Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Pride in one’s country is called nationalism.



Today's Tids Issue 4,346
Happy Z's!

Happy Last Full Day of Winter, E-v-e-r-y-b-o-d-y! Yes, theoretically, it’s going to get better, for those thinking being dreadfully hot in July is better. Of course, one of the great things about living through a winter is that the approach of spring becomes special, regardless of whether or not it is warmer or sunnier. I like things that are special.

And, a good reader reminds me: “While some puns, make me feel numb, Mathematics puns make me feel number.”  

Today is “Z” day. That stands for the amazingly delicious Zeppole, the Italian cream puff that is pervasive throughout our land every March 19th. One baker this morning said, as he looked out at the lines forming early in front of his shop, “I will sell 60,000 today. That’s up from 42K last year.” The big problem for the Italian sector of RI who will be marching today for Saint Joe today, is that the State House still is bathed in green light for St. P. And, the Governor is Italian. There will be no kilts nor bag pipes, but there will be lots of smiles throughout the state, and enormous pride in the hearts of Italians from Providence to Westerly.

NYU Students have blamed Chelsea Clinton for the massacre in New Zealand. Yikes! And to think that some Democrats, including a couple in the RI delegation, have proposed lowering the voting age to sixteen.

I just have this feeling that “Dumbo” is going to be a nice movie to watch, regardless of age.

The Question:
Why did Don McClain name his song about Holly, Valens and Bopper -- “American Pie?” Bonus: Which Collages have the most “Final Four” appearances in the NCAA tourney?

The Headlines:
--Stocks open Stronger With Fed Meeting On tap.
--Nebraska And Other Midwest Areas Battling Widespread Flooding; 75 Cities, 64 Counties Declare Emergency.
--Cyclone Aftermath Submerges Much Of Mozambique; Over A Thousand Dead.
--Tids Sports Department Reveals Final Four Picks (At end of Tids)
--Newark First US City To Experiment With “Universal Basic Income”.
--Trump Slams Kelly Ann Conway’s Husband As Total Loser.
--Another Investigator Leaves Mueller Team; Could Be Sign That The Investigation Is Coming To A Close.
--Henrik Fisker’s Fisker Inc Unveils New Electric SUV Designed To Compete With The Tesla Y.
--Judge Orders Release Of Cohen’s Redacted Emails

The Singapore Consultancy says the world’s “7 Smart Cities” are London, Singapore, Seoul, London, New York, Helsinki and Boston. Just so you don’t wander thee unprepared.

When do events become history?

Pride in one’s country, called nationalism, isn’t defined by the color of skin, religion, gender, age, or you are a cat person or dog person.

Department of Corrections:
I must have blown my nose so hard that my brain went out with it and my mind went blank. Because, when I was writing about Beckinsale’s nose I kept spelling it Blankinsale. 2. Gillliland only has 3 “L’s. 3. Most embarrassing is that I didn’t give you the answer to the Bonus Q – I think all of you knew it was “White Sport Coat and Pink Carnation”. Put me in jail.

So, did you hear about the guy who, after his girlfriend said she’d like to see less of him, went on a diet.

At $10.20 a share, GE looks like a real bargain. But, I guess the gurus think the historic company that formerly did everything right has a long way to go before it puts itself together again.

I was in the hospital this morning for a routine check-up and as I looked at the Nurse’s “Designer” uniform top, all I could think of was “Decorator” Kleenex boxes.

The world is coming to an end! UConn women did not get a #1 seed. I wonder if AOC knows that climate has competition.

BTW, the top four seeds in the Women’s Tourney are Baylor at number one followed by Notre Dame, Louisville and Mississippi State. Baylor is big and talented. This tournament will be better than ever as the talent levels around the country just gets deeper and better, and stronger every year.

When I was in grammar school, we learned that the other temperature scale was Centigrade. Then one day in my later years I became aware of people saying “Celsius”. I’m thinking, it could be one of those uptown trendy things, or perhaps my mind foggier than I realized for too many years? I still call it centigrade, but what I have learned is that the Centigrade system was invented by a Swedish guy named Celsius. Even more embarrassing to my self-esteem is the ability to stay current in that the name was changed in 1948!!

President Trump is pressuring GM to reopen their Ohio plant. That’s not the way capitalism works. Only sole-proprietorship empires.

The problem a lot of Senators running for president have is that they get so over confident when they win in their own state by a landslide, an forget that everybody in the other 49 may have no clue of who they are or what they do. Most people say, Who?

They call them phone zombies. You know, all those you see walking blindly on sidewalks or across busy streets with their heads in their phones. No wonder the TV program “The Walking Dead” gets such high ratings. This is us.

Yet, there are some in US cities who are thinking of enabling them by putting green and red lights in the crosswalks below the curbs so those with eyes ever downward can see the light change. Is removing personal responsibility good for society?

The Answer:
“American Pie” was the name of the plane carrying the three pop singers who were killed. Bonus: North Carolina leads with 20. Following the Tar Heels is Kentucky (17), and then a tie between Duke and UCLA (16). Kansas has 15 and finally in double digits is Ohio State with 10. The rest with 5 or more are Michigan State, Louisville, Indiana, Arkansas, Cinn, Mich, Okla, Conn, Florida, GTown and Houston.  

Ok, here are my picks. I would definitely not follow them. Elite 8: Duke Michigan Sate, Gonzaga, Michigan, Virginia, Cincinnati, North Carolina, Auburn, Iowa State and Seton Hall. The Final 4: Duke, Michigan, Cinncy and Auburn. Duke will beat Auburn in the Final. I rarely pick Duke, but I did this time because of Zion, a great player. If he gets hurt, all bets are off.


No comments:

Post a Comment