Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Monday, March 9, 2015

Cold slowin’.

Today's Tids Issue 3,288
Opening Stuff:
 
I don’t like making plans for the day, because Premeditated gets you into too much trouble in court.
 
Warning: Don’t read the answer to the question if you want to be surprised on Sunday.
 
Times they are a-changing, Department:
Or this could be, “Richard the Lionhearted be damned”. Sitting in our hotel room watching the snow swirl, blow and mount outside our window, we were startled by a rap on the door. In walked Harry, my 8 year old Grandson. “Mom’s parking the car,” he said. He smiled at us, hugged Grand and came over to me and started talking, “You know granddad, when I came in I asked the receptionist which room my grandmother Anne was in.” He continued, “I really wanted to use your name Granddad, but I don’t like to say the word ‘Dick’!” Yikes – call me Joshua, call me Ethan, but don’t call me Dick. Double yikes, My middle names are Willie and Peter.
 
I think that president Obama after stepping out from the White House could run for King of Indonesia and win.
 
The Question:
--Yesterday we did the best movie odds. Who are the oddmakers picking in the best actress, best actor contest?
 
The Headlines:
--Germany Rejects Greek Loan Request.
--Stock Market Bouncing Along On Lethargy.
--Ukraine Truce Failing To Keep Attacks Down.
--US Freeze Moves urther South; Naples Fla To Hit 32F By Tomorrow Morn.
--Wal-Mart To Pay Workers More.
--Prez Says We Are Not At War With Islam, But Those Perverting Islam Who Happen To Be Muslim; “O: Offers New Social Solutions To Stop ISIS Agression..
--Video Evidence Shows That It Was Bruce Jenner That Started The Accident That Killed.
 
Up here in Maine, my daughters’ mailbox gets knocked over so many times by plows that she just digs a hole in the snow drift, and the mailmen here know that’s for them. The problem is that the plows keep filling the hole so dinging out the mail is part of the local culture. As opposed to diggin’ the male, which is more urban bar scene.
 
Oops! Department;
Is my mind going or what? Yesterday I wrote that Octavia Spenser was the cute girl Eloise in the movie Black and/or White. But, Octavia was the grandmother Rowena. Eloise was played by Jillian Estell. Keen eyed readers will continue to keep me whole.
 
The Oops Department seems to be getting much too much work lately.
 
Of course the coming Oscar excitement is keeping movie fanatics hearts atwitter. Neil Patrick Harris is the new host fave and will be flying around the stage and up and down the aisles to much applause. Even though I was a big Bob Hope fan for years, I believe that Billy Crystal was one of the best ever. But I guess eras really determine what’s funny or not. What’s entertainment or drudgery. Everything is relative in the world and yet we still measure in absolutes forgetting foundational changes. Bob was the greatest as was Billy, and I guess maybe Neil is up there too. But, he doesn’t make me laugh like the other two.
 
In November 60 degrees makes you shiver. In February 35 degrees feels like summer. The body adjusts to anything, and as long as the mind doesn’t interfere with the natural order of adaptation, living in varying climates isn’t that big a deal.
 
On the same subject, the first big blizzard feels like a disaster, but after that living in the winter just becomes a way of life, as long as you don’t listen to hysterical news people. Or your mind.
 
I see where the Gov has OK’d then idea of genetically altered apples, which is probably the beginning of genetically altered anything. The basic idea of the apple exercise is to get rid of the brown color that develops after a bite or two. That’s it, get rid of brown. The big question: Will foodies alter their definition of “Natural” I order to latch on to his potential out of control new cultural phase.
 
The hot new viral video is that of a golden Eagle laying an egg. 308 Million people stopped to watch it on Ustream – 14 minutes of an eagle sitting, occasionally twitching.  It’s tedious. Now if she had turned around and stepped on it… .(Note: I would have given you the URL, but I didn’t want you dozing before the end of the Tids.)
 
That reminds me of the day when  I decided I wasn’t going to be an engineer. It was in a mechanical engineer lab class where the rest of class mates were orgasmic watching for a half hour or so a metal bar stretch and eventually break, with the resultant applause and wonder. And I thought, what am I doing here? it was like watching an eagle lay and egg, if I knew that at the time. Maybe I do have ADD.
 
I changed the name of toilet from John, because it sounded better to say I was going to the Jim.
 
Reading Between the Lines Movie Review:
The big promotional movie of the week is McFarland, based on a true story that occurred in the Central California regional town of the films name. Kevin (I’m everywhere) Costner plays a coach who comes to a pretty much all Latino school. After an awkward beginning, he is surprised to see the boys as exceptional runners with great stamina.  And decides that cross country should be their main sport. He overcomes his little stereotyping issues and becomes impressed with heir strong work ethic and strong family relationships. This film released just about the time Obama’s illegal Immigration edict was to take action to transform America, reminds me of Breaking Away, the great Bicycle race movie of around d 1980, a film about the working class kids stocking it to the arrogant, stuffy, rich, waspy white guys. Hollywood needs a new life.
 
The Answer:
The top men according to the Oddschecker website which delivers a consensus of British betting parlors are Eddie Redmayne , Michael Keaton, Bradley Cooper, Benedict Cumberbatch and Steve Carrell. For the ladies we have Juliette Moore a super favorite followed by Reese Witherspoon, Rosamund Pike, Falicity Jones and Marion Cotillard.
 
I included the Movie review, because it is unlikely that I will get to the Tids tomorrow. But I may be gathering lots of good stuff for a cool Monday.
 
Enjoy the ice!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment