Today's Tids Issue 2,781
Opening Stuff:
 
Ah March. I love March. There is just something very special about March, beginning on Day One. Of course this year it's good news that while we entered sequestration, the sky failed to fall. But the skies of March always seem higher. The earth seems livelier. Because, we know, that plodding through muddy fields is a good sign. A sign that winter is melting away, and fertile earth is ready to sprout anew. It's the Month of anticipation and Irish green. This year it ends with Easter Bunny hopping along for all young kids to cheer, and the resurrection of Jesus for all hearts to endear. It is a year that will end with the Alleluia Chorus. How great is that!

The left side of our political spectrum is nervously sitting by, hoping that what they know as the truth won't happen -- That sequestration and spending cuts will have little or no effect on the lives of Americans.

The Question:
Roger Daltrey and the Who have risen again. There is something in common between Townsend, Entwhistle and Daltrey and a famous American First Lady. What is it? Why was Daltrey Thrown out of the band in the 1965. What was the name of the Who's second rock opera? Name the three best songs form that album.

The Headlines:
--Calamari Named Rhode Island's Official Appetizer.
--Positive Manufacturing Report Adds Juice To Flagging DOW; DOW Opened Down 110; Has Rebounded To Up 20.
--SoCal Firefighters Battling Massive Forest Fire Blaze.
--College Of Cardinals Prepare For A Vote.
--Bulgaria Continues To Trail Italy On Government Crisis Laugh-O-Meter; EU's Poorest Economy Continues To Drift In Leaderless State.
--Jane Fonda Pans Oscars As Too Liberal.
--Florida Sinkhole Swallows Man; Land Caves Under Tampa Man's Bedroom.

A new poll says the a mere 16.5% of Rhode Islanders have confidence that the leaders can correct a sinking ship. The Government says, "Let them eat Squid." I'm going out to watch the ocean.
Recipe Department:
We haven't had a good recipe for a while. I like this Bronzed Chicken over Spinach Rice idea. First the rice: In a non-stick skillet, heat 1 tsp OO, stir in 1 cp long grain white rice and saute 1 min. To that add 1 cp low salt tomato juice and 1 cp water. Simmer covered for 15 mins. Stir in 2 cps spin, salt and pep. Spin will wilt in hot rice. (If it looks dry, add a little water). Chicken: Pound breasts to 1/2-3/4 in. Mix together 1/2 tsp cayenne pep, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp thyme. Spoon on one side of chix pressing in. Place 2 tsp OO in non-stick skillet over High heat. When very hot, place chix, season side down, in hot oil. Put remaining seasoning on top of chix. Cook 2-3 mins til bronze. Cook 2nd side 3-4 mins til done (Temp 170). Has to be a taste treat.

There was a time when a creative person would spend years writing a novel before hitting the Morning TV Talk show circuit. Now it's just takes a matter of seconds on YouTube.

Personally, I think it's a good thing that cities and towns could be forced to figure it out for themselves instead of waiting for Government handouts.

Did you read that item about a woman who opened her mail only to find an Invoice for $5.00 for "Non-Customer Use of Restroom." Apparently this women is like a lot of people who don't respect the wishes of others. You know,  the "That-rules-not-for-me" crowd! In this case a Restaurant owner who has a clearly marked sign, "Restrooms for Customers Only", finally said, "Enough". Good for him I say.

John Kerry, it said in a news item today, is expected to take Turkey PM to task for anti Zion remarks. You have to wonder if these officials from other countries are  getting weary of Americans telling them how to lead their lives. Like Americans who are tired of Mayor Bloomberg telling them how to drink soda. This, I'm-better-than-you-are mantra, is a disturbing new American trait.

Reading Between the Lines Movie Reviews:
--The Phantom is a very good "Cold War" flick about a submarine full of USSR KGB agents, who have as their mission -- instigating WWIII between China and the USA. The agents are to seize control of the sub and the nuclear missile. The Captain was hand chosen by the Top officials because they think he will fail due to trauma on the home front. But... This is a very well done film which will keep you guessing right up to a very good ending.
--Jack the Giant Killer is the fairy tale Jack in the Bean Stalk on steroids and with a lot of poetic license.
--21 & Over is this weeks homage to drugs, drinking and dumbed-down crudeness. It will be a  box office hit, but I won't be one of those paying for Hollywood debauchery. The sad thing is that they make these films for the youngest amongst us.

The Conscience: Chapter 15 continues.
  After ten minutes of often animated conversation always tempered by the geezer, the older man waved his hand as if saying, I have enough, go back to where you came from. The hothead sat back in his chair , the scraping noise searing my recovering brain. He stared for a moment, pounded his hand on the table and left, not looking back. I watched him walk towards the Biglietto warehouse building and round that corner towards the alley I had walked last night.
  When I turned back to the table, the older man was gone. He was who I was more interested in. I didn't know why, but I had this sense. I stood, almost panicked and looked in all directions. I felt the nip in my breast pocket. Just feeling that lump gave me a little comfort. Finally I saw him emerging from a crowd of tourists. He wasn't walking fast, just enjoying the sunny day. I reached into my pocket and pulled out probably more lira than needed and threw them on the table. I picked up my paper and started to leave. But, I returned, grabbed that sweet pastry, wrapped it up in a napkin and put it in my pocket. My coat was fast becoming a food and drink pantry.
  I started to follow the old gent thinking that if I tripped and fell, I I would be a sugary, alcohol drenched mess. Now smiling, I appeared the happy foreign businessman rejoicing from a good sale. I picked up my pace, to appear like I was on a mission instead of a surreptitious tail. I wonder If I read that somewhere.
  The old man didn't look like he had a mission. He just sauntered along. Maybe he isn't important at all. Maybe I just created this scenario of intrigue. No, they were much too interested in the Bernard story.
  The man's head turned to his left. I like an obvious fool, I jumped towards a lamppost. But, he wasn't looking at me. He was reaching out with both arms to some one out of my sight line. In another second, I saw Angelica walk into his arms and return his hug. Do they call it a hug in Italy?
 
In the "Red and Rover comic this morning (It's a cute little comic about a young boy and his dog), Red getting off the school bus to the waiting River says, "I got a C+ on my paper, 'I want to be an astronaut when I grow up'." Red added, "Apparently my hopes and dreams and aspirations were no match against my poor spelling, punctuation and grammar." Hmmmm.

The Answer:
Jackie Bouvier Kennedy grew up on Hammersmith Farm in Newport RI, while Roger Daltrey, John Entwhistle and Peter Townsend were born in Hammersmith, England. Daltrey was the "My way or the Highway" leader of the band and ruled literally with an iron fist. He was thrown out of the band after he beat the crap out of drummer Kieth Moon for selling drugs to Entwhistle and Townsend. Some of the best songs from Quadrephenia were "The Real Me", "I am the Sea", "Cut my Hair", "5:15", "I'm One", "The Dirty Job" and the title song "Quadrephenia".

Check out this Daltry, John Entwhistle, Chieftains Carnegie Hall concert song:
http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2012/01/07/roger-daltrey-john-entwistle-the-chieftains-behind-blue-eyes-live-at-carnegie-hall-1994/

I thought the early seventies was a good music era. One of the better ones, actually.

It's always good to start the weekend on a musical note.