Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Saturday, November 15, 2014

I sensed the bullets over my head; for the love of country I might soon be dead; But we charged on, all stood tall; For freedom, for all.

Today's Tids Issue 3,219
Opening Stuff:
 
I just discovered some relatives who had served in the Civil War and the War of 1812. Families have been touched by war even if they have never known it. But, I never did have to know about my own relations with the bitterness of war, the viciousness of man killing man. I have always felt for the Veterans. How can you not. How can you not look out today and say thanks. Some guy or gal I never knew may be the reason I’m here making typos. I was in the Army and was prepared for combat, but I never experienced the horror of being a target. I can say I’m a Veteran, but I never should be measured against a soldier. I was interested to learn Sunday that the VA is the second biggest US Government department. It should be. It breaks my heart to see a person maimed for life. I shed a tear, while feeling the pride in my heart.
 
So, do you think having Repubs in office will get the nation back to saying Merry Christmas instead of Happy Holidays? I doubt it, mainly because the new USA is a place where the screamers get the ink, while the quiet side sits back thinking that this can never happen because rational thinking is on our side. I know I’m to doing my part, countering every HH! With a Merry Christmas!
 
I knew I should have saved some of yesterday’s Tids for today. There are just so many tidlings out there, and they must be preserved like a green pasture with roaming stone walls. See, I am a conservationist, but I don’t recycle. Repeated Tids are like sleeping pills.
 
The Question:
“Selfie” is a new term, but not something new at all. Some of the most revered artists over the centuries have done self portraits. Name five of the best known artist’s self portraits.
 
The Headlines:
--8 Women In India Die, Dozens In Critical Condition After State Run Mass Sterilization Event; Country Trying To Stop Growth of Massive Population Now Over A Billion.
 --Many Gaps remain In Kerry-Iran Talks.
--Super Bowl Ad Sales Slower Than NormaL.
--Alibaba Singles Day Sales $2 billion In One Hour.
--China Unveils Sophisticated Stealth Fighter Aircraft.
--US. China Agree To Stop Tariffs On Tech Products.
--Push is On For High Court Ruling On Gay Marriage.
--16 To 24 Inches Of Snow To fall On Upper Wisconsin And Michigan In Next Day; Super Cold To Follow.
--Taxpayers Asked To Spend $33 Million To remove 800 Cormorants Before Demolition Of Decrepit San Fran/ Oakland Bridge; SF To Be Quarantined To Prevent Disjointed Thinking From Escaping And Infecting Rest Of Country.
--Limbaugh Threatens To Sue Dems For Defamation.
 
It looks like we have about a day and half left of a quasi- Indian Summer before Winter sets in  with over a week of super cooling.
 
In a new list of Best and Worst presidents, 0-Man is 7th Worst sandwiched between George Bush (8) and Richard Nixon (6). Worst is Harding preceded by Buchanan. On the Best side, #1 is FDR just ahead of Lincoln, Washington, Truman and yes, Clinton! Clinton #5 – this survey must be part of the Hillary for Prez program.
 
My opinion on the Supreme Court potential ruling on gay marriage is that it should be left up to the states. But then, I believe that 99% of what happens should be under local control.
 
The horrific story of the day has to be the one about India’s attempt to stop population growth that got way out of control. What in the hell did they do to those unsuspecting women who put trust in their government – 8 already dead and dozens of others in critical condition! Did government officials bring them to some doctor at the end of a dark alley? I am sick about it, and bewildered.
 
There are two things that really boggle my mind – How to write Software code, and ObamaCare.
 
I’m having trouble le getting my arms around anybody as a personal favorite in the Voice this year. I’ll be watching again tonight and give you a full report tomorrow on the first two nights of live action. Maybe it’s the song selection. Maybe they’re going for the youth market and that’s not me. Maybe it’s because they are heavier.
 
Speaking of mind numbing discussions, “Net Neutrality” could be on top of most people’s lists. The Prez announced that pushing for more regulation of the Internet providers will be on top of his final days-without-Dems agenda. It sounds like another Big Gov encroachment. Yet, consumers and content providers, who are often get Gov off my back internet players, like the idea. They consider the real “big Government” -- Verizon, AT&T, Comcast and Warner – the huge internet ramps who are controlling the speed, costs and opportunities of the now main communications medium for the world. This is a situation where you have step back from the idea, “If it’s Obama’s, it’s bad.” This is like the Railroad Trusts of the 1900’s. This is Teddy Roosevelt. But more important, this is about people being able to afford the internet and obtain speeds that are up to the standards of the rest of the world. Lots to think about here, and I wish I understood more.
 
A nice little bakery here named Katrinas just sold out. I’s always a sad day when the Mom and Pop shops go away. They are the real character of a town. You never replace them with an instant local favorite. You eventually be become another town with plastic storefronts.
 
The Answer:
When I think artist “Selfie”, I think of first is Van Gogh. And then, of course, the great one from Rembrandt Van Rijn, another of the best known possessing self adulation characteristics. Then there was Henry Matisse, a personal favorite. Albrecht Durer and a struggling artist named Leonardo di Vinci put their own faces on canvas. Other big name artist self portraits are Pablo Picasso and Andy Warhol (In fact, painting himself was one of Andy’s  favorite pastimes). Some others were Frida Kahlo, Francis Bacon, Max Beckmann, Jean-Michelle Basquiat and William Dobell; and who could ever forget, Susan Hunt.
 
I love Lee Greenwood singing Proud to be an American:
 
Happy Veteran’s Day, Everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment