Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Frozen fingers.




Today's Tids Issue 2,736
Opening Stuff:
 
Well, the end of lazy-week and too many veggie casseroles is near. My body is craving a return to unhealthy food and common everyday incidents.

So, if the country falls into the abyss, and the knowledgeable citizens riot in the streets, will the admin blame it on an anti Notre Dame film? Actually, Americans are too ambivalent to riot in the streets, and I don't think the Government is brave enough to incur rancor.

Frankly, I really enjoy 27 degree mornings scraping ice and snow off the car. It sort of like an ethereal connection with nature. And always quiet.

The Question:
What do you think are the top ten movies of the year?

The Headlines:
--Deal Reached That May Prevent Paralyzing Longshoreman Strike
--Obama And Team Sweating Out Cliff In White House War Room; Repubs Sweating It Out In Planes, Trains and Automobiles Returning To Washington.
--George HW Improving; Alert.
--Another Man Shoved To Death In NYC Subway.
--Stocks Falter As Cliff Solutions Become Vague; DOW Down 158.
--Syria Opposition Rejects Moscow Invite.

Too many people forget it seems, that the hard fought for Freedoms that have made The USA so special for so many years, also come with daunting responsibilities. Freedoms don't exist in a vacuum, but within an interconnected web of dissimilar humans.

I heard someone say today that REIT's were his best portfolio holding over the past year. Actually. I have enjoyed REITs myself in the past, but have heard sketchy enthusiasm for them in recent years. However, with signs arising out of the mist in a resurgent strong housing and real estate industry, the high paying REIT's may be what is needed now in days of uncertainty about the Cliff et all.

I was in a deli in Camden Maine last night, getting a sandwich and some edible goodies for dinner. Most restaurants were closed because of the snowstorm. I like walking in freezing slush in 26 degrees with 30 knot winds. It builds up you appetite. So, anyhow I quickly named the two people in the customer-less store -- Dumb and Slow. I asked "Dumb", the order taker, several questions like do you cook your own meats, what kind of quiche are those (Pointing my finger) or is your tuna white. Each time Dumb said she didn't know and called over Slow, the apparent man in charge and food preparer, who also had a particularly difficult time with the tuna, saying. I think it begins with an "A". I said, "Albacore". he nodded triumphantly. Actually, Dumb did answer one question, "Do you have chicken salad?" She said firmly, "No!" I looked up at the menu board and saw Chicken Salad with Tomato on baguette. I said. "It says you have chicken salad." She turned back to Slow asking do we have chicken salad, "Of course," came the answer. I asked Dumb if she knew my Spell Check. She looked at me quizzically, and went to wash windows. Meanwhile Slow was performing an Ed Norton, lots of flurry but no action. After several rituals and putting away containers he snatched my order sheet off his clipboard and came over. "What's this mean?' he said pointing. "Roast beef with Swiss and mayo on Foccacia," I said. We don't have Foccacia," he said. I looked up at the board, "Baguette?" "We don't have baguette's. I think you want rye." "Good," I said. "What does 1/4 pound chicken mean?" he now asked. "It means," I said, "that I want to take home a 1/4 pound of your chicken salad." "Like in the raw, no bread?" he said. He now spent several minutes looking for a scale, and I could tell he had no idea about how to weigh chicken salad. He finally rigged up a chicken salad weighing system. It was an ordeal. My wife thought I had been sucked into a snow drift. PS: The Food was delicious. Who knew.

I see that a NYC woman was charged with fraud for setting up a FaceBook page to dupe caring Newtown Connecticut people into sending her money for a fake funeral fund. Another candidate for the death penalty.

Most people in the Northeast were pretty excited about the snow...except for the news reporters who prefer disaster aspects of any natural event. Snow storms are rarely as bad as portrayed by the media.

It seems that many of the Middle East countries don't want what the western democracies have planned for them. Which proves once again, that some people have different opinions of the world.

Reading Between the Lines Movie reviews:
--Django Unchained (Or Ode to Joe Biden) is the movie that possessed Chris Foxx to exclaim that he gets to kill all of the white people. Foxx plays a slave brutalized by former owners, drawn into an odd alliance with a cruel German bounty hunter. Many say it is much to long and actually feel s long. But it is a combo of humor and revenge and horror, so Tarrantino gets the emotions going. And again plays with history.
--Every time I see the scene in the promo where the kid whips a Louisville slugger into Billy Crystal's nuts, I vow not watch that movie. But, I like Crystal (Not a big fan Of Midler). These two grandparents babysit for their Grandchildren and it becomes a wild and comical battle of the generations. If you are into Light and Funny, see it. I just can't get past the pain.

The Answer:
Ok, match yours against this list: Lincoln, Les Miz, Zero Dark Thirty, Argo, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, Hitchcock, The Life of Pi, Skyfall, Silver Linings Playbook and Ted. Rotten Tomato, one of my favorite sites has a more extensive list which may interest you -- http://www.rottentomatoes.com/top/bestofrt/?year=2012

Ok, sometime over the weekend I want you to say three times fast: "The Waldoboro Barn near Nobleboro". Could be a great ice breaker at New Years Cocktail Parties.

Actually, this issue reads more like numbed mind than frozen fingers.



No comments:

Post a Comment