Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Iran moderate. Yeah, sure.


Today's Tids Issue 2,859
Opening Stuff:
 
I guess when you are looking for beautiful women these days, you have to start in the fifty mile stretch between South Glastonbury Ct and Cranston RI. That's where the last two Miss USA's came from. Who woulda thunk it.

Who likes the tea party least? I mean other than those who in general just like scoffing at anything conservative. What's not to like about groups of Americans thinking it's time to eliminate spending and control the growth of a central government. Who likes the Tea Party least -- Government Employees. How can they get on board when the object of Tea Party members is to eliminate their jobs, and remove the prospects of those types of jobs ever appearing again. So, when you hear the clamor against the Tea Party; see the IRS singling them out for attack; You know that it's probably just a bunch of government employees trying to save a paycheck, not realizing or wanting to realize that they are part of a gigantic problem. Don't let the noise drown out the necessity of citizen efforts to bring back sanity to the USA.

Well, It's waiting  for Godot...I mean Bernanke this week. That's what the markets do each month around now. If the markets don't like what the guru says, they'll just extrapolate his words to create an outcome they want. But, we wait, anyhow.

The Question:
Who was Bernie Sahlins? Name five celebs associated with him.

The Headlines:
--NSA Chief Says That Security Surveillance Programs Prevented Over 50 Potential Ats Of Terrorism; One Was Major Assault On Wall Street.
--Dow Up Strongly Approaching Noon Hour.
--At G8 Putin Remains Powerful Defender Of Assad; Re-Elected Russian Prez Ramps Up Anti-Western Dialogue.
--Taliban Ready to Talk Piece With Afghan Leaders.
--Snowden Says US Can't over Up Its Mess By Murdering Me.
--Hundreds Of Thousands Take To Streets Of Major Cities In Brazil To Protest Against Declining Public Services, Police Violence And Government Corruption.

The prospects of getting shot seem greater than ever. People don't just get mad any more, they kill. There just seems to be more and more of these isolated stories about simple disagreements that result in death. So the next time a shaven head 30 somthing with a black T-Shirt and fuzzy nose to chin area leans out of the car window to shout "FU"; or when a twentyish woman with tied back staright hair driving a small car just running a stop sign gives me a a finger...guess what I'm going to do? Nothing. You never know what you can't see.

Oh yeah, do I believe in profiling? Absolutely.

The Voice Finale. I have to say that I have become a fan of Usher. What a pleasant..and talented guy he is. Last night the duet between Usher and Michelle Chamuel was as good as any musical event I've seen. The Voice is definitely out-doing the granddaddy American Idol. One area where they shine is in the judges, four who are all actually quite nice and seemingly caring people, Shakira is terrific as is Blake Shelton. Adam Levine is pleasant, when he's not confused and of course there the affable Usher. The judges sang together setting a great tone for the program with "I get by with a little help from my friends" It was great, and Shikira and Usher stood out. But who cares about judges, it's the singing that counts. I thought Swon Brother lost a little last night with their song choices, which though clearly showing their range, were not terribly entertaining. Oh they sang well, but they didn't have the fun they normally do. Danielle (16 yo) has the best voice of the three, actually quite an amazing rich voice. Plenty of people think she will win, and her country roots won't hurt. But, God, that Michelle deliverers. She is unique and uniquely energetic. She pounds tunes and gets the audience throbbing. I wait for her to appear and I am never disappointed. So, my favorite is easily Michelle.

The CBOE Volatility Index, also know as the "Fear Index" has been shown climbing off of its docile status of the past months. It is not near "Awful" yet, but it is a signal for a change in what wll drive the market. In addition, it is summer, and that heat often affects logical thinking until a couple of weeks after labor day. Also, the market has pretty much used up all of the "Bargain" Stocks of 2011 and 2012. Good buys therefore will be harder to find especially when considering the best opportunities are in strong companies in distressed economic situations. Dividend and revenue growth stocks still present opportunities as does a shift into more cyclical stocks primarily in industrials, health care and technology. When written on paper it looks sensible, until you realize, it is summer. And this summer may be the beginning of the weaker half of the year.

The idea of pitching a tent on an island in a river within Central Falls RI is beyond me. It's a nice theory, using rare greenery within the one mile square town once know as coaine central. But as one local resident near the park said, "Some wierd people floatin' round here at night." Aside from the sarcasm, the larger point here is that this poor city coming out of bankruptcy is fighting like hell to be a better place for a lot of really good people, a city unfortunately too often painted with a broader brush of negativity.

It's looking to me that the Immigration law upgrade is primarily designed to give more free stuff to people who broke the law.

The big story is Hasan Rowhani, the new "Moderate President of Iran. In his first press conference he bent a little to the West saying the country will have more openness about their nuclear activities and they want to negotiate opening up with the US and allies. Of course, he also said they will continue to enrich uranium and they will not be run by US interference. So the middle East beat goes on where the clerics and army rule Iran's "people's choice" and in Afghanistan the Taliban asks for piece talks so they can get rid of the US and retake the country, as usual.

The Conscience: Chapter 23 continues.
    Jeffery, I seem to bother you. Don't you know that we like you here. So don't be tense, I am my daughter's mother. From where do you think she gets her charm?
    I smiled my answer.
    I am just the wiser one. The more cautious sage. I'd say I was your age and that we have fought many of the same battles, have shared experiences, though far apart. It just appears you have not weathered the wars like I. She rose and started to move, but seemed to hesitate, now pointing to the bar by the window, my favorite place on earth. Have a drink, Mr' Morgan. I want you to feel relaxed with me." She said.
   I started over, "Would like something?" I said without turning, trying to ejoy that beautiful view beyond the bar and think about how good I'm going to feel in a minute or so.
   "Just a cool glass of seltzer, please." She paused. "How can I take advantage of you if I'm drinking?"
   I turned to see an interesting smile on her face. I took a sip of my scotch as I walked. By the time I placed her drink on the desk and took my seat I was feeling human again.
   "Ok, lets go." i was focused. "I know your company had nothing to do with the explosion, but maybe somebody within your company, or perhaps even Bernard was behind it. It was definitely not an accident, and from the little I have been told it was very efficient. Professional."While I was talking Sanna laid an assortment of legal documents in front of me. "I think you, and I  wouldn't be surprised of if Papa Antonio wasn't already ding it, should dig a little deeper into your company" She nodded in away that told me she got my meaning.
    I quicly went through the papers which I had reveiwed in my room over the past two days and told what I had piked up and where I had some international law concerns. Her eyebrows raised a bit,
    "I am impressed Mr. Jeffery Morgan".
    I nodded thanks and asked. ernesto seems quiet, and he is the heri apparent to all of this..."
     Sanna interrupted, "H is officially, and he is always quiet," She looked down at the papers . That was the end of the discussion, and I found that, more than interesting.
    Now she was serious. making notes on her ste of documents, not looking up, not emoting at all. I just sat and wathed, sipping on my nector. "Of course," now she broke the silence, "you and I will have a celebratory lunch where I will try to charm you like my daughter." With that, the door opened and the assistant walked in. Mr' Morgan will be leaving, but make reservations at Santa Chiara. I looked back, and she looked into my heart.

The Answer:
Bernie Sahlins was the founder of the great comedy club -- Second City of Chiago. He died yesterday and he will be mourned. He discovered and sent away on to star careers Joan Rivers, George Wendt, Mike Nichols Elaine May, Bill Murray, Dan Ackroid, Gilda Radnor, John Belushi and many, many more.  Too often in this world of ours, we miss the real genius behind what we see. He invented "Topical sketch comedy" the formula upon which SNL was built. George Wendt describes Sahlins as, "...a Mischievous imp, with the mind of Bertrand Russell.

I write with a little help from my friends:

No comments:

Post a Comment