Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Friday, November 11, 2016

Mine Eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord…




Today's Tids  Issue 3,727
For the brave, and for those left behind.

There is but one spotlight that should be shown today. Not one upon the President Elect or anarchists marching in the streets, but a bright light on all of the veterans dead and alive who represent the conviction and courage of a great nation. Today we illuminate all of those men and women who have donned proudly the uniforms of the USA. All of those who faced the terror of battle, not only protect the homeland but to inspire freedoms throughout the world. I feel my heart pounding to the rhythm of the keys as I type; I look into the skies an see heroes from all of the wars marching by. I see the determination and pride in their eyes.

I remember one day in the latter sixties walking out to the street in front of my little home and finding a record album lying there. It was one featuring Leonard Cohen. “Leonard who?”, I asked myself, standing there in my pinstriped suit. I brought it inside and put it on the turntable. We listened to it and then, we listened to it again. It became one of my all-time favorites. Leonard’s husky voice and quiet guitar soothed our home. It‘s a could lesson: Don’t dismiss anything out of hand just because it may oppose your preconceived notion of the way the world should be. I think I’ll go down and dig out that old record. I wonder if the needle works through mildew!

I just had a horrible thought. Americans have this constant urge to emulate success. How bad would it be if men everywhere started walking around with a Trump Hairdo! Holy tonsorium, Batman! Canada, here I come.

The Question:
What was the name of the Forest in which the Armistice was signed that ended the fighting in WWI. Bonus: Who was the President who authorized the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Big Bonus: Who Was Mary Mallon? Special Bonus: List the various of wars by number of combat deaths of brave men and women.

The Headlines:
--Trump And Obama Appear To have Talked Sensibly For 90 Minutes.
--Stocks Open Lower.
--Taliban Attack German Embassy In Kabul Killing 6.
--China’s Giant eCommerce Company Alibaba Smashes Sales Record On “Singles” Day (China’s Biggest Shopping day).
--Trump Tweets Out Praise For Protestors; “We Will Come Together And Be Proud”.
--UAW Supporting Trump On His Views Of NAFTA; Trump Names Paul Atkins As Financial Regulations Guru – Atkins Is Anti Heavy regs; Could Lead To Dismantling Of Dodd-Frank.
--Professional Protestors Turn Anti Trump March Into Violence; Seattle Organization Recruiting “Professional Protestors” On Craig’s List; Protest Looking Less And Less As Spontaneous.
--Riot Police Fill Egypt’s Streets As Threat Of Violent Protests Over Austerity Cuts Loom.
--Leonard Cohen Dead At 82.

“So, those elections were quiet the surprise.” I sat there in the chair waiting for a response from my barber, a Chinese woman, an immigrant about 40 or so years old. A great barber. I thought I felt a little silence, “Why should I open my heart to this balding old man,“ the silence seemed to say. Finally, in a blurting sort of way, “The little guy needs help in this country. My husband and I work hard, but we are forgotten. He says the right things,” she went on, “But all of the time he kept on saying something stupid, and that made me worry.” I looked up and saw she was smiling. “So we voted for him, because he is saying what we feel. I hope we didn’t make a mistake.” I told her, not to worry, you and your husband own a little piece of land up in northern Maine and you can always go up there and hide in the woods if it gets bad. Well, she thought was pretty funny and started waving her scissors and laughing to the point where I reached up to be sure my nose was sill there.

That is for the people who keep complaining that it was white men who elected trump.

In these days of mass and rapid communication, the slow plodding of an Electoral College process to elect is more important than ever. Eliminating the Electoral College would be akin to eliminating the House of Representatives in favor of an Internet vote on all bills, which would effectively eliminate the voice of any minority.

Of course, the Republicans in Rhode Island is one minority which has no representation at all either nationally or on the state level.

Conan O’Brien: “Don’t worry Hillary, America has a special place for people who lose. It’s called Celebrity Apprentice.”

Samantha Bee (Whoever she is): “It was white people who ruined America”.

It is no accident that the word “Good” looks a lot like the word “God”.

I’m thinking that Donald Trump will be the first president in history who’s hair doesn’t turn grey after four years.

The first thing that Congress should do is ban the use of Twitter by sitting presidents.

I remember always while watching international news reports  feeling happy knowing that the USA doesn’t look as chaotic as “those crazy Arabs” protesting on the streets of Baghdad. I think we are regressing rapidly. This observation may have something to do with “Let’s make America great again.”

Reading Between the Lines Movie Reviews:
--Arrival is a different kind of alien invasion movie. It is tense because of the threat, not the mass destruction. Amy Adams is terrific as a linguist, part of team sent to decipher the intentions of who is ever inside spacecraft hovering over key populated areas around the world. The threat of works annihilation is very real in this one, and what makes it so scary is that it is so real. I’d go.
--I watched the commercials for Almost Christmas and crossed it off my list. Critics don’t like it, but for some reason audiences do. A beloved patriarch of a family asks for one gift, that the family gets along. If they can honor this by spending five days under one roof without killing each other it will be a Christmas miracle.
--The plot of Shut In sounds super scary, and I believe the movie is. Naomi Watts is a child psychiatrist in a small New England town treating a young boy. He goes missing and she is sure his ghost is now haunting her home. According to reviews, I don’t think it is too good.
There’s another new move out today starring Nick Cage, Tom Sizemore and Tom Jane. It is “US Indianapolis”, and it is about the heart pounding tale of American sailors shipwrecked and trying to survive in shark infested waters towards the end of WWII. I’m seeing way below average reviews for this one, though it may be special to some..

The Answer:
The fighting ended with the Armistice signing in the Forest of Compiegne. Bonus: Warren Harding Presided over the ceremony to honor the remains of an unknown. Now honored by all Americans to represent all who are missing. Big Bonus: Mary Mallon was more popularly known as “Typhoid Mary”. She died on an island off of NYC after being quarantined there for 23 years. That was less than 100 years ago, just incase you wonder if we have made any progress in medicine. Special Bonus: At the top was WWII with 291,557 killed, Next is the Civil War with 214,938 ((140,414 Union, 74,924 Confed). After those biggest two we have WWI – 53,402, Viet Nam – 47,424, Korean – 33,686, Revolutionary - 8,000 (17,000 Civilian), Iraq-Afghanistan – 5,790, 1812 – 2,260 and 12,740 other. (Note it is estimated that total number of deaths of Americans due to the fighting in the Civil war was 750K, including the 214 K above).

Today marching will fill the streets of America. People in unison will cheer. Tears will be shed as memories ignite. And hearts will swell. Let’s hope those other marchers take a moment to watch, and maybe understand.

Have a great weekend, E-v-e-r-y-b-o-d-y!!



No comments:

Post a Comment