Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Monday, May 25, 2015

Musings about those who enter harm’s way, so all will be safe.



Tids for a Memorial Day 2015
Issue 3,343

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the lord.
He has loosed the fateful lightening of his terrible swift sword.
I have seen him in the watchfires of a hundred circling camps;
They have builded him an altar in the evening dews and damps;
I can read his righteous sentence by the dim and flaring lamps.
I have read a fiery Gospel, writ in burnished steel.
In the beauty of the lilies, Christ was born across the sea,
With a Glory in his bosom that transfigures you and me;
He died to make men Holy, let us die to make men free.
America is marching on.

So sad are the wars, that seem must always be.
So horrid are the scars that liberate you and me.
I feel the crying of my heart when I ever see
The passing of that folded flag, neith a shading tree.
Yet, the sun glows brightly on heroes now with thee
The men, the women who keep this land free.

Oh how do you write about war, ugly bloody battles that are so final for so many, yet so liberating for many more. Why must we always be shedding tears? Why are despots allowed to roam? Why can’t all feel the depth of love from the one God, no matter which prophets they seek to guide them? I shudder as I write words today. Because all people were born, I feel, with hearts that are good. When do they become blackened with hate, or greyed with envy? What other wars can we fight to keep love growing within all peoples?  I shed tears for those eternally wounded who deter the misbegotten. I shed tears for the parents who have beautiful memories but will never feel the comforting arms. I shed tears for wives and husbands and loved ones left to think what could have, should have been. I shed tears for little children who will always wonder, about mom, about or dad – who must grow into life upon images alone.

And the music rises to a crescendo, “And God is marching on.


No comments:

Post a Comment