Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

The world needs more duets.



Today's Tids Issue 3,487
Opening Stuff:

I’m starting a write-in campaign for Bob Dole.

I have to say that bringing stuff to organizations that help the needy and the poor, and feeling the smiles on the faces of the volunteers who are always there for the disadvantaged, is about as good as it gets.

In 1950 Harry S. Truman declared a National State of Emergency “to fight world conquest by communist imperialism”. See, big scary things is not new.

The cool mornings are back. I hate unseasonable warm-ups that confuse the flowers, and make me look bad in my fleece.

The Question:
Many of the most memorable musical moments have been duets. And naturally opinions range all over the place. For instance, Sonny and Cher – I got you Babe – is 15 on one list and 37 on another. Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire are high one list and absent on a second. Endless Love with Ritchie and Ross is #1 on one list and 47 on another. Of course the best list is what you like. So, the question is, what do you think are the top ten best pop duets. Bonus: Who wrote the Hungarian Dances? – Liszt, Chopin, Mendelssohn or Brahms. Bonus 2: In 1907 Teddy Roosevelt sent a US naval armada around the world to sow off America’s sea power might. What was the name of the fleet?

The Headlines:
--Fed Expected To Say, Raise The Rates.
--Market Opens Up; hits 150 In 9 Minutes.
--Post Debate Focus Group Shows Trump And Cruz As Winners; Rubio, Bush and Carson as Losers; By Implication, Winning Twosome Seen As Boost For Hillary.
--Hillary Emails Affirmed To Be Top Secret.
--Bernie Sanders Quietly Making Inroads In Battle Against Hill; He Leads in NH And Is Creeping Up In Iowa; He Pulls Largest crowds Of Any candidate; he gets few breaks From Hill And Trump Loving meida..
--Trump Commits To Republican Party; Franklyn Graham Says US Should Stop All Immigration.
North Korea Sentences Canadian Pastor To Life In Prison.

I thought that Wolfe Blitzer did a pretty good job moderating last night’s debate. The debate ran smoothly while I was watching, but became repetitive so I roamed around visiting the Celtics game and The Voice Finals. I thought the Celtics looked intimidated, Jeb looked panicky, Trump had little to say, Christie positioned himself well, Rand, Marco and Ted looked similar, Carley tried too hard to be the smartest person in the room, Carson was good on what he knew and fumbled on what he didn’t know, Political Correctness took a well deserved beating and Emily Ann Roberts was great in her gig with Ricky Skaggs and his terrific band.

I also had the feeling that if any of several of these guys beat the Hill we will go to war.

It appeared to me that Cruz got the better of Rubio in the Establishment wars. I thought Marco was unflinching in his ability to counter Cruz claims, but Cruz had more substance than Rubio. That was the key matchup for the night, especially for all of those who still wonder about the Trump extravaganza.

I wonder of the President will stop using the word terrific as being too close to terror. He understands the educational accomplishments of his constituency.

Things that make me want to slit my throat: Contrived sports arguments on jock talk shows about Pete Rose getting into the Hall of Fame.

I have pretty much blocked anymore of the Star Wars 24/7 promotion from my mind. It’s a matter of mental stability and survival. But as an Intrepid reporter of all things that may or may not be important to the masses, the general consensus is that this new version of the old iconic sci-fy adventure delivers. So, if you liked Luke and Leah you’ll love Daisy Ridley as Rey…and more.

One of the reasons I write the Tids is because I figure that if I continued to carry around all of that crap in my head and it got heavier and heavier, eventually I would be unable to lift it up. But, then, it could help my golf swing. So maybe if I stop writing the Tids my golf game will improve.

I wonder if my Yahoo! email will work as well while Marissa Mayer is getting to know her new twins.

Did you read about the 7th grade Calligraphy teacher at Spring Hill Middle School in Tennessee in the heart of the Bible Belt who has her students writing, “There is no God but Allah.” There parents are more than a little upset. Talk about recruiting tools for ISIS! In won’t be long before Wasps will be as extinct as some honey bees are now.

BTW, the Tids new musical comedy about the last meat eating human on earth is alive and well. Yesterday Chipotle announced it was changing its long held promise of using the fresh locally farm grown vegetables. All tomatoes and celat ntor and lettuce and other earth grown foodsw ill be prepared ina central c=kitchen to suppress microbe infection. I’m already sending a casting call out for dancing microbes and singing biochemists for the big musical number in the lab. “We are scientists great, and we will fight those leafy greens. To make sure our Mexican cuisines, is the safest you ever ate!”

I would have loved to come away from last night’s debate inspired. But, if the declared winner is a guy making funny faces while the others spoke, then I think we are in trouble. Can you say fourth grade.

The much-ado-about–nothing story of the week was yesterday’s marathon on the LA school shutdown.

The Answer:
I’m using the Billboard all-time list of Forty which says #1 is Endless Love with Diana Ross and Lionel Ritchie. The rest of the Top 10 are Say, Say, Say – McCartney and MJ; This Boy Is Mine – Brandy and Monica; Ebony and Ivory – McCartney and Wonder; Dilemma – Nelly and Kelly Rowland; I’m Real – Jlo and Ja Rule; My Boo – Usher and Alicia Keys; Bad Boy Beyonce and Sean Paul; Islands in the Stream – Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton; Don’t go breaking my heart – Elton John and Kiki Dee. ( here’s the rest of that list http://www.billboard.com/articles/list/473075/the-40-biggest-duets-of-all-time ) Here’s a big list of 100, to further confuse you:  http://www.udiscovermusic.com/greatest-duets Bonus: It was Brahms. I only asked that Q because I always think it is Liszt. Bonus 2: It was the Great White Fleet, which would be basically racist today.

I love Stevie Nicks. Christmas season is all about love. Enjoy:

No comments:

Post a Comment