Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Friday, February 28, 2014

Save the Lemmings!

Today's Tids Issue 3,030
Opening Stuff:

There are so many "Me" people in sports and the entertainment industry, that it was refreshing yesterday to hear Red Sox pitcher Ryan Dempster quit baseball, saying he didn't think he could pitch the way he should, and didn't think the team should pay him for doing nothing. He was making $13.5 Mil. He finished by saying I have made enough money! Compare that to Alex Rodriquez and many others who will be paid huge millions way past their productive prime.
I see where NFL commish Goodell
says he is going to try and professionalize the Leagues locker rooms. I say that if he can pull that off, he can take on the Middle East next.

0-Man and his followers seem to imply that every successful person has victimized a disadvantaged person. Obama seems intent to divide the house against itself, the house that Lincoln put back together.

The Question:
Name 5 movies of Molly Ringwald. Bonus: Molly, said by some to be America's best ever teen actress, was a member of the "Brat Pack" - a group of other hot young actors of her age. Name them.

The Headlines:
--US Wins First Gold Medal Ever In Ice Dancing.
--Older People Biggest Sign-Up Group For ACA.
--Fallon Gets Good Reviews For Opening Night.
--Coca Cola Profit, Revenue Falls.
--0-Man To Order New Fuel Standards For Trucks.
--Two Female Members Of Russia Punk Band Pussy Riot Detained In Sochi Hotel On Suspicion Of Theft.
--Both Sides Predict Break-Through Deal In Iran Nuke Talks Nearly Impossible.
--Samsung Confirms Soon To be Announced Smartphone With Fingerprint Reading Capability.


I poached the following lines from from a reader's note. "The President's premise -- that you reduce income inequality by debasing the successful-- seeks to deny the successful the consequences of their choices and spare the unsuccessful the consequences of their choices. Because, by and large, income variations in society is the result of different choices leading to different choices. Those who choose wisely and responsibly have far greater likelihood of success while those who choose foolishly and irresponsible have far greater likelihood of failure."

Choices are only the beginning, because attributes like effort and honesty and ambition enter into the formula. But, the above statement implies that income is success. In fact there are many choices that are made in favor of contributing to society, surely a responsible choice, but one that that may result in lower income. The fact remains though, that is a choice generally with full knowledge available while making it.

I look at the arrogant, unctuous Eric Holder and think, Wow, did Alberto Gonzales ever get one of the great political screwings of all time. Where was the Hispanic outrage on that one?

One of the most famous landmarks at the Augusta National Golf Club, home of the Masters, is the "Eisenhower Tree". Because of the massive Georgia ice storm last week, most of the branches were snapped off, and the tree had to be removed. It was named after the President because every time Ike teed off on that hole he hit that tree. He led the charge among members to have removed, but at Augusta, even being president carried no weight. Kind of reminds me of the the old America "Of the people..." Remember, it pays more than gold not to accept money from the Federal governemnt.

I still haven't stopped laughing over Kerry's "Weapons of Mass Destruction" comparison to climate change. It's obvious though,  the White House in this latest attempt to divert attention from their many sins, are ganging up to once again ram something about climate change down the throats of fawning lemmings.As I write, I have this vision of miles and miles of lemmings, mouth's wide open, looking towards Washington as they shiver sitting, paws up, upon the frozen tundra of the mid state USA chanting, "We're not cold, we're not cold." (Note: Lemmings are small furry rodents usually found in the arctic. How come the human lemmings are intent in saving mean ole' polar bears instead of cute little cousins?)

Italy is proof positive that countries don't need Governments.

I keep the medal count a little differently than the newspaper reports. For instance, as I type the medal count is  Russia 18, USA 18, Netherlands 17, Norway 15 , Canada 14 and Germany 12. But, if you assign points 5, 3, 1 to Gold, Silver, Bronze respectively, the country list then becomes Russia 52, Neth 47, Ger 46, USA 46, Can 45, and Nor 42.

We have had climate change since the beginning of time, and there is no reason to believe that we are not entering a new climatic cycle brought on by the same natural sources that have governed climates for eons.  The current political focus on weather reminds me of leaders thousands of years ago who would threaten volcanic eruptions if the people didn't get in line. Me, I'm more worried about guilt if I sneak a piece of rich dark chocolate.

Of course, O-Pal Soros has never victimized the elderly by shorting the markets with his gigantic billion dollar hedge-fund.

The Conscience: Chapter 38 continues.
       I have to admit I was pretty excited about seeing Angelica this morning. I had asked her to meet me in that little cafe where I first saw her grandfather, primarily because it was the only cafe I knew. I figured that if they went to the trouble to bug me in a hotel room, how easy would it be to record anything they wanted in the office. I involuntarily moved to the right as I passed the  so-called "Forbidden" Biglietto factory. Of course, Angeleica and I knew now why it was so heavily secured, and it is probably why I'm looking over my shoulder all of the time.
     My fears faded fast as I saw Angelica waving her hand at me, as she approachd from one of the other alleys. Her smile seemed a mile wide, but her yes looked severe. As she neared she ran the last few steps and then latched on to my arm. "I feel better now." She turned her head and looked into my eyes and I could see fear. I know she wanted me to hear what she said becasue she didn't speak in Italian as she might have if she was just fooling around, being playful as she can. She pulled my arm and turned me back in the other direction. "If it is not good to meet in my office, than it is not good to meet in this cafe. I have another place," she said. She was walking fast, and I at first stumbled a bit trying to catch up to her stride. Now it was me who was afraid. But of course, being the hero type, I didn't show it. I may have a littlle brandy with my coffee I thought.

The Answer:
Molly was pretty prolific, but she is best known for Tempest, Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink, Malicious, Fresh Horses, Betsy's Wedding* and For Keeps. *Received "Golden Raspberry Award" nomination  for worst actress. Bonus: The Brat Pack included Molly, Demi Moore, Ali Sheedy, Rob Lowe, Judd Nelson, Emilio Estevez and Anthony Michael Hall. That was the core group, but also linked to the group were Tom Cruise, Keven Bacon, Robert Downey Jr., Mare Winningham, Matt Dillon, Thomas Howell, Ralph Macchio, James Spader, Mathew Broderick, Lea Thompson, John Cusak, Jon Cryer, Jamie Gertz and Mary Stuart Masterson.

Make good choices today.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment