Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Convolution.

Today's Tids Issue 2,682
Opening Stuff

In a humor showdown between Stephen Colbert, a serious Catholic, and Cardinal Dolan of NYC, Colbert gets a big laugh with, "BestPickup Line: I'm seriously considering the priesthood. You could change my mind."

About six months or so ago, a Congressman in RI, David Cicilini had a 23% approval rating. Yesterday it was announced that this slick candidate was ahead in the polls against his Republican foe, a honest man and former head of the State Police, Brian Doherty. As phone caller analyzed his political strategy problem this morning: "Brian Doherty doesn't know how to be a scumbag." The intrinsic problem here is not unlike what is going on with Capitalism -- people have forgotten what makes Democracy work. Capitalism worked when companies who take unnecessary risks were allowed to fail. And democracy works because Government inmates are accountable to the voter and can be voted out. So how does a man with a mere 23% favorability rating go to winning over a solid honest man? Voter stupidity. It's a national disease.

The good News Around here is that RI farmers are very, very good at growing super large pumpkins. In fact, one farmer just broke the world record by a lot with his 2,000 pound veggie. Combine that with all of the Turkeys in our State Legislature and you have a great new slogan: "RI -- The Thanksgiving State". Actually there's a lot to be said about how big Thanksgiving is here. Almost all kids leave the state to find real jobs, so that the mass return in November become a giant celebration for all. Governor Chafee-Lite would like the new slogan. It's peaceful.

The Question:
I see where movie critic Rex Reed is 74. Who are considered the great critics of yesteryear and today.

The Headlines:
--US Boarder Guards Shot At MNigeria's Polytechnic College
--30 Injured In Cal Amtrak Derailment.
--Assad Tours Aleppo; Orders 30,0000 More Troops.
--Lone Gunman Kills 26 At Nigerian Federal Polytechnic College
--Retailers See Holiday Sales Slowing.
--Obama Mortgage Fund Task Force Finally Brings First Fraud Suit; JPMorgan Target; Some Suspect Timing As Political.
--September Auto Sales: Chrysler , GM Up; Ford Flat.
--Market's Down At Noon.
--Ukraine Outlaws "Promotion Of Homosexuality; Prison Threat Applies To Local And Foreign Rights Groups.

Once you get into a project, what was considered inconceivably complex at the outset generally turns out to be quite simple. Of course, if you never try anything, you'll never know that.

I guess it isn't asking too much to expect the seats in an airplane to stay in place. Frankly, it sounds kinda weird to me. Don't the seats come with the plane.

Now the AMA in its Journal says that Omega 3 doesn't prevent heart attacks. There goes the fatty fish industry. Actually, a majority of people really don't like fatty fish, preferring the bland white varieties only made tasty with fattening, delicious sauces. Me, I like tasty fatty fishes like blue and mackerel only made tastier with rich satisfying sauces. Until today, I used to figure I counterbalanced it.
My Red Sox are now at 1966 won-loss levels. I remember those days well. I remember how empty the now raucous Fenway was, where you could always buy a cheap seat and move to a box. But then while dismal, the players were changing from the lackluster teams of the early 60's (except got Frank Malzone and Rico Petrocelli, Mombo and Radatz) to a team with promise. A team with Yaz and Conigliaro. George Scott and Jim Lonborg. "A team," as Jim Lonborg said yesterday, "who never heard of the word quit. Even after a miserable start," he added, "we came together and were one of the teams to beat in September, We had momentum going into 1967." Alas, my fellow Red Sox diehards, where is the hope? Aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

As I read all of these so called news items appearing in newspapers and on the web, it's easy to see how sophisticated the creation of false or exaggerated news has become. Let's hope journalism schools are teaching tomorrows opinion makers how to determine accuracy in corporate, political or ideological groups news releases. Or are media comapny staffs just so tight that editors accept stuff at face values to meet space requirements and closing times and dates. That's what it looks like to me.

Even I, the Tids maven, has been known to throw in some stuff at the last minute to flesh out a modest issue of your favorite daily mess.

Congressman Cicilini has convinced his malleable "people" that his opponent is just innately unfit for office just for being a Republican . And these people forget that RI has achieved the 2nd highest in nation unemployment, the lowest on the business favorability charts and with no economic hope except expanded gambling in sight, all while being smothered for 5 decades by an almost totally Democrat state leadership.

The Conscience: Chapter 10.  --
  I seemed to make it through the night alright. I remember my head hitting the pillow and how good it felt. Now I'm opening my eyes to the sunlight and don't need a welders helmet. I slugged my palm against my head and it didn't ring. But, I could still use a drink. Maybe a small one for equilibrium. It's always good to achieve equilibrium before an important meeting.
  The feeling of that first drink coursing through my beleaguered veins had me thinking like Einstein. I had about three hours til ten, so I took a fast shower, dressed neatly and went down for a good breakfast. Within seconds after I sat, a beautiful, dark-eyed waitress was looking me over, or so I imagined, as she walked towards me with a pot of espresso in her hand. "Buongiorno", she said through an amazing smile.
   "Buongiorno". Speaking in Italian is easy if you just repeat what they say. I put my finger on the edge of my cup and she poured. I smiled at her. She smiled back. This was love, I thought.
   "Americano?" I looked at my suit and saw why her guess was so accurate. That also was a sign that she'd soon be talking English to me. She'd hate it, but that's how good they were over here.
   "Si."
   "Would you like a few minutes to decide Signore?" I liked the signore touch.
   ":Batti o dammi il cinque."
   "Sir, you can talk English. I am not too bad." Then she laughed beautifully. "It will be much faster."
   "I will have Eggs Benedict with Italian sausage and a good piece of Caliazone with lots of butter."
   "Hah," she answered, "A real American, but maybe a little Italian too."
   I like that. She smiled and left. I leaned down and pulled out bunch of my papers and started reading. Again. I have read this over and over to make sure I got everything that I may have missed while brain dead.

The Answer:
A list of the 5 most famous Best Movie critics who made an impact gives us Gene Siskel, Roger Ebert, Richard Roeper, Gene Shalet and Leonard Maltin. A second list of just simply most famous gives us in order Elvis Motchell, A.O.Scott, Peter Travers, Stanley Kaufman, James Barardinelli, Manobla Dargis, Tex Reed, Gene Siskel, Roger Ebert and Pauline Kael. Personally, I don't get the difference between these two lists from the same web site. What happened to critic and Red Sox fan Bill Lion? I guess he went down with the team.

In Rhode Island, you have to wonder if the majority of the people even know exactly what a Republican is.

I figured that if I used a lot of Italian in the story, I could get away with a lot of typos!

I should have saved the Pumpkin-Turkey story for November, but I would have never remembered.

No comments:

Post a Comment