Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Sunday, April 8, 2012

This is Easter

Today's Easter Tids Issue #2,573


My grandson is here with me this morn. That's always good for a few laughs, But this morning, this Good Friday, as usual I like to focus on that very important event, the one that too often these days gets lost in the fake green grass of Easter baskets.

Yet, my grandson' presence makes me wonder. "So Granddad, why is it called Good Friday when they killed a very nice man? Huh, Grandad. Huh?"
And then I think back to that day, when following days of torture and ridicule, the son of God as a human was made to carry that enormously heavy cross through the town, up that mountain road. I can only imagine the innocent eyes of children watching this inconceivable event. Hiding behind the skirts of their Mom's, they surely saw the love in the eyes of this man with the cross. Wondered as only kids can. Why can't the grown-ups see what I do. How happy these children must have felt when men and women stepped in to give aid as the man falls again, and again, and again. How confused these kids became when adults jeered at this tortured man, this beaten human who looked so kind even in the face of pain. You have to wonder what the children did that day, when Jesus Christ was nailed to the cross and left to die.

"Father forgive them for they know not what they do."
"Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise."
"Woman, behold your son: Behold Behold your mother."
"My God, my God, why have you forsaken me."
"I thirst."
"It is finished."
"Father, into your hands I commend my spirit."

How many children three days later stood with their moms and dads outside the tomb of Joseph of Aramithea. How many saw the new light in the eyes of their parents. How many of those innocent hearts felt the goodness of that man in the crisp Easter day air around them.

Happy beautiful Easter and Wonderful Passover everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment