Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

In a land of milk and honey, white doves coo..



Today's Tids Isue 3,413
Opening Stuff:

There really is nothing better than being in love. The smile on the face, the tingles, the absolutely wonderful feeling of giving. Yup there’s something to be said about walking on air; head in the clouds; blue birds singing.

I had the chance yesterday to talk to a guy who is one of the top three marine photographers in the world. He had just returned from a shoot in Rio de Janero in Brazil, so I asked him about the infamous dirty waters. He said that the reported hysteria about disease is total bunk. He had just spent 10 days sailing in those waters photographing the races and saw nary a sick sailor. In fact he said, “There are local waters here in RI that I would avoid way before anything I saw in Brazil.” Complainers like to complain, and the media will always pick up on the most negative of criticisms, especially when “pollution” is involved. The real pollution in this world may be in printers ink and in the pens of the reporters.

If you think about it, if wasn’t for Social Security and retirement pensions, most restaurants would close.

Some times when the world is particularly frustrating I think of doing something drastic, like dropping my membership in Publishers Clearing House (PCH) Sweepstakes.

The Question:
According to USA Hiring Mangers, what are considered the top ten best US colleges?

The Headlines:
--Stocks Open Up 200; China Has Rebound Day; Gold Looking Risky; Private Sector Added 190,000 Jobs; Factory Orders Rise In July, 2nd Month I A row.
--Obama Gets Last Vote Needed To Ok Iran Deal.
--Illinois Cop Killer Search Broadens As Murderers Elude Police; Illinois Killing Is Fourth Police Officer Death In 8 Days.
--RNC Debate Rule Change Assures A Spot For Carly Fiorina At Grown Up Table.
--Russia And China Strengthen Ties With Largest Joint Naval Operation Ever.

Serena Williams has had her negative moments during a long career, but she may be one of the all time great tennis players. She seems to be getting better with maturity.

Walking on air is great unless somebody tells me I’m light in my  loafers.

As far as I can determine, one of the biggest lies of the new millennium is “Hands up, don’t shoot. And, I contend that is getting a lot of good policeman shot. So that isn’t politically correct – Shoot me.

One of the biggest problems in trying to sort out the decaying stock market is that historical based analysis isn’t quite as relevant for today as it has been in the past. Today, with computerization of trading and global markets that seem inches away, huge paradigm events can transpire in seconds, instead of the decades of the past. It isn’t like “US Steel has turned on another blast furnace,” anymore.

Case For Voter ID, Department;
7 Counties in Texas List More Voters than Residents! Must have something to do with Political Science or whatever.

I hear that Mayor DiBlasio is thinking of banning Brazil.

My head was in the clouds this morning, until I realized it was low hanging fog.

These AGT (America’s Got Talent) judges (Especially the ever unctuous Howard Stern) are just much too an annoying intrusion into what are some pretty entertaining performances. But, I endure their bias and simplistic opinions because I like some of the talent. Just 5 of 12 will be selected from last night’s show and it will be tough with some good acts going. First, I’m concerned about Derek Hughes, who I like, but who may have not outperformed another magician/illusionist OZ. I love Mountain Faith Bluegrass, and apparently so do many with a broader view of the world than the narrow minded NYC denizens. 12 year Old Arielle Baril, the little girl with the big voice was a little disappointing last night. Still good, but maybe the song was just too big for her. I liked the Craig Lewis Band again. Siro-A is quite the amazing modern, electronic dance team. I would also like to see Benton Blount make it through, but then I’m showing my Country bias. But, he is good. Samantha Johnson is definitely another strong contender. Didn’t like her song last night, but she did it well. The Metal Mulisha Army daring motor cycle riding acrobats certainly thrill, but I’ve seen enough of them. Drew Lynch is sympathetic but really not funny to me. Ira was good in the beginning, but has lost me. I think Oz Perlman, Mountain Faith, Samantha Johnson, Craig Lewis and Siro-A make the cut. That leaves out three of my favorites Benton, Arielle and Derek.

It might be fun  to keep a  eye on the PC market now that Intel has just announced a new super chip that enables facial recognition technology instead of passwords, reduces power consumption, eliminates wires needed all while boosting performance. The password elimination sounds great, and I don’t believe there is any way I can forget my face. Does that mean I’ll have to shave everyday?

Yesterday Obama said, The Glacier Is Melting, The Glacier Is Melting. Today news broke that he ordered more Coast Guard Icebreakers. Go figure.

I don’t which is more annoying, PCH Sweepstakes or Howard Stern.

The Parking Lot: Chapter 12.
    Jeremiah Hicks was shaken as he rode his horse into the small coral next to his parents tidy frame house. Their home and the acres that went to the sea on one side and large lake on the other had always been a sense of pride and independence for this hardworking, innovative family. But, today it looked different. It wasn’t simply because of the coolness of Elizabeth at the way she dismissed him from the camp. Or even anger he saw in her father’s eyes, eyes that had always been kind to him. He always felt a part of the tribe, But at that moment he felt like an intruder. You should go now, she said to him. She didn’t reach up to touch his sleeve, or indicate in any way a sense of loss at him leaving. She seemed resolute to whatever was happening, resolute like daughter of the chief should.
   The tension was apparent as the boy went inside and saw his parents whispering. Their heads looked up as he entered and their eyes flashed recognition, but only that. The only sounds above the hushed conversation were chopping by the kitchen sink as his two sisters and younger brother prepared food for mom to cook. That seemed normal, except for the lack of the laughter.
   His father stood and nodded for him to come to the table. His mother sat back, but gone was the smile that always welcomed him home from the Indian settlement. “What was it like at the camp,” his father asked.
   Now he knew that his father and mother knew all about whatever caused the commotion when those riders appeared. “Angry, it felt angry”. Then he started rattling words like a kid would. “The women were all doing what they always do. But after the riders appeared and started talking they began looking at me like I was a coyote or bear coming to steal their food. Elizabeth’s eyes went blank like the rest. And her father, who is your friend dad, our friend, became rigid. Like he didn’t know me.”
   Could you understand anything they said?” asked mom softly.
   “I heard “White intruders.” Time to rise up.” “King Phillip.” His mother placed her hands on her opposite upper arms and hugged herself, and shuddered.

The Answer:
#1 is Harvard. Next is MIT which is followed by Stanford, Yale, Princeotn, Duke, Columbia, Penn, Dartmouth and Cal Berkley. The next group is a tie between CalTech and Cornell followed by Chicago, US Naval Academy, Northwestern, Georgetown, Michigan, Virginia, Johns Hopkins and Military Academy. Rounding out the top 25 we have Carnegie-Mellon, Brown, NYU, Notre Dame and Boston College.  Another way to look at the hirers favorite college for employees is to rank colleges by “highest median starting salary among graduates. Here’s the list of the highest ($60K and Above)”: Naval Academy, Harvey Mudd, Military Academy, CalTech, MIT, Stanford,  Carnegie-Mellon, RPI, Babson, Georgia Tech, Lehigh U, and a tie between Rice and Princeton.

If I see you humming a love song, I won’t intrude. I‘ll just enjoy your smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment