Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Monday, February 10, 2014

I'm my father's daughter.

Today's Tids Issue 3,024
Opening Stuff:

I was wondering Sunday night where I had been all of these years after watching the Olympic ice skating dancing pairs -- The Russians, The Canadians, The Americans. With each group achieving amazing heights only to be surpassed by the next. My heart is exploding with each crescendo, with each precision landing, I'm energized by pure, delightful grace as they soar upon the music of genius past. Maybe I hadn't wathced the dancing pairs much lately because I always had this imageI always remembered Ice dancing as skaters dressed in Latin American costumes doing a mambo or Tango; flitting around the ice to interpretive jazz. But now...now we have incredible athleticism, magnificent art.

The Beatles invaded USA's Age of Innocence as some kind of new and radical music group, and all they promoted was holding hands.

I hear through sources that Michelle O was a little late calling for a drone strike on the Rachel Rae show where  the diva chef was making cheese and french fry waffles topped with rich, brown, creamy gravy. I'm dying.

The Question:
Elmer Bernstein was nominated for 14 Oscars for scores he wrote for some of the greatest movies Name 5 of his movies.

The Headlines:
--Stocks Biding Time Awaiting First Remarks From Yellen.
--US Considers Drone Strike On American In Yemen Considered al-Qaida.
--Cold And Ice Poised Once Again To Hit Georgia And Previously Battered Atlanta.
--"Wrong Way" Drivers Kill Nine In Crashes In LA And Tampa.
--Tension Rising InArab Neighborhood Of Jerusalem; Vandalism Ramped.
--Syria Peace Talks Reopen In Geneva; Start Is Shaky.
--Best Defensive Linemen In SEC Says He Is Gay; Super Player Micahel Sam Comes Out; Too Late For SoU.

Where do the kids go, Department:
For Private colleges, only 50% of the students graduate. For state colleges it's down to 32%. Colleges with large number of commuter students could have graduation rates less than 20%. The reasons for leaving run from unprepared for collge to having to leave to add to the family income. The second main reason is based on reality. The first is based on inadequate education at lower levels, even as we continue to pout millions into it. The billions, however, to not create desire to learn. Surviving High school doesn't necessarily mean educated, despite the efforts of great teachers. We should should also be aware that large populations of "disadvantaged students" are placed through experimental government programs into freshman classes in State Universities around the country...and only 25% make it to graduations. Are university standards lower to accommodate? Are these college dropouts all of those limited educated youths looking for the jobs that used to be, but have vanished from the USA landscape. Is this the reason why democrats are urging higher minimum wages, to pick up the pieces of apparently failed educational program? It probably gets back to the old maxim that college isn't appropriate for everybody. This is the most disjointed column I have ever re-read. In reality though, in a way it reflects the situation of an evaluational system taken over by theorists and politicians from the hands of capable teachers. Maybe this column is confusing becasue the subject is today.

One of my favorite all time movies is Love Actually, starring Colin Firth, Hugh Grant, Kiera Knightly, Laura Linney, Liam Neeson among a cast of terrific characters. It's perfect film for Valentines Day.

When I get into my car I don't see a big computer screen, just a door pocket full of maps. I'm a big picture guy.

When you think about it, GPS is like a suffocating government, with people blindly following, not really knowing where they are or where they are going.

You have to wonder if they added agility competitions to the venerable Westminster Dog Show to increase TV viewership. Nah, you don't have to wonder, they probably did. Everybody else waters down their product for the tube. Is Goodell handling Westminster on the side?.

Actually, I'm and old gym rat, one of those people who spent hours or wasted youth playing or watching basketball...or any sport. But frankly, I don't watch it as much any more. I used be addicted to the college basketball games for instance, but now there are just too many, with so many of the great players leaving early. With too many payers not caring about their college but about the scouts in the crowd. College teams have become minor leagues for pros. Combine that with all of the league changes and manipulations and you really have a giant Hodge Podge of mediocrity and sameness. And frankly, just too much of it.

Actually, all of this ease of communication will eventually dilute just about everything that used to be personally special. Like your peace and quite and freedom from intrusions -- like the Tids. "The Tids -- Part of the Poison!"

Just to give you one example of how the networks work to expand the interest for a sporting event, the NBC execs actually positioned a "Tiger Cam" on the slopes at Sochi for the sole purpose of looking at the great golfer while Lindsey Vonn was skiing. The great objective of TV sports is to reel in more and more people who don't like sports.

With all of the news about the recent epidemic of deaths from heroin, I am reminded of one of the scariest movies I ever saw -- "Man with the Golden Arm"  This movie graphically showed the pain of drug addiction as opposed to much of what we see today that often tends to glorify drug dealers and the life styles of the Cokeheads and Junkies. The movie starred Frank Sinatra (His first big critically acclaimed film with Best Actor nomination)) as a card dealer with hope of becoming a drummer in the grasp of a painful addiction. It depicts the conniving of his wife and friends, and pure evil of those pushing him back into dependency, wonderfully acted by Eleanor Parker, Kim Novak, Arnold Stang and Darren McGavin among many others. It laid bare the ugliness of drug addiction and scared the hell out of me, a vulnerable kid of 18.

Political correctness makes it nearly impossible for journalists to find news.

The Olympics brought out, once again, the innate negativity of Journalists -- from the hotels to the opening extravaganza. For instance, the opening ceremony was outstanding, really magnificent, and all some scribes could write was "Glitch", referring to the missing ring. But, this is typical of what we see today. Too often writers, supposedly there to report, only write what's inside their ideological minds.

In case you haven't noticed, news-people have already started looking for the bad in Brazil. Probably just working up to the elections where they can smear some good Americans.

The Conscience: Chapter 36.
     I felt trapped between reality and emotions for the first time in years. Normally I would just drink my way through it all, and go on smiling. But with the truth comes a little more responsibility. I, all of a sudden, was no longer a self anointed victim, a  loser without courage. I was living in a world I didn't know, hadn't see since I was 18 or 19 years old. A world far beyond that one which for the majority of my life was consuming my body and my mind; A world unknown to all who love me. Until today.
     I looked at my wife and heard Angelica repeating in my ear. "Mr. Morgan...Jeff..are you there? Are you al right?" Finally I reacted without booze. "Sorry, Evvy, it's Angelica. We have to get this thing moving." She nodded mechanically.  Her words said "I understand" but her eyes betrayed her courage. "Who are you," they said. She was scared for so many reasons she couldn't begin to pick one. She just nodded hoping that soon it would all go away.
    "Hi Angelica, sorry for the delay." I looked again at at Evvy who was now walking in her own world, the one she has probably lived in all these years of putting up with me. "We have a lot to talk about, You have to be careful." I started to tell the big story, but she interrupted.
    "You have to come back here now. Your last call scared me, and now I think everybody is watching me. I try to go about the business of running the company, but I always seem to see my mother watching."
    Now, I gave her a quick overview of the story, leaving out d]little details, like me being a loser. "I'll be there tonight," I began after I finished the tale. I have a lot of ideas. And, I think, a grand plan. Talk to your grandfather, and try to feel him out. I know you can trust him. In fact, he may be trying to hide something  from you, you know...to protect you."
      "You sound good today, Mr. Morgan." She laughed that little laugh. I looked over at Evvy. She didn't turn to see what was in my eyes.
    "Ciao", I said, proud of my improving Italian.

The Answer:
To Kill a Mockingbird was one of his earlier films an is still considered one of the best in Hollywood history.. The Magnificent Seven and The Ten Commandments were considered two of his greatest. He won an Oscar for the original score for "Thoroughly Modern Millie". It would take til tomorrow's Tids if I were to list them all, but here's about a tenth of them -- Airplane. Cape Fear, The Great Escape, The Age of Innocence, Walk on the Wild Side, Hawaii, National Lampoon's Animal House, Blues Bothers, Trading Places, Summer and Smoke, My Left Foot, Legal Eagles, Rain Man, Gangs of New York and the incidental music for one of the most acclaimed Music Videos: Michael Jackson's Thriller. There isn't person on earth who hasn't heard a little Elmer Bernstein in some way or another.

Below is the latest in The Tids series love related songs leading up to V-Day. In this one you will see a little of what The "Daughter" is getting slammed for today:

No comments:

Post a Comment