Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Musical Chairs.

Today's Tids Issue #2,368
Opening Stuff:

When the sun bakes down from up on high. When waves of steam blank out the sky. I look for restless leaves in trees. Moved by the Ocean's soothing breeze.

I wasn't shocked hearing that Newt's staff quit the old warhorse. He''s smart guy, but has looked mindless in his opening parries. But, here's what I think is really happening. There is a rising undercurrent to get Texas Governor Perry into the 2012 race. It seems that several of Newt's guys have strong ties to Perry. Newt's foolishness in the early going gave the staffers a ready made excuse to move to the popular Texan with the best state education system in the country.

I think Bill O'Reilly's Ego is sucking out his brains.

The Question:  
Double Bonus day! 1. The PGA St. Jude Hospital Memphis Open is being held this week. What big TV star first lent his name to the tournament and the fund raising efforts of the Hospital. Name four other super stars who had golf tournaments named after them. 2. Leonard Stern was a prolific writer who gave us classic shows like The Honeymooners, Get Smart and McMillan & Wife. He also invented a quirky little word game that families often play during car trips. Name it.

The Headlines:
--Wall Street Crushing Hope As Week Winds Down.
--Alabama Puts into Effect A Tougher than Arizona Illegal Immigration Law; Illegals' Lovers Expected To Challenge.
--Robert Gates Blasts NATO; Says Underfunding Combined With Lack Of Resolve Among Member Nations Bodes Dismal Future For Once Proud Defense Group.
--OPEC Move Towards Increased Production Blacked By Iran And Venezuela; Predict Supply Gap Later In Year.
--Arizona Fires Continue To Grow Unabated.
--Syrian Army Moves Into Northern Villages.
--US Concerned Over Instability In Yemen.
--Sprouts Now Back As Culprit In German e.Coli Epidemic.
--Dallas Upends Miami All Stars; King James Fades In the End.

Back to More Stuff:
I think the governor of Hawaii has a great point wondering why the state has to pay the NFL $4 million to hold the useless "Pro Bowl" on their islands. As states and municipalities go on a financial diet, maybe the gravy for Pro teams will be the first to go. Too many pro teams have been extorting town fathers for too long. The teams are making millions but the folks in the towns are only getting high ticket prices in return. And, now bigger tax bills.

For fun, I'll enjoy watching Ford's redo of the Lincoln brand. The most successful US Auto companies has seen it's one time luxury brand leader get smothered by Audi, BMW, Lexus, Volvo, Infinite, Acura, Cadillac and Mercedes. During the next three years the automaker expects to roll out 7 new models, all aimed at the quality conscious 50 year old and up set. They say this will be a no-Bling, no nonsense line of solid cars with superb driving features. It will be tough, but I always enjoy watching a good ball game.

"New York System Wiener"* department.
A poll in The Apple says that the constituents don't want the abortion loving, big spending titillating twitterer to go. But then, New Yorkers have always been a little shallow.

When you read about the giants of colonial America, there was none bigger than the caring, understanding, resourceful Roger Williams.

Bumper Sticker: "If you voted for Obama in '08 to prove your not a racist, vote for someone else in 2012 to prove you're not an idiot." It's going to be a mean spirited two years!

Reading between the Lines Movie reviews:
--Super 8 is a title that left me cold. But, the movie is much more than that, and the title becomes significant as you are drawn into the intrigue. This is an often chilling thriller that will keep you on edge. The film opens with a massive train wreck. A bunch of kids walk away with a little box of white blocks. Strange things start happening around the town, and the blocks seem to have something to do with it. You'll love the way the movie moves along. But, you'll have to suck it up to get by the less than satisfying ending.
--Incendies is a French film based on a long, sometimes tedious US play called the Scorchers. The film works beautifully. It is an Oedipus story of two siblings asked to deliver letters after their mother dies -- one to a dad who they thought was dead and the other to another sibling they never knew existed. As the two gets into the Mom's birthplace town they discover a life of a mother they never knew. This is a good one.

Almost Near: Chapter 24 continues. --"High School! You must be great old friends. Are you married?"
"I was." Sparrow was now watching him closely. It was time to start getting more than one word answers."
"Did Wilcox have anything to do with the breakup?"
"No."
"Was she the violent type in High School?"
"Samantha is a kind, gentle person."
"How did you get the gash on the back of your head?"
"I told you. It was from the accident."
"I don't think so. That gash had nothing to do with your accident. Wasn't Samantha in the car when you drove off the road? Now Dante took in a big breath.
"I'm confused."
"Tell me what you know. I'll give you a hint. Samantha called you after she met with me. She didn't feel her little talk with me was going well. She's not your girl friend. She's not your sister or your mother. Yet you jumped on a plane to fly to this Little Podunk because why...she's a client? What did you think she had done wrong?" The detective let that sit. "You're here in the hospital. She has been missing for 4 days. I think she's in trouble."
"Ok"...he started slowly, thoughtful like a lawyer who didn't want to get trapped further ..."I like her. She is a very nice person. And I worry about her. Maybe I saw discrepancies in her like you, But maybe I'm more involved emotionally. I don't know."
"Go on."
"I knew who she was in high school, but I never knew her at all til two weeks ago. She came to me because I was a lawyer involved in the sale of her parents house. She was trying to find out something about her father. As I said, she grew on me and I enjoyed being with her. When she called form here, she sounded scared. It bothered me that she was scared. I flew out."
"Noble." Dante glared at Sparrow.
"We had drinks and the dinner. It was actually a nice evening. She didn't talk at all about you or the meeting with you. We just had fun. But, I noticed that when I would try to get close to her, even innocently, she recoiled. She's afraid of something. Then, as we were driving back to the Hotel over that ridge, she said something that made me laugh and I reflexively put my hand on her thigh. Out of nowhere I felt this blow to the back of my head. Here I am."
"What do you know about her parents?"

The Answer:
1. Marlo's dad, the insufferable Phil Donahue's father-in-law Danny Thomas got the huge charity going with the Danny Thomas Open. Other big stars with tournaments were Bing Crosby, Bob Hope Andy Williams and Dinah Shore. 2. How many of you have had a good laugh with the kids playing "Mad Lib"? Stern died last night, and he was a great one.

*The New York System Wiener is the name of small chain of RI hot dog/wiener restaurants dating back to the early 1900's. It is a time honored RI taste treat, and we regret that the tastelessness of another New York Wiener has disparaged the name of a great institution built upon integrity and a outstanding chili meat sauce.

May you week end be incredibly spectacular.

No comments:

Post a Comment