Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Friday, February 26, 2010

You can always find something good.

Today's Tids Issue 2,074
Opening Stuff:

How great is the news that Pakistan and India are talking to each other. Any time that mortal enemies with nukes sit down to chat in a friendlier than average way, it is always good news. In this case it is even better. With an easing of tensions on the Pakistan southern border, it frees up troops to fight the hated Taliban in the North. What it comes down to is that the Pakistanis hate the North Pakistan Taliban even more than the old foe India. Ironically, the Pakistanis love the Afghanistan Taliban. Can you say heroin?

Hey, you have to take your good news where you can find it. I find it in touching my toes…and then rising back up straight again. And not having to call 911.

I’m on the side that says lets get rid of the alleged waste in healthcare first – and that includes adding serious tort reform --and then start building a new program after we see what we have left.

The Question:
The Harris Interactive Research Company has completed a massive poll across 1,000 brands across 42 product categories to determine the “Highest Rated Brands” by consumers. What are the top five?

The Headlines:
--Nothing Gained At Summit.
--Stocks See A Little Sunlight Through The Snowflakes.
--New York, Non-Coastal New England Buried Under Snow.
--Pundits Wonder If Complicated Reconciliation Is Next Step After Summit.
--AIG Loses $8.9 Billion.
--Iraq To reinstate 20,000 Sadaam-era Army Oficers.
--Ethics Panel Finds House Ways & Means Chairman Rangel Found In Violation Of Rules.

Back to More Stuff:

Cute, Cuddly Thieves and Killers Department: --If the Killer Whale was a pit bull he’d be dead. The perception of cuddliness counts. –Doris Thompson is a life long thief and willing to steal from anybody. She’s received serious jail time 7 times. But, because she is 80 something and some people think she is cute, she has achieved kindly eccentric status. But, if she gets out again, lock your doors. She rationalizes her thievery of medical offices by saying that doctors are cheats and keep their money in drawers. But here’s her explanation for a 55 year life of crime: “I wouldn’t do all this nonsense if the government gave us more money.”! Tell her to start robbing some illegals before they send it home.

Don’t expect many novelists of the future to be romanticizing their favorite “dog eared” Kindle.

Wiley in his cartoon series “Non Sequitur” often explains the feelings of average folks about complex subjects in simple terms. For instance, today he depicts the Garden of Eden with a nude Adam and Eve standing behind bushes and a leering snake dangling form a tree next to a big ole’ apple. The captions says: “He says it’s a subprime fruit we can have at an adjustable rate, so what’s the worst that can happen?”

Dangling the Rosy Red Apple for fun & Profit Department: Bernanke says that the Central Bank is looking into possible shenanigans by Goldman Sachs and other Clueless Lane companies revolving around the use of high risk financial instruments like Credit Default Swaps (CDS) to make bets that Greece would default on its debt. Is Wall Street the biggest Bookie joint in the universe?

Don’t you wonder how groups of people or countries can hate each other for thousands of years?

The Novel:

Through the Same Eyes: Chapter 56 continues.
I was feeling kind of beautiful as I sat up in my bed awaiting Kent, and Izzy. My mind was racing but not as fast as my heart. I heard a commotion outside my room. I sat up straight, and took another quick glance at the mirror. I’m feel like a girl on her first date. I looked up.
“Hi beautiful. Good news.”
It was Paul. “Paul! What a surprise. I’m sure my cheeks were brilliant red.” He ran in and gave me a huge hug. I guess he didn’t think I was brittle any more. “I pushed him away. Just a little.
“I found a baby sitter for the kids, called the hospital and asked them to send up an extra dinner for me. I thought it was time we had a little romantic dinner!”
I looked at him. He seemed so happy. I didn’t know what I felt. But, he was bubbling. That is very nice Paul”. It sounded flat.
“They wouldn’t let me bring a candle.” He laughed. “I heard from Kent Middleton’s group that the financing went through. They seemed happy to have me on board and of course very happy for the future afforded them by a certain brilliant financier!”
He picked up my hand and held it.
“I can hardly wait to have you at home.”
Before I could answer, I heard footsteps entering the room. Kent followed Izzy to my bedside. I looked up and my heart leapt. Kent started to smile that little smile of his. Then I noticed that his eyes went to my hand in Paul’s.

Back To More Stuff, Again:

Clinton will never stop distorting the truth about his perjury.

I guess one of my favorite things is applauding people who overcome big falls. People who pull themselves up without the manufactured façade of a public relations campaign. I have been disheartened lately over the unwarranted outrage by YouTube aficionados, Tweeters and FaceBookers highlighting some bad notes hit by former great and now recovering Whitney Houston. I firmly believe that this woman wants to make it back to, at least, herself. 10’s of thousands of Australians during her current tour are loving what she is doing. However, because of some personal inadequacies Tweeter and YouTube twits are relishing her occasional, very occasional stumble. And, broadcasting throughout the world.

I was disappointed with the removal of Joe Mendes from the idol last night. I thought the kid connected and frankly was very refreshing amidst a lot of the crap I saw Wednesday evening. I’m guessing the judges were surprised too. As was Urban who was totally amazed that he survived over Mendes. The Tids correctly picked 3 of the 4 castoffs. But, the miss was a big one.

Reading Between the Lines Movie Reviews:
--I’ve been watching the trailers for “Cop Out” wondering who would ever watch that except the brain dead? The critics this morning totally agree. But, there are plenty of brain dead out there who will flock to this because of favorite stars like Bruce Willis, Tracey Morgan and Sean William Scott will do stupid things and be in car wrecks. Willis is very Willis, but I personally tired of that act shortly after “Moonlight”. The plot is thin and the jokes are very weak. It’s a buddy picture about two cops trying to stop the spread of a Mexican drug gang. The funniest thing about this movie is watching Director Kevin Smith trying to get out of an airplane seat.
--The great Russian author Leo Tolstoy may seem like a dull subject as the premise for a movie. But this film starring Helen Mirren, James McAvoy, Christopher Plummer, Paul Giamatti and Kerry Condon is quite good. It is centered around the fifty year marriage of Tolstoy (Plummer) and his wife (Mirren) and her efforts to stop her duped, communist leaning hubby from donating the family fortune to a anarchistic peace movement just before the great revolution. I think it looks good.
--The Crazies with Timothy Olyphant and Radha Mitchell is much better than you may think. For some mysterious reason people of a small Iowa farm town are turning into homicidal maniacs. Nervous townsfolk and a no-holds-barred lawman make for some excellent escapism.

There is absolutely no reason to give into old age. You are always the same person and you will be surprised at what you can keep on doing, if you don’t believe it’s time to start stopping doing it. And, that goes for people who think turning 40, 50, 60, and 70 is getting old.

Do you think anybody will notice when the players in Major League Soccer go on strike as planned?

You can always find anecdotal evidence (See “Summit”) to support any cause you support. It’s just a cheap trick used by salesmen without a good story. I know. I used it often.

The Answer:
The 2010 winners are Hersey Kisses, M&M Plain chocolate, Hershey’s Milk chocolate candy bar, Google and Duracel Batteries. The top 10 in 2009 were M&M plain, Hersey Kisses, Arm&Hammer baking soda, Reese’s Peanut Butter cups, Hershey’s bar, Kleenex, Campbell’s, Google M&M Peanut and Crayola. You are not alone in your cravings for chocolate!

The End:

Roses are red.
Snow is white.
I hope your weekend,
Is a pure delight!


.

No comments:

Post a Comment