Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Am I growing leaves yet?

Today's Tid Issue 2,639
Opening Stuff:

I'm half way through fresh local corn season, and I'm convinced I'm now a full fledged vegetarian.

No wonder nobody ever comes to visit me -- Newport RI (Where I live) is the most expensive place for hotels. The report by CheapHotels.org has Santa Monica Cal 2nd, and they are followed by Napa Valley's Calistoga, Martha's Vineyard, Cambridge Ma, Provincetown, Avalon Ca, Boston, Laguna Beach and Wailea Ha. The survey is based on minimum cost of room in a two star hotel. But then, maybe nobody comes because I charge $300/day. A nice little continental breakfast is a available.

I think what Sandy Weil, "Banking's Biggest Empire Builder", was saying yesterday when he disavowed his own imperial banking moves of the nineties was that the US is no longer this big ball of cotton that can absorb the wild eyed excursions into Neverland by Wall Street risk takers. With grey clouds like a $16 Trillion debt and unstable world economy now inextricably tied to American financial markets, negative vibrate violently and quickly to wallets of the average citizen.

The Question: 
Celebrity chefs are becoming a dime a dozen including all of those where celebrity is often a figment of ones imagination. We all know Julia Child set the table for celebrity chefs. Name a man who made quite a splash in early TV chefdom. Where was he located? What did he often have in his hand?

The Headlines:
--Rebels, Syrian Troops Continue Clash Over Turning Point Target, Aleppo; Rebels Fear They Are Outnumbered.
--Market Soaring After ECB Assures Protection Of Euro.
--Zynga, High Flying Internet Stock, Crashes; Insiders Cash Out $516 Million Before Crash.
--FaceBook Down 6% Ahead Of Earnings; Social Network Games Maker Zynga.
--Cuba Says It is Ready to talk To US.
--Romney Under Fire By Dems For Comments On London Readiness For Olympics.

Maybe some people out there are getting the message about Obama. The normally very pro-0-Man Providence Journal editorial writer had to admit this morning in a piece about Obama's sneaky executive order that would undermine the Welfare Reform Act. On jult 12 when nobody was looking the HHSruled that it can issue waivers letting states out of the "essential" work requirement. They concluded saying "Major changes should be done through the legislature with hearings and votes by lawmen with accountability -- not with a quiet rule Issued by the Executive branch in the heat of July."

I haven't watched much of AGT this year but I think the voters got it right last ight with all of their choices. I'm only tempted to peek at the show because some of the acts are very entertaining, But it's the over the top main cast is disturbing -- America's Got Egos. Mandel is basically unwatchable to me. Osbourne is always whining or uncontrollably gushing. Nick Cannon, while probably a nice guy, is just too loud. 

I hate to brag, but our weather here lately has been about as good as it gets during the summer. And it feels even cooler when watching heat wave reports from around country.

I see where ex-Oakland Raider and NFL superstar Kenny Stabler is joining in the suit against head injuries. I'm thinking for him it could be too many hard falls off too many bar stools.

There is something magic about the combo of simply grilled fresh swordfish and corn on the cob. It's the perfect midsummer treat

I don't need a barometer or any of that fancy weather stuff. I can tell changes by the way my computer mouse sticks or moves around on the table. In case you're interested, it's been getting better while I have been typing.

Humans conquer enemies and reduce fears only to be always faced with new challenges and gut wrenching disappointments. For instance, years ago you would always hold your breath when starting a car. Now it just hums alive regardless of weather conditions. Today's mini tragedies often cyber associated...as I sit here in deadly fear of pressing something wrong and have this mess I'm typing disappear forever. Don't you wish!

You don't Need a Study Department:
New Research says that popular music has become louder and less Original. Well, Duh! And all this time I thought it was because I was an old curmudgeon. In addition into measuring loudness, the research group studied the diversity of chords and melodies and determined that they have "Consistently diminished over 50 years". It would be great to be able to get back to humming again, and not have to resort to Tea for Two.

Did you know that Abe Lincoln was a licensed bartender? Maybe that's why he was such a good problem solver. He just knew how to stay in the background and listen to people's ails.

The Conscience: Chapter 5.
  "Hi Babes, sorry I'm late, I had a client meeting."
  She looked at me with her daily evening questioning expression, arms folded across her chest. Then I saw her cheeks puffing a bit. Her eyes widening. She could no longer hold it. Like a clap of thunder from nowhere, a laugh to dwarf all laughs filled the simple colonial kitchen. She turned red. Tears in her eyes. Her legs wobbled. She put her hand on a chair-back and pulled it towards her. She sat and continued laughing, head down propped in her hands with elbows resting on her knees. Now trying to regain normal breathing, she looked up. Tears were running down her cheeks. She looked at me, standing there, with my regular evening flush and tie askew. She burst again. and finally managed to shout, "A client!".
  "Yes a client. A very good client."
  "And, how long do you think you can keep this one, if there really is one?"
  She followed my everymove as I turned away and pulled jug of white wine form the cabinet. I poured a hefty glass. Put the cap on the bottle, then turned back towards Evvy, grabbed a chair and dragged to a spot in front of her. I kissed her nicely. and sat facing her. I lfited my glass and took a sip. "Oh would you like a glass of wine? She moved her head no. Now I could see she was curious.
  "Well Evvy, beautiful and understanding wife."
  "Stop the crap, Jeff. Right now, I just abide you."
  "As I was saying, I have this big client Barnard Yachts." She didn't say a thing. My old Fraternity Brother Jason is the CEO."
  "So this is true?"
  "They are sending me a $25 Thou retainer. Want to go to Fort Lauderdale?"
 
The Answer:
Graham Kerr was the Galloping Gourmet and probably the next big TV chef after Julia Child. He often carried a glass of white wine and many thought he got a little juiced as the show wore on. Kerr was born in London and though a series of food management moves wound up in New Zealand where his extroverted cooking talents blossomed. I thought he was fun to watch. In 1995 he and Julia teamed up for a PBS Special "Cooking in Concert". He received a PHD in Providence RI from Johnson and Wales U.

So, tomorrow's Friday. Just another day.

Actually, this was about finished at 9:00 this morn. Bit if a gap, I'd say.

No comments:

Post a Comment