Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Ziggy Circles.

Today's Tids Issue 2,285
Opening Stuff:


One of the great things about email, is that on cold cloudy days, lots of warm sunshine can come your way.

The problem with vegetarians is that they are promoting their food so much that prices are bound to climb way beyond the level of good value. (Value is measured as dollars divided by taste bud modules.) As almost anybody moderately aware of economics knows, the poor tend to be heavier because they eat the cheapest foods -- Pastas, taters and Tasty Cakes. Hmmm? What's wrong with that?

How many people think like I do that it is odd how the media follows Gabby Gifford's every movement, every flutter eyelid, every ambulance transfer? I wonder why? Is it because it is the only Democrat with any guts that the media has left to write about.

The Question:
Another bonus Double "Q" today! 1. Actually, this morning I'm savoring a big win by Providence basketball over Villanova (PC's 2nd in a row over a top 25 team) Which conferences have the most teams in the top 25 list? 2. Exactly what is a "Ziggy Circle"?

The Headlines:
--Egypt Fiery Anti-Gov Protests Continue For Third Day.
--SS Fund To Be Kaput By 2037.
--Dollar Spikes After S&P Downgrades View Of Japan's Debt.
--New Unemployment Data Rises Unexpectedly; New Apps Surge 51,000 To 454,000; Stock Futures Down.
--Econ Doubts Have Foreclosures Rising In 149 Of 207 Largest Metro Areas Across The Country; Continued Unemployment The Problem; Phoenix, Chicago, Detroit Metros Hit Hardest.
--Bombs Kill 37 At Baghdad Funeral.
--Palin PAC Has More Than $1.3 Million In Cash.
--Mandela Hospitalized.

Back to More Stuff:
I see where the IRS has new "App" for easy filing. Just what I need, the initials IRS on my smart phone. I only think about that intimidating collection agency once a year. I don't need to see them when I'm scrolling to my favorite app: "Junk food of the Day".

The world was a lot nicer before the arrival of mass produced lawyers.

I don't follow American Idol too closely in these early rounds. Just a little too much contrived stuff for me. But, it looks like the talent pool in Wisconsin was better than that of the Apple last week. Among the promising aspirants are Scott Dangerfield, Beghun, Emma Henry, Jerome Bell, Naima Adedapo, Thia Megia, Molly DeWolfe Swensen, Scotty McCreery and Chris Medina. I'm think that I could get to like Emma, Naima, Thia and Scotty a lot as this goes on. That is, if they can continue to get better as the competiton moves along. And is this a year we can get the boppers to vote for someone other than a cute guy with a modest talent?

I'm thinking that the media has just discovered manufacturing as I'm seeing lots of frothy reports by wide eyed wet behind the ears "veteran" newsmen touting the amazing things that go into making product. Things any body from the lowest spot on an assembly line to head of engineering has known for 200 years.

Grow Up Department:
Some of you may remember the kid who showed up on the sandlot with baseball almost devoid of tape and a bat without a screw holding it together. Then he would say "If you don't let me play I'll take my bat and ball and go home." That sounds a lot like Robert Burton, the mega rich UConn Football booster who wants his money back ($7 Mil) because they wouldn't let him pick the football coach. This public incident is probably repeated in private throughout the land of scholar-athletes. Major college sports teams are all about money, not any longer about "My college team is better than your college team." -- pure and simple. AD's are businessmen with business training. But, Burton is right, UConn made a poor choice for Coach!

The Union bought Chafee-Lite appears to be supporting the NEA gang in RI in its desire to be rid of Education Commish Dorothy Gist. Oddly, Gist's ideas of pushing the students to greater achievement seems to be right in line with "In the NEA Pocket" President Obama. Go figure.

How about that Dennis Kucinich suing the Congressional cafeteria because he found an olive pit in his wrap. His suit says the sandwich contained a dangerous substance. Is that anything like a weapon of mass destruction. In a related story, it has been learned that the kinder gentler 0-Man admin is arming border guards with bags of olive pits.

Almost Near: Chapter 4. --All of sudden Samantha found herself standing at the end of the dock looking down at the stranger in the dory. He was concentrating on what he was writing and appeared oblivious to his voyeur. It was almost five minutes before he looked up slowly, as if to draw and idea out of the sky.
At once he noticed Samantha. His face broke into the kind of unconditional smile reserved for the closest of friends. Lovers.
Samantha was startled at his sudden expansive attention. She stammered, embarrassed. "I. I. I don't know what I'm doing here." The stranger saw the confusion in her face and his smile turned to concern.
"I hope I didn't startle you," He said kindly. A caring tone. Kind eyes putting her at ease. "I was suprised to see you standing up there and I immediately thought you were somebody I knew. But, I can tell by your reaction that I'm not." He said it comfortably like it was somebody Samantha should have known.
"I just came down to eat breakfast, and I saw you here...and .. I ...I don't know why I came over here."
"Breakfast!" he exclaimed, deftly ignoring her discomfort. "I need breakfast too. Would you join me at Lillies?" Samantha seemed to relax.

Olive pits would be one reason why I never order olive sandwiches. The other is that olives aren't any good unless in martinis. And then they are only good in martinis so you can throw them at friends across the bar.

The Non-Sequitur strip this morning announced the next national trauma with a street preacher's sign: "Repent! Unfriending is near." There's always something.

The Tids Sports department has no football predictions today. The big story is the first big tournament in golf where the Tiger returns. His fans and even those who now have a deminished view of the this super player will be wondering if he can come back. There is no truth to the rumor that his manager is placing strippers in his motel room to help him regain the magic.

The Answer:
1. The big East is up front with 7 closely followed by the Big 10 with 6. Then we have Big 12 with 4, SEC - 3, Mountain West - 2, Pac 10 - 1 and the mighty "Dick Vitale Conference" (ACC) with but One! Say it Ain't so Coach K. 2. A "Ziggy Circle" is a frivolous term used to describe fanciful play in the snow. As in...a girl running to be caught after throwing a snowball at man of her dreams.

The End:
It looks like a perfect morning to run in ziggy circles and throw a couple of snowballs.

No comments:

Post a Comment