Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

“e” is the hope.

Today's Tids Issue 2,062
Opening Stuff:

Stories that really get to me are those of women fighting against their heroin addiction. I’d put an “e” after heroin every day when talking of these people who see the error and are willing to fight the enormous battle to get back to where they probably always wanted to be. I always see a sense of hope in the eyes of these valiant recovering addicts. But, more often I see fear…knowing that they are a hair away from relapse. The struggle is awesome. It breaks my heart.

This admin is the master of specious arguments.

The Question:

The acclaimed Arthur Miller premiered his new play “Death of a Salesman” 61 years ago today. Name five other plays by this Pulitzer Prize winner and former husband of …Bonus Question: Who?

The Headlines:

--Blizzards Blast Big Apple, DC; New England Next.
--Rare Earthquake Hits Northern Illinois.
--Pakistan Confirms Death Of Taliban Leader Mehsud.
--Honda To Recall 437,000 Cars Over Problematic Air Bags.
--Trade Deficit Jumps Sharply In December.
--0-Man Says He Is Willing To Compromise On health Care.
--Greek Unions Strike Against Austerity Plan.

More Stuff:

How many people have said to themselves after hearing a definition of derivatives or hedge funds or some other Wall Street scheme…”It’s all Greek to me!”. These days it’s all Greek all the time to everybody. Would you ever have imagined that your pension fund would be subject to the follies of Greeks? Maybe it’s a tribute to the Olympics thing.

This Tids Guy is always willing to give the opposition due consideration for good deeds. But, that kind and loving spirit could come to a screeching halt if Michelle Obama in her new shallow publicity grab about fat kids messes with my gravy.

Death penalty for drug dealers just seems to flow off my tongue like dark chocolate. That is if they don’t kill themselves. Legalize guns for dealers.

I’m tired of reading newspaper stories that begin “(Fill in Blank) disease may be linked to (Odd root cause of the moment).

Somebody tell Charles Barkley that it is over.

I’m reading that headline about the unions fighting the austerity plan of the near Bankrupt Greece. And, I’m thinking Rhode Island, California. Why do public employees seem to think that the recession has no affect on them?

There is a rumor that the crassest public human being in America is on the short list to replace Simon Cowell on Idol. Yes folks, Howard Stern may be sitting next to Ellen Degenerous. Can you say show in decline?

The big question of the day is how to write about the death of a well known person who you don’t particularly like or respect. The sudden passing of Congressman Murtha created that poser. Personally, I thought he was a slug, but you can’t say that about a guy who believed in what he was doing and worked hard for his constituents. So, I guess the best policy is “If you can’t say anything nice about a person, don’t say anything at all.” So disregard that I said he was a slug.

I was listening to an interesting talk about the “Myth of the Robber Barons”. You may not know, but the term Robber Baron was coined at the height of the Great Depression when an opportunistic writer named Matthew Josephson capitalized on the anger of the moment to write his book “The Robber Barons”. (Sound Familiar?) The lecturer’s great line was, “In my early college years I thought of Josephson’s book as my bible…that is, until I learned something.” Haven’t you noticed the fertile minds of college kids leaping upon the cause of the hour only to find they had been hoodwinked by those who knew how to control and play their gullibility?

How many of you have ever noticed after skiing, getting in your car and thinking that you had til the last minute to make a 90 degree turn. Sure scares the passengers.

The next big wave in corporate philosophies is going to be lots of apparent love and amenities for employees. It will become the basis of creating dual purpose companies where the real motivation is doing good and good profits is just the fall out. Or, is that just the means of .com and software entrepreneurs assuaging their guilt over having multi-millions in the bank at the age of 26.

The Novel:

Through the Same Eyes: Chapter 54: --I was wondering how the meeting with Isabelle was going. I doubt if she was devastated, or at least exhibited any concern. She is a tough woman. But on the other hand, Henry plays the folksy sheriff well, and would be equal to Isabelle. I expect Isabelle will be calling me when Henry leaves asking why I didn’t inform her of my suspicions. The phone rang. That was fast I thought as I reached over and picked up the receiver. Hello. At the other end I heard a wonderful raspy voice. “Hi Kent. Miss me??” I smiled, no…broke into a huge grin, “Well hello. Of course I did. And do.” “I can’t talk long”, she started, “I’d love to, but the voice just doesn’t work that well.” I didn’t ask questions. But wanted to just talk and talk and talk. She continued. “I had a good chat with Jack about BiEm financing, and he will probably be there to meet with Izzy this afternoon.” You should know that we think that this mess could be a positive for moving forward. Although”, she paused to take a breath. “Although Izzy right now is probably thinking her world is crumbling. I want you to know what is coming down.” I interrupted, “Thanks. I’m expecting a call from her any moment now. I’m not expecting it to be pleasant.”

More Stuff:

The people at the NFL offices are rejoicing over their so called most viewers ever results for the SB. Well, it was the most viewers but not the best showing. The SuperBowl slipped by the all time champ M*A*S*H with 106.5 Million viewers versus the longs standing record of 105.97 Million. That is a virtual dead heat considering the plus-minus reliability figure. But, more important is that the SB had the advantage of 31 Million more sets in action. So good old M*A*S*H garnered 77% of the people watching as opposed to the 68% of the SuperBowl. In other words the current SB ratings are on steroids.

Don’t you get the impression that there is now a little piling on in the Toyota affair?

In the eyes of their own customers, banks least likely to conform to the statement “My financial provider does what’s best for me, no just their bottom line” are BofA, Chase, Capital One, TD Commerce, Fifth Third, CitiBank and in last place HSBC. Beware.

The Answer:

Arthur was the former husband of Marilyn Monroe and wrote two more important plays The Crucible and A View from the Bridge. After the fall was written after his divorce from Marilyn. Among other plays were The Creation of the World and Other Business, The Ride Down Mt. Morgan, Broken Glass and The Last ya-ya-ya…(Well you know who I mean). He also wrote the script for the movie Mistfits starring is now on drugs wife MM.

The End:

Yesterday the Senate failed to move forward the nomination of Obama Labor Board nominee Craig Becker. This is a significant negative development in the President’s agenda to pay back big labor. And perhaps for all of his programs. According to Acorn documents, Becker was listed as a council while he was SEIU Counsel. Becker had denied any relationship with Acorn. Even more significant, this is the first post Scott Brown showdown in the Senate and reveals the new balance of power. Voting counts!

No comments:

Post a Comment