Today's Tids Issue 2641
Opening Stuff:
It's all Olympics all the time it seems. The big opening day ceremony had it's peaks and valley's and over all seemed disjointed to me. Several of the scenes looked like episodes of "I Carley". And frankly several were as over done and tiring as half time at the Orange Bowl. The so-called big surprise event, getting-the Queen to the ball on time had promise, but at times displayed the professionalism of a High School YouTube stunt. As one reviewer said, "It would have done Hollywood proud." Unfortunately I was looking for the United Kingdom.

I hate to start the week on a negative tune but that's the way it was. But, how 'bout NK's Elizabeth Beisel's Silver medal in the grueling 400 meter IM. Second place you say! Well, Elizabeth swam her best time ever, and lost to a new world record. You can't ask for more than best time ever. RI is proud of its neighbor across the bay, up or down the road.

What does a Northeastern newspaper know about Chic-Fil-A? Nothing! Here's what a note from a Fayetteville North Carolina reader tells us. The shop nearest her like others in the area is very involved with the schools, among other community interests. They hire college students, for instance, to help with struggling local high School kids, educationally and functionally. The kids who work there learn important lessons in life development. The reader agrees whole-heartedly with Mike Huckabee who calls for August 1 as Chick-Fil-A Day!

The Question:
What's the fifth largest city in Georgia?

The Headlines:
--Romney Vows Support To Israel.
--370 Million In dark After Power Outage In India.
--Europe Woes Dragging Down Profits Of US Companies.
--SCJ Scalia Ups Criticism Of Health Care ruling.
--GM Ousts Global Marketing Chief.
--Market Futures Down.

President Obama should be voted out of office simply to get rid of Chicago politics at the National Level. "Corruption is as corruption does".

It seems to me these days that every month or so I'm writing about the passing of a local treasure. Last week saw the passing of Zaccagnini's Bakery, known for pan pizza, luscious cakes and pastries and the St. Joe Zeppole. Today it's the soon to be closed "Oldest Country Store in America", Grays in Adamsville RI. Grayton Waite, a sixth generation owner,
died and his son took over a formerly robust center for the small town, but now a mere museum to the past. In both cases it is the older generation who grew tired of working and the younger who didn't want it. Kind of makes you fear handing the country over to the younger generation who may look at ITunes as more important than the Constirution.

I have noticed a overwhelming number of women wearing ankle length skirts around town. I 've been told it is a new fashion trend, and that women are wearing the skirts for events as well as trips to the grocery store. Unfortunately, for some the dresses look like pedestals for heads. As we have noted in the past, all fashion trends aren't for everybody.

A woman I know, a very successful writer of college textbooks on morality and ethics, says that morality in America today is governed more by trending majorities rather than what's actually right or wrong. Trends most often supported by media, and sugar coated for an ever-grasping public. While, talking with this woman, four other people who are friends of a liberal bent were talking in typical, cliched demeaning and ridiculing tones about the Tea Party. The woman looked over at my glance across the proch towards the four and added, "I will never understand the gross intolerance of Liberals". Up to that moment I always thought she was a liberal! Now I see that she is a thoughtful woman who knows when to keep her mouth under control in a diverse crowd. Or at least, be kind to a conservative.

You'd think at 47 years old, Charlie Sheen would have figured out how to get rid of the sliver of hair on his forehead.

People often ask me how can be so powerful even as I age. This is often remarked upon after my booming drives on the golf course. The answer: - Vacuuming. And the muscles grow exponentially when it is soggy in the summer and the moisture saturated carpet kicks up the resistance factor. Find your strength where you can.

There could be a moral to this story Department:
I was watching a person in their car in a parking lot in a crowded downtown day waiting to spot a pedestrian emerging form the street on the way to their  car thus freeing up a space. The car would pause, and then drive around the circumference of the lot. They did it about 5-6 times. Finally they left. 20 seconds later, a couple emerged with packages going to their car. When to wait when to move on, that is the question. And damn hard to answer.

The Conscience: Chapter 5.  --
  I managed to just have two over-priced wines on the plane trip down. Evvy looked pleased when refused the third. She actually reached over and squeezed my hand. My body was quaking inside and I was sure I would die if I couldn't find some booze somewhere. I started to feel those gimme a drink chills. "Want to make love?" I whispered.
  I felt piercing elbow to the ribs. That got rid of the chills. Now dwelt on pure pain. I turned and smiled. I think she liked it that I was appearin human.
  "Are you nervous?" she asked in an understanding tune.
  I held out my shaking hand. "Look".
  "Alcoholics always shake. Tell me. Get serious for a minute or two. You owe me something. I'm here. You're still a drunk. But I'm here. What do you really think. Try to be honest for a change. I still am worried about it."
  She is always right, and I can't ever find a logistical way to disagree with her innate rational observations. I could only say, "I'll be cautious." How am I going to slip away and find a drink in the airport when we land?

Do you know what else makes me mad this morning? Music. I have 78's, 45's and hundreds of 33's. I have 500 CD's which are just great. Eventually thought they'll be forcing me to download everything form I-Tunes. Why!

In the summer, RI turns into RVI.

The Answer:
It turns out that Sandy Springs (Pop (94,000) is the fifth largest city in Georgia. They're not known for peaches, onions or football players. They are becoming known for getting it right. The City has 2 employees. Count em', 2! The city isn't  bound by pensions, colas, and too many people who don't seem to care about the customers -- tax payers. Everything is outsourced. Frankly it is better for everybody and always has been. Former town employees get better jobs and taxpayers get better service from more involved people. It can e even a wake up clall for losers. A retired guy from AT&T, Oliver Porter, inspired the entire system changeover. Hey, wait a minute...a business guy transforming and running an effective government! That can't be, can it? It has to be politicians who know their around...to lobbyist parties and free lunches.

Nothing has to be the way it was. But it's good to keep a little the-way-it-was under the mattress.

And, remember that o-w-e  is an anagram for w-o-e!

Nine out of ten business people say Tids is must reading when waiting in airports. It's better than utter boredom, they say.

Oliver Porter for President -- or a reasonable facsimile.