Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

The years don’t change much any more.

Today's Tids Issue 3,252
Opening Stuff:
 
Well, Happy New Year E-v-e-r-y-b-o-d-y! Thanks for listening. Hope you get a nugget or two each morning; a smile, or a subtle nudge to your heart. Or maybe just learn something you never knew. Thanks for your cards and letters, your pro and con opinions, your praise and for just being out here willing to subject yourself occasionally to this morning mess. It’s fun being part of your day. So have an amazing year in 2015, and don’t let all of those uncontrollable irritants that creep from under rocks these days interrupt the laughter and love.
 
Politicians lose what little credibility they possess for me when Congressional culprits like Scalise say  things like, “I didn’t know who I was talking to”. It reminds me of “I went to Jerimiah Wright’s church, but I didn’t listen.”
 
Many in the news media reporting the biggest story of the year have used the headline, “Police Killing Blacks biggest story of the year.” That sounds a little inflammatory to me. An accurate headline would be, “Blacks killed by police resisting arrest biggest story of the year”. Nowhere does the media seem to balance the story with the latest headline, “Cops killed in the line of duty up 56% this year.” If the media doesn’t attempt judiciousness, there will be more police spouses and children mourning the death of a loved one.
 
The Question:
Actress Luise Rainer died at the age of 104. She was the first to win back-to-back Oscars -- 1936 (The Great Ziegfeld) and 1937 (The Good Earth). Only four other actors have won back-to-back’s. Name them Can you name the movies?
 
The Headlines:
--Rising Dollar Squeezing Economies Of Debtor nations; Third World Countries Struggling To Repay; Could This Weaken Global Economy For 2015?
--CDC Doc Says Flu Season Could Be Severe.
--Stocks Rising On Year’s Last day; REITS Have Biggest Year In A decade.
--Iran Says New US Sanctions Violate Spirit Of Nuke Talks.
--Obama Releases 5 Gitmo Prisoners; Sends Them To Kazakhstan.
--DiBlasio –NYPD Relationship Icier.
--New Theory Says Sony Hacking Was Inside Job.
--VA Facing New Congressional Cracdown.
 
There are officially 16, count em’, sixteen contenders for the GOP 2016 Presidential nominee. By the time they finish taking shots at each other during the primaries, there will be nothing left of the winner. The list has John Bolton (I like him, but unelectable), Jeb Bush (Good candidate but will the Anti-Bush crowd crucify him), Ben Carson (His devotion to the truth may scare people), Chris Christie (Fun and forceful, but…conservatives still don’t like that handshake), Ted Cruz (Too far out for national crowd), Mike Huckabee (Nice guy, but he’s been in there too many times.) Bobby Jindal (Ditto Huckabee), John  Kasich (Doing great job in Ohio and could emerge; ditto Jindal), George Pataki (Fame too far in the past), Rand Paul (I  like him and many do, but seems scary to the masses), Rick Perry (Excellent candidate and will do better after learning year in 2012), Mitt Romney (Shoulda bin the Prez; I think he is over and out), Marco Rubio (Strong possibility), Paul Ryan (Like him, but he didn’t look strong enough in 2012), Rick Santorum (I like him and he came on strong in ‘12, but too right for general election; Ditto Jindal) and Scott Walker (My personal favorite, but national name recognition is low; Unions will have him in their sights). So basically there are some good people here, but what many resolute Repubs like best isn’t necessarily going to cross the lines of voter demographics. That’s why a more moderates like Bush keep on rising.
 
Towns and cities have been going to something called “Pay-as-you-go” trash pick up. And I, silly me, always ought that garbage collection was part of what taxes paid for. What’s next, pay-as-you-go pot hole patch kits. What do these people do with all of the tax money?
 
How great is it to have an evening of poking fun at the pretentious Kennedy Award Honorees. Except for one thing, last night the pretentious didn’t arrive.  Oh, wait a minute, I forgot about the overwrought introduction of the wonderful Patricia McBride by Christine Baransky. --The most entertaining segment of the night to me was the Older couple blues singers bringing down the house for Al Green with Riverside. –This was the fist time I ever liked Martin Short or thought that he was actually funny’ –Tom Hanks looks like he is constantly constipated. –Down in front! What’s with those four people who stood and danced at every rhythm number blocking the rest behind them. – I was just pleasantly nodding off with the Springsteen segment, when I was rudely awakened with the nails on blackboard screech of Bruno Mars. –The First family got Rhythm. It led me to envision a SNL skit with Al Gore and Barack Obama sitting next to each other at an Al Green concert. –How do they walk on their toes like that? –Letterman was good, as was Garrison Kieler. –I didn’t laugh much at the Lillie Tomlin segment.
 
The Top Global Equity Markets For the ear were Shanghai and Argentinian Mervel Index,
 
Of all of the Government agencies nourished by the White House progressive agenda, the scariest of them all might just be HUD.
 
I went into the kitchen last night to cook some green beans for my dinner. I reached into the fridge and took out the bean container…and froze. I found myself I a state of pure panic. I put them back. I’ll try again tomorrow. Life is tough when you have hang-ups. Instead, I took out some mini-white potatoes previously cooked. I mashed them in a skillet of butter, and browned both sides. Then I drenched them in beef juice, which I reduced into a nice sauce. Now, that’s a vegetable!
 
The Answer:
The four are Spencer Tracy, Katherine Hepburn, Jason Robards (Supporting Actor) and Tom Hanks. The movies are: Tracy – Captain’s Courageous, Boys Town; Hepburn – Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner, The Lion in Winter; Hanks – Philadelphia, Forest Gump; Robards – All the Presidents Men, Julia. Two directors have won back-to-back awards – John Ford (The Grapes of Wrath, How Green was my Valley) and Joseph Mankiewicz (A Letter to Three Wives, All About Eve).
 
Definition of a hangover: Wrath of Grapes.
 
Safe driving everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment