars slide offf the road. My knuckles whitened. My body tensed, and I plowed on. It was about 2 oclock. 2 hours for a normally 37 minute trip. The Mass Pike got worse. Emergency vehicles became the norm. Finally, Sturbridge where the storm was raging. Would there be fewer cars on I 84? The first part was icy, slippery. The snow was falling harder., The winds were blowing, My hand often reached out the window to the hard working wipers, clearing away chunks of ice. The roads improved in the hills of Connecticut. Well I made it. Many hours more than usual and one tired body later, I made it, safe infront of the fireplace, with a smiling family. My office friend didn't leave soon enough. He found a motel small room around the corner -- where he was marooned for a week! And, where the Natonal Guard delivered food. Chiken ala King. But, he was one of the lucky ones.

When I read a story about a Delacroix painting at the Louvre being defaced by an asshole, I just go berzerk. I'm am so tired of uncaring irresponsible people. I bet the defacer started out as a litter bug.

I remember the reason why I didn't join a gym the last time I  considered exposing my body to extreme physical pain. they wouldn't let me wear boat shoes.

The Obama Admin still thinks that the controversy over Catholic angst about the contraceptive coverage is not about the First Amendment.

If my writng seems a little down this fine stormy day, it's because a good reader chastised me this morning in an email for waxing poetic about the beauty and peacefulness of God's snow, while forgetting those who may be isolated in a dark, heatless apartment. Then, I'm thinking, why is Thoreau so idolized when all he did was sit in a tree and dream of God's natural beauty while responsible citizens of the world were working hard, contributing to society.

I'll be rooting for John Lester all the way this year.

There are so many numbers floating around these days, delivered conveniently via many new devices, that a lot of it is accepted, stored in minds but not analyzed. Accepted for what they appear to be. Now, I expect just about everybody believes that eCommerce  (Retail buying through the Internet) is going bananas (Not Republic) and will soon dominate all purchases thus making retail Brick and Mortar (B&M) stores obsolete. For instance, the just reported full year retail eCom sales were $186 Billion, up 15%. In addition, the 4th Q's $56 Bil was the first ever $50 Bil Q. No end in sight, right? Not so fast. Experts see signs of slowing among the hoopla. B&M stores are learning the ways of the Internet, cheaper prices, faster shipping -- and even more important a large percentage of the population still wants to "feel" befoe buying. For every Amazon (Over half of all eCom sales) there are many who are failing or slowing. This is just one example of big numbers clouding reality. It's always good these days to be skeptical.

Reading Between the Lines Movie Reviews:
--First, we have a winner, at least from this man's perspective. Side Effects is about a successful uptown NYC couple who's life falls apart after Hubby (Channing Tatum) gets jail time for Stock fraud, and upon release the wife (Roony-Mara) goes to psychaitrist (Jude Law) who prescribes untested medicine that has strange side effects. We can't tell you any more because it would ruin many surprises and plot shifts. Just go and enjoy the tension. You will be entertained.
--Then we have Identity Theft, which, judging by the promo trailers, I would never even consider watching. Then  the add Malissa McCarthy as the buffoon fat lady comic, and you couldn't drag me to it. It just bad movie ruining a story that might have been good. Editors Note: To let you know where I am coming from. Malissa McCarthy is proudly promoted as "the actor who stole the show in Birdesmaids". I thought McCarthy was incredibly annoying there, bordering on disgusting. I would cringe every time she walked on screen.

The Conscience:
Chapter 14 continues.
  "What are you doing here scaring me with a gun," I answered quickly an stupidly.
   She just stood there with that look of incredulity that told me quickly she owned the joint.
   "Ok, I get it, you own the place, but how come you're working in the dark with a flash light?" I smiled the look of a victor. Then I altered trying to appear less smug, which I had no right to be. "Ok, I shouldn't be here. But, the door was open and I walked in."
   Again, she just stood there, a beautiful woman, with that Mediterranean skin and those incredible dark eyes. I decided to look and not speak. I waited.
   "Follow me." She walked towards he door. She stopped and cracked it, and lowered her head to peer through the slit opening. She stood motionless for a good minute. She turned to me and put her finger to her lips. She opened the door just wide enough so she then I could slip through, She motioned d me to go to the other side of the door an stand close to the building. She was very still, looking around and listening. She must be scared of something. Maybe I wasn't imaging a conspiracy down here. She pulled a key out of her pocket and locked the door. She walked urgently to the edge and stopped once more. She whispered that I should go right down that alley -- she nodded her head -- and that she was going straight. She said she would find me, and not to do anything, stupido. She smiled at that and walked , almost ran across the openign to the next hidden ally. I did the same.
  Within a few seconds of my reaching the end of the next large warehouse, she showed up next to my side. almost magical. "Let's go for a drink somewhere." She said. "I think you and I need to be allies," she paused, "for now." She smiled, turned and I followed. This seems to be my new calling. I was thinking I'd follow that smile anywhere.

The Answer:
1. There are many devices for cardio stimulation including treadmills, stationary bikes, elipticals, rowers and stepping machines. For weight lifting you have Power-racks and Smith Machines, Leverage and Pulley Weight Machines and free weights. They all look scary to me. Bonus: Ok, 90% of all Muslims are Sunnis with most of the Shiites living in Iran, Iraq and Yemen. Both sects began in 632 and disagrree on the successor of The Prophet. For the Sunnis it is Abu Bakr, Father of the Prophet's wife Aishah. For the Shiites it is Ali Ibn Abi Tahib, husband of The Prophets daughter Fatimah. Shiites believe that Al Mahdi will come in th future while the Shiites say he is already on earth as the hidden Imam who works through Mutjahids to interpret the Quran. The Sunnis believe their leaders are human and the Shiites say their Imams are infallible manifestations of God. Got it.

I've got to start making these Tids shorter. But then, what else is there to do on a nice snowy day.

I hope everybody in Florida gets a sunburn today.

Love your weekend everybody!