Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Coming together nicely.



Today's Tids Issue 2,731
Opening Stuff:
 
Well, it's Wednesday and less than a week before Christmas. I guess it's time to get serious about the season. The forces that occur each year around this time are assuming that cumulative mass that in a twinkling will trip an explosion of people moving simultaneously to each other. And the smiles of love that will light up the world will be like all of the stars in the sky. Can you feel the energy?

One of the best things about growing up in the Fifties era is that there was always a Rogers and Hammerstein tune playing happily somewhere in the background.

While the economy will grow sluggishly in the coming months, "time, that can heal all wounds" may be at the point where investors may be drifting away from safe havens like Gold and corporate Bonds and venturing back into equities. All of that underutilized institutional cash coupled with the availability of many undervalued stocks, may induce a market even with mediocre fundamentals to rise dramatically. Just so long as we can rappel safely down the cliff.

The Question;
Double "Q" Day: 1. Name five happy Rogers and Hammerstein tunes. Bonus: Who is Olivia Culpo?

The Headlines:
--Newtown Residents Crowd Churches For Third Day Of Funerals; Heroic Principal Remembered.
--Repubs Expected To Pass Own Tax Bill As Alternative To Cliff.
--Stocks Up Again.
--Official Inquiry Into Benghazi Issues Scathing Report On Inadequacy Of Leadership And Management At State Department; Report Tarnished Hill's 4 Year Record.
--NRA Pledges To Help Stop Massacres.
--Egypt Protests In Advance Of Final Constitution Vote Continue.

The anti-gun group has a new definition for automatic weapons -- "Weapons of War". Going for the emotional kill -- so to speak. Actually I have pretty much the same opinion on guns and gun control as I had going back at least 40 or more years or so when I worked for the Ad Agency for Colt Fire Arms company. Several of my friends were Executives handling the account so at lunch the subject of gun control came up. This is not new. The fervor of gun owners and the frenzy of anti-gun people is the same. Back then I argued with my friends about the need for proper registration and against the need for automatic weapons, like the M-16 and AK 47 Colt was producing for the Viet Nam war. Their position was always "If we let them have an inch, they will want a mile next." I could agree with that position, but I still had trouble thinking why it was a bad idea to know that criminals weren't getting guns and why hunters needed automatic  weapons. So that's what I felt bakc then, and pretty much feel now.

It appears that ObamaCare with it's 2600 pages and 13,000 additional pages of rules and regulations is bigger than the Bible, with rules more suffocating that the ten commandments may be for a growing amoral society.

An observant reader wrote implying that I may have a food fixation and should seek help. Why, just because I have a whoopie pie collection?

Time Mag, as many of you probably know by now, has made 0-Man their "Person of the Year" along with these words: "We are in the midst of historic cultural and demographic change, and Barak Obama is the symbol and in some ways, the Architect of this new America." The first thing that jumps out is "New America" which is averse to all self determined people who are watching a decline in culture, morals and responsibility and dependency upon run-away Big Government largess. Then I have to wonder how anybody including the Indonesia Kid could be an architect of "demographic change"! And, how about the use by Time's editors of the phrase "in some ways", a clear case of hedging their bets. Well, the Prez can put this next to his Nobel Prize. Who knows, maybe the Academy will give him an Oscar for best Big Time Actor.

I see where Joe Biden is heading up the Admins gun policy search committee. If I remember correctly, the last big admin job headed by the National Plagiarist Laureate resulted in...in...come to think of it, I can remember nothing associated with Biden that resulted in anything.

The Conscience: Chapter 12 continues.
   The aromas from the kitchen of this very small, but obvious  special little restaurant looking down upon the complicated Genoa harbor almost made me forget my martini. Mua was a restaurant that belied the industrial grime and waterfront chaos for which this area of northern Italy has always been known. In fact, I was impressed with the charming alleys leading to the Piazza del Erbe, walking fast to keep up with my beautiful host who was all business all the time. People just didn't get in her way. She had that look --Move aside or die.
   But at Mua it was all grace and as she beguiled the staff with her smile and they obviously respected her as a great customer and maybe more. Being with her, probably made me important too.
   We sat at one of the better tables in this very contemporary, very Italian feeling room. Like the inside of  Lamborghini. She immediately ordered Testeroli, a chewy pasta she told me, for us to split. She turned to me after she ordered, "This will warm your stomach while I tear out your heart." Once again, I gave her my inert look, but did manage a sarcastic smile. I could tell if it was humor of wrath in her face.
   "Would you be surprised if I told you that Bernard yachts had just been wracked by a major explosion?" Her face did not react. "And that there is a lot of early evidence it was sabotage?"
   "Why would I know that?" It was the obvious answer from someone as practiced as Angelica Baglietto
   "Why?" I just said that, and reached for a piece of bread which I broke and took a bite, just as my Martini and her glass of wine arrived. "Hmmm, this is quite good."
    "Of course, you are in Italy."
    "Why?" I said again. "Why? Because you are very smart and know everything that is happening with this negotiation." Ilooked at her and added, "Including my life history".
    "Oh, I know a lot, but I am just a mere pawn for my father and Mother. You will have to meet them." I just realized that I hadn't reached for my booze.
    "Pawn? You would never be a pawn." I now took the glass and sipped. I felt the fluid moving slowly through every vein. There was no better sensation than that first drink.

Today is the 14th anniversary marking only the second impeachment of a President of the US. Judgeing by the popularity of Mr. Willie, I guess that sour note did not leave a lasting impression. I guess we now live in the world of Nothing Matters.

The Answer:
1. How many have gleefully hummed to "June is busting out all over", Whistle a happy tune", "O what a beautiful Morning", "People will say we're in love" or "Getting to know you." Bonus: Olivia Culpo is Miss Rhode Island and Miss USA, and will represent the US in Tonight's Miss Universe event. Go RI, go!

My Spell-Check has no imagination.

See you all tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment