Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Friday, October 3, 2014

Memories are better than sacks of gold.

Today's Tids Issue 3,187
Opening Stuff:
 
As I look across the endless sea,
I see a little girl from my memory.
Standing on those sands she adores,
Among the waves on Cape Cod Shores,
With a smile as bright as the shining sun.
Which remains with me, and everyone.
 
Happy first full day of Autumn, Everybody! Actually, this year it’s felt like autumn since July…maybe before. The winds howled last night, and set up a day that reminds us that Winter’s not far away. I love it! Gimmie my fleece.
 
I’m starting anew column called “This Makes me Crazy” in honor of my deceased Sister who always had an opinion or two, and used that phrase to characterize them. What would be more appropriate than this new Wesleyan University edict forcing Fraternities to go co-ed. “Frat” – coed? Have they forgotten their Latin? What I observe from afar are Fraternity houses where women sleep over on a regular basis,a dn maybe even leave a toothbrush or a garment or two. Is this just a move to make the fairer sex honest. Or a way to teach Frat boys about marriage. Nah, its just inane PC meddling by people who think they know it all. It does make me crazy.
 
The Question:
Gas inder $3.00 has been found in 28 states. Name the top ten states for low priced gas.
 
The Headlines:
--US, Allies Begin Major Air Strike Assault Against ISIS In Syria.
--Israel Shoots Down Syria Warplane Over Golan Heights.
--Analysts Charts Showing S&P Approaching Saturation.
--WHO (World Health organization) Predicts 20,000 Infected by Ebola By November.
--Some Say “UN Puts Spotlight On Climate Change” Is A News Item.
--New Jersey Hiker, A Rutgers Student Presumed Killed In Bear Attack.
--Insurers Say A Number Of Enrollees Are dropping ObamaCare.
 
In the back of my mind, The 0-Man is managing the ISIS thing in a way that will give him an opportunity for a November surprise. And, I’m not talking finding a pearl in a turkey. I’m talking about a Turkey pulling out an election week pearl. I hate the fact that I have to look at a President as possessing such deviousness, but history proves that I could be right.
 
I don’t know about you, but something bothers me about the headline yesterday in our local daily newspaper: “120 plunge into Harbor for ‘Sharkfest’ Swim’.” I’m thinking bloody waters. Ugh.
 
It’s only Tuesday, but with busyness ahead I think it best that I get out the NFL picks today. A pretty good 11-4 record last week brings us to 27-20 for a modest 57.4% pick-em’ rate. It’s not going to be easy this week starting with Thursday night’s choice: Which of the two hapless teams will pull it out Wash or NYG? I’m going with Wash only because it is a home game and I kind of like their team nickname – red something or other. The Buff-Houston game brings us two teams with early surprises that dropped the a ball in the third game. I think Houston dropped it more so I’m going Buffalo. Other posers are Carolina-Balt, Detroit-NYJ, Miami-Oak (In London), NO-Dallas and New England-KC. New England’s offense looks inept, and KC is a mystery team. I’m saying NE’s improving “D” will keep KC  at bay and the offense will stumble in for a couple of scores. For the rest of the above I pick Carolina, Det, Oak and New Orleans. The rest are Chicago, over a disappointing GB. Powerful indy, improving Pittsburgh, mighty San Diego, and  all gears finally meshing Atlanta. One last game pits Philly against SF. Philly has not been that impressive winning while going 3-0. But SF has been more of a disappointment than the Iggles have been unimpressive. I’ll go with Philly’s resourcefulness.
 
Gold used to be lofty residing in crowns upon King’s heads. Today it is more of an indicator of bad times. Gold mongers talk of safe havens, but what I see is a pretty unstable investment subject to whimsy. Does a new gold necklace mean that the stock market is down?
 
Speaking of gold, the price of muffins and pastries is going out of sight. Maybe a new investment safe haven should be baked goods, or at least sugar!
 
And, the price of potato chips is making me think twice about the salty delicacy. Snack makers are pricing me into the numbing state of nutritionosis.
 
It looks to me as if the New England Patriots are using Pawtucket Red Sox players for their offensive line!  Where have gone Dante Scarnecchia?
 
The Answer:
Mississippi is tops with 30% of their stations selling under three buck gas. Next is Oklahoma (27%) followed by South Carolina, Virginia, Louisiana, Missouri, Arkansas, Tennessee, New Mexico and Alabama (6.9%). If you’re driving to Fla for the Winter load up in Virginia and SC!
 
I think I’ll go outside now and watch my leg hairs stand on end as the wintry air turns my skin into an ocean of goosebumps. That’s kind of a sickening sight to imagine, isn’t it. Or maybe I’ll just put on long pants and enjoy the crispy morning without all of the visual drama.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment