Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Mommy, can I get a balloon at the memorial service?

Today's Tids Issue 2,275
Opening Stuff:

Walking in the snow next to a wintry ocean beach at Sachuest Point is to me oneness with God and the wonders of the beautiful earth. I am hypnotized by the deep blue crystalline winter wavelets, mesmerized by the cliffs and gorge at Tuckerman and anthecised by the dreams inspired by simple majesty. I see footprints in the snow, meandering like me, and wonder if they are thinking what I am thinking, seeing what I am seeing. Have they noticed something I have missed. Are they inspired in ways I am not. Similar footprints, but different thoughts, different motivations, different joys, different heartbreaks. Are they the footprints of a lover thinking about a lover. Are they the footprints of saddened person thinking about a pain. Or are they the footprints of a person like me who thinks therere is nothing as grand as walking on a lonely seaside beach on a winter's day.

Take away the medicine man. the blatant U Arizona promotion, the rock concert style screaming students and the glad handing of a political rally, and we may have had a proper memorial service last night, with a tone that befit the tragedy. Lord knows, President Obama did his best to do it right. Remembering all of the people dead and recovering, and their families. Properly putting in perspective the motivations of the killing. Understanding that it is the hearts of the survivors and the memories of the fallen which are the reason for the gathering. Too bad it wasn't held in a quiet church atop a Tucson hillside.

That Westborough Baptist Church from Kansas is giving God a bad name.

The Question:
Reagan, Clinton and GW gave mending speeches similar to that of Obama's last night. What were the National tragedies? Who talked the longest?

The Headlines:
--Obama Talks.
--Illinois Buried Under Huge New tax Increase; No Effort Made To Cut Spending Or Cause Of deficit.
--Unemployment Claims Jump Up By Highest Level Since October; 35,000 Added As Retailers Cut Holiday Workers; Tids Economics Department Says Increase expected.
--Lebanon Government In Crisis As Hezbollah Walks Out.
--Sulfuric Acid Laden Tanker Capsizes In Germany's Rhine.
--Rains Ease In Drenched Australia; Increase In Muddy Brazil.
--Pop Culture Focused On Germany's Cross-Eyed Opossum.

Back to More Stuff:
I've had a lot of addictions over the years and kickin' them can be difficult. Really difficult. But getting "24" out of my system has been one of the toughest. I have had a lot of support from Bauer lovers throughout the nation. I'm setting up a "24" Hot-line here at Tids Central. If you feel the pangs, want to talk about special memories of your favorite character, cajesu@verizon.net will bring you to a very sympathetic, empathetic ear...one probably in need of your understanding too. It is a tough world out there.


Atlanta-Green Bay; Pitt-Balt; Jets-Pats! God help The Tids Sports department. I'm walking away form this week and letting the guys in the trenches stick out their necks. Well, even though I am secretly rooting for another Seahawks upset, Chicago at home just seems to be too much so I'm picking da Bears 24-20. (Hmmm: The Pats clobbered Chi at home.) Ok. The Pats aren't going to go 46-3 again, but they will find a way. 21-10 Pats. I have no clue on the other two. But, I'm going Balt 24-23 with a late Ed Reid pick the difference. I have to stick with Green Bay. I'm just not sure about Atlanta despite the record...28-24. Last week we were 2-2 and not even anywhere near being close onthe scores.

49% of Rhode Islanders voted in November. A mere 1/3 of those voted for the Gov. That means that that about 17% of the state voted for the new governor. That seems to be about the number of public employee union members and their supporters. And that 17% of the state now has the pwoer to run our lives and change our culture...and pick our pockets. Can you say Recall?

For starters, in the wake of this Tucson Tragedy, Tee Squared, I suggest that instead of the usual hysteria to ban guns, that Congress vote to put The Ten Comandments in all schools. "Thou Shalt Not Kill" seems to have relevance, and as far as I can see no religeous overtones. Just common sense. In fact, if there was no God, civilized societies would still have something like the 10 Commandments at their practical, moral and cultural core.

This reminds me of an old joke about devilish little kid who suddenly turned angelic after his first day at Catholic grammar School. A teacher asked what made him change. He answered: "When I walked into the classroom and saw what they did to that guy on the cross, I knew they meant business here."

You might want to check out today's 4th Q report form Intel. Not for their 4Q profit, but for their sales forecasts going forward. It is all about the future of the laptop versus the Tablets, and I-Pad in particular.

Almost Near: Chapter 1 continues. --"So you knew My Grandfather?" Jimmy stared at Samantha as if trying to place her face.
"I am Ginny's -- you know Ginny up on the hill -- neice. I used to run around town when visiting, and often found myself in the back yard here. Primarily, of course, because your grandfather had that creeky old fashioned swing. I used to sit in it and think about my boyfriend." Samantha's eyes drifted away, while Jimmy just stared at her patiently. "Oh...," She laughed. I am boring you to tears I bet. I'm here to get a room. I haven't been in town for years, and I just want to stay in town a few nights and explore everything. And see some old friends. I hope they are still here."
"I was probably too young to remember you, but you must know my Dad. He's down in Boston today and tomorrow. The Red Sox, you know!" Jimmy's eyes twinkled at that. "You never did tell me your name."
"Oh, " she laughed and a little tear came to her eye. "Oh, I'm Samantha Jergins."
"I'll tell my dad when he and I talk on the phone. He let's me run this place, but not really." Now it was his turn to laugh."Well, I think that old townies deseve the best room! What do you think?"
Samantha just nodded with a smile on her face. Things were beginning to work out.
After signing in, she walked out to get her suitcase and assorted stuff. She was on a real high now. Just as she stepped into the crumbling cobblestone street, a football crazily bounced her way and caromed off of her shin. She looked to her right as she bent to pick it up. Three boys, about ten, were standing, staring with their mouths open. Samantha picked up the ball and hurled a perfect spiral their way.
One boy stepped forward and caught it. "Gee, lady. You can really throw a ball! Want to play with us." She was home.

I happened to tune into Chris Matthews yesterday afternoon. Personally, I think he has lost his mind. I used think he was decent, and pretty smart even when in opposition. But that tingle in his leg has sent him in a complex direction.

A lot of people probably don't like the 10 Commandments because they get in the way of selling a lot of crap.

I love this irony. Animal lovers in the imagined goodness of their hearts have been tagging King Penguins to help provide scientific data that might add enjoyment to their old age on the ice cap. But what they learned decisively was that placing placing metal bands on the flippers shortened their lives and drastically cut down on their ability of procreate. Don't mess with Mother nature.

Liberals writing in the press often snidely respond to Politicians saying they want to do the will of the people by explaining that we are a representative government, not a true democracy. They add that Pols are elected to be reasoned and to use their "wizened" judgement to decide what's best for the people. There is one giant flaw in that. The vast majority of lawmakers aren't as smart as the people and have no Idea about what is good for them. Only what 's good for the propagation of their power and the satisfaction of those that own them.

The only thing less smart than politicians is the "Spell Check" system on this machine.

The Answer:
Reagan talked after the Challenger explosion. Clinton remembered the victims of the Oklahoma City bombing and Bush of course delivered a caring memorial for 911. Obama's talk was 34 Mins (Some of the time due to political rally style cheering). Reagan was the shortest at about 8 minutes. Clinton and Bush were about the same at half that of Obama. Good things can be said in small talk.

The End
"Duh" Department:
Clueless Lane has done it again. This morning's financial headline says "Markets down on bad unemployment news". I though these folks looked beyond the moment. They should have built in that downturn at least four months ago. It is not rocket science. When an abnormal selling season like the holidays end, jobs are lost. It happens every year. God help us.

In closing, a special mention for the 14 wounded of Tucson rarely recalled by the press and observers: Ron Barber, Pat Simon, Susan Hileman, Eric Fuller, George Morris, Mavy Stoddard, Mary Reed. There are six more and I can't find them. Isn't it a shame that is is so hard to remember all of the people.

No comments:

Post a Comment