Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Thursday, March 10, 2011

A Message of Hope from Wisconsin.

Today's Tids Issue # 2,316
Opening Stuff:

I could live perfectly well if the cel phone had never been invented. Maybe better.

The elected official who will do the most for society must do it understanding that he/she may never be elected again.

Bono of U2 stepped upon the stage in Glasgow Scotland. the crowd went silent. he looked out. Then claped his hands once every few seconds. The audience was rapt. The stony silence was riveting. He stepped forward and picked up the microphone. Looked out. "Every time I clapped my hands a child in Africa dies." From the fornt row a voice with a broad Scottish accent pierced the muted atmosphere. "Well F---in' stop doin' it you evil bastard."

I rarely hop on fad bandwagons, especially most fad food phenomena. But the "blackened" meats and fish fad stuck with me. Unfortunately, like most food fads, chefs get tired of them and move on. So finding "blackened" options on a menu is always good news for me. One of my all time favorites is blackened bluefish with bernaise sauce.

The Question: Which companies are the biggest Hog producers?

The Headlines:
--Rational People Rejoice: Wisconsin GOP Begins Putting Toothpaste Back Into Tube By Outmaneuvering The Dems and Pushing Through Union Rights Legislation.
--Poor Unemployment Apps Report Knocks Down Futures; US TRade Deficit Widens; Moody's Cuts Spain's Rating.
--Libya Rebels Winning Diplomatic Battles But Losing The Fight.
--Imams Denounce Muslims Congressional Hearings.
--Congress Continues To fight The Budget Spending Problem As demanded By Voters Iin November.
--Quality Jobs Not Yet A Big Part Of Employment Growth.

The Libs still fear the possible emergence of Sarah Palin as a tough to beat contender for 2012. I'm thinking the timing of the new HBO Movie "Game Change" is geared to mocking her just as she begins to gain momentum.

After last night's American Idol, my Top 5 are Casey, Lauren, Pia, James, Scotty and Haley. Jacob was a sure thing for top five before last night where he went into intense scream mode. I never thought originally I was going to like Scotty, but he has come through. Paul was a favorite but last night was underwhelming. Others who weren't great but I still like are Karen, Stefano and Naimo. Thia was weak and should be voted off unless she gets the youth vote. I don't think much of Asthon and really disagree with the judges who seem a little too forgiving for her inadequacies.

I'm seeing some positive business growth for small essential businesses that are often victims of discretionary budget cuts in times of downturns.

People in competitive organizations who have trouble arguing against a big idea will always resort to criticizing spelling mistakes. Or hairdos. Or innate niceness.

With the proliferation of Cable TV including pay channels and even satellite radio, there really is no reason for NPR or Public TV. In fact, I would think government funding of media outlets could be argued as blatantly unconstitutional.

A guy was trying to convince Ruth Bader Ginsberg to fish with him in his boat while she argued for staying a shore in waders. After about an hour they agreed to put Roe vs. Wade behind them. You probably thought I was going to say something about bader-waders.

It's too early in the year to be hot.

The Muslims can protest and shout and wave towels, but I have always wondered why their leadership never denounced the actions of people who disgraced their religion.

Almost Near: Chapter 11 continues. --Smanatha was stunned. She stood there silently. She couldn't say it's so nice to see you again Jane...Arlene...Mary. She had no idea who tis was.
Finally she smiled. "I guess it is quite a surprise!"
"Surprise! Nobody in this town ever expected to see you ever again. Especially since your parents moved away." She paused as though she had forgotten something. "Oh, I bet you came back to see your old home. Common in!"
My house, home, Samantha thought. Why was there so much fear in her heart as she was drawn to it. And why was she drawn to it.
"You know that Tommy Lambert moved away too, Just after you left him. He was almost despondent. Nobody has heard form or of him, just like you. Do you have time for lunch? Oh, remember the fun we had in your living room?"
She was rambling now, and Samantha remained mute; Just smiling appropriately from time to time. "So, obviously you brought my parents house?" My parents?
Oh yes, John and I always thought your house was the cutest. Well John never ctually said cute, but he liked it too. A lot."
"So, do you have time for lunch. We have so much catching up to do."
"Sure, why not." I can let her talk, she thought.

The Answer: By far the largest is Smithfield foods. Infact they have six times the number of hogs as #2 Seaboard farms. the other of the top five are Iowa Select farms, Prestige Frams and The Pipestone system. Some names more familiar are #8 Cargill, # 11 Tyson and #13 Hormel. I remember the times when if you were going through beautiful Virginia you would bring home a Smithfield ham...the kind you would have to soak first. Nothing better even if you don't like ham. I was hoping Johnsonville of Johnsonville Brats fame would rank up there.

Actually, the large hog farmers are the American voters.

What do you call a laundromat for pigs? Hogwash; If a piglet scrapes his knee, momma sow puts on oinkment.

I think I write about food too often. is that a sign I may be getting old.

No comments:

Post a Comment