Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Monday, August 24, 2015

Game on: Trump is wearing baseball cap.



Today's Tids Issue 3,406
Opening Stuff:

The giant W-o-o-s-h you will hear this week is collective mommyhood sinking rapidly into soft comfortable squooshy cushions as the kids foist their energy upon school bus drivers and teachers. Yes the school bells are ringing quite early this year, which may be a pre-season cushion against have to many snow days this Winter. Brrrr. Hey Mom, where di you put my fleece?

The 4 million plus subscribers to the Newsmax eNewsheadlines service were asked to vote for their favorite among the 16-18 Repub candidates. A little more than 13.6% of the total subscribers have voted so far, with Trump receiving over 51% (278,092) from this group of Americans which probably leans quite a bit conservative. Next was Scott Walker at 27.5K, Ben Carson at 26.6K and Ted Cruz at 25.7K. The Donald gets 51% and the next three are in the 4-5% range. Yikes! I put a vote in for Carley who received less than 1 %. Jeb received around 20K, and then there were three in the 12-13K range – Rand, Huck and Marco. All of the rest were 7K or lower with Perry at 7K and Kasich at 6.5K as the highest. Very In-ter-esting.

In another new poll, Rasmussen says that 57% of Repubs now think that Trump will be their nominee. Yes, we do live in a Kardashian world.

Brookins and MacNelly remind us of the folk singer guitar player with a rash which was diagnosed as Burl Hives.

One thing I have learned from watching golf over the years is that the whoops and shouts of Tiger Woods fans do not correlate to the quality of  the golf shot.

The Question:
There are only five states in the USA that have no city over 100,000. Name them. Bonus: Name four characters other than those in the title of the funny 70’s Laverne and Shirley show. Additional points if you can name the actors who played them.

The Headlines:
--London, Euro Markets Continue Correction Slide On China Slowdown; US Futures Down 2%; Tension Running High On Street; Oil Dips Below $39.
----ISIS Has Blown Up Historic, Deeply Important Palmyra Temple Built In First Century.
--France Fetes Three American Heroes Who Stopped Possible Massacre On Train; Three Receive Prestigious “Legion Of Honor”/.
--Louisiana State Trooper Hans On To Life After Being Shot In  face During Traffic Stop.
--Former AG Says FBI Hunting Investigating Hillary, Not computer.
--Joe Biden Makes Unscheduled Trip To Huddle With Left Favorite Elizabeth Warren.
--11 Killed During UK Air Show Crash.

O, moon high up in the deep sky; Your light sees regions I cannot see; Let your brightness remain still; Peer into human dwellings; Is my lover there? Where would he be? Send him upon your silvery beams, feelings that I feel; Let him sense my warmth in the arms of your Glow; Light up his way in strange lands. Tell him I am waiting. Is he thinking of me? – Paraphrased from Dvorak’s aria “Song to the Moon” in his opera Rusalka.  Music is nice too.

Heart stopping Recipes, Department:
Today I bring you a delight from the Tids favorite southern cook – Bacon Jam. (Heart Warning: Wait three months between batches). Ok, in a medium sauté pan cook 1 lb chopped bacon (Thicker is better. Buy real bacon)  until crisp. Remove bacon, then add to grease 2 finely chopped large onions, sauté til carmelized. Add bacon back to onions and stir in ½ cup brown sugar, ½ cp apple cider, ¼ tsp chili powder, dash of cayenne pepper, a splash of coffee and pepper. Cook on low for 45 minutes until thick jam forms.  

Thomas Sowell, the eloquent black columnist, has this to say about America and it’s growth: “The endlessly repeated argument that most Americans are the descendants of immigrants ignores the fact that most Americans are not the descendants of illegal immigrants.”

I think Anton Dvorak is one of the most prolific and listenable composers of them all.

I hate capitalization of words for emphasis in the middle of a sentence. (Or bold face or italics).

I‘ve coined a wird that could be come standard in those beach front home sale shows – “Viewtiful”. Or maybe I just think I’ve coined it. Maybe it’s ben uused for years. Why would it, since most people think a beautiful house is all about the view anyhow.

Is a pundit a guy who tells bad jokes.

The first big disastrous storm of the Hurricane season was on Wall Street. At least with high winds, somebody warns you ahead of time to put plywood on the windows. Oh, for a piece of plywood Thursday morning.

Something for Everybody, Department:
This coming week will kick off the five day conference in Downtown Providence RI where speakers and discussion groups and films will explore Necronomicon. Yes, I said five whole days will be intense for lovers of H.P. Lovecraft (A Providence writer) and in particular his fictional book of magic mentioned in the story “The Hound”. This fictional book has been romanced by many wirters and so mesmerized readers that many believe the magic book is real. And, Donald Trump is a real candidate too. 5 days. Man. Wow.

A reader sends this prayer for a Tids writer: “Dear Lord, Thank you for my sick sense of humor and sarcasm. I feel bad every time I laugh. Sort of.”

Read Any Good Books Lately, Department:
Speaking of reader input, how great a would i8t be if you sent in  your favorite books of the omnet and The Tids Book Editor compiled a list for all to consider? Zowie! Everybody, it seems to these observant ears, is always to find anew idea for a book to read. So send in your Ideas, and I’ll look for some myself.

Speaking of reading, I as a fledging author of 4 ½ novels am often asked in meetings with other writers what I read. I generally reply, The Comics, which befuddles them completely. I see a lot of life in the weekday and Sunday comics. Many writers tell me they are swayed by established writers and it becomes part of their style. Personally, I think that creating something new should not be tinged by another’s soul.

The Parking Lot: Chapter 10 continues…
    I made a dish of ice cream for my beautiful little Jessica Watson, and sat her atop a large plastic sheet covering the rug. I’m not a completely ignorant grandfather. I moved to my chair by the =window, tumbling around the compact in my pocket as I walked.
   Hmm, I thought to myself as I drew it out and placed on my lap, “Are you the prize in the Cracker Jack box?” I picked it up and held it in the light, and there was a different kind of richness to the glow of the polished metal. Is my imagination over dramatizing htthis little case, or is there something special? I popped it open, noticing that the mechanism worked freely. I remember often watching my wife before she passed away, fiddling with difficult to open compacts. This was not like that. I looked inside, and saw that most of make-up material was gone, now on Jessica’s face. I had thought some clue might be buried in the peach colored gunk. Like a safety deposit box key! No such luck.
   I put it on the table to my right and stared at it. It wasn’t talking. But, as I stared I became intrigued with the design on top. It didn’t seem typical of the lok of the few compacts I had seen in my life. But, it may just have been that imagination again looking for an easy answer. Time for a trip to Tiverton.

(Note: As I am writing this on the fly each morning, I see needs for plot alterations, which I also adapt as needed. Some of the small changes may conflict with somthing you remember reading, but it will work out in the end. And when I go back to re-edit, the conflict you remember won’t be there. So, get over it, and enjoy what you read in the moment.)

The Answer:
West Virginia is one and the rest are Wyoming, Vermont, Delaware and Maine. I always thought Wilmington Delaware and Portland Maine were pretty large,  -- they both looked it to me – but they are anly &0K and 66K respectively. Bonus: Cindy Williams (Shirl) and Penny Marshall (“L”) were joined by Lenny (Michael McKean and Squiggy (David Lander). Laverne’s dad was Frank DeFazio played by Phil Foster and then there was Carmine played by Edie Mekka. Also frequently on the show was Rhonda Lee played by Leslie Esterbrook.

A rousing Anton Dvorak will send a shiver up your bones as you rub the weekend blear from your eyes. Enjoy his Psalm 149 for Chorus and Orchestra: https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-006&ei=utf-8&fr=ytff1-yff16&p=dvorak%20psalm%20149%20youtube&type=

Hey, life is a lot more than Rock n’ Roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment