Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Bikinis and Quakes.

Today's Tids Issue 2,112
Opening Stuff:

“Peace in the Middle East? Hah!” Department:
In the latest example of seriously brain dead leaders in the volatile Iran, a leading cleric yesterday posited that promiscuous woman cause earthquakes. His actual words -- really, honest -- were: “…many women who do not dress modestly…lead young men astray, corrupt their chastity and spread adultery in society, which consequently increases earthquakes.” Has Pat Robertson moved to Iran?

Of course then you have the panicky Malicki calling for a vote recount after he had lost his election bid to Allawi. If that vote is overturned, expect more mayhem of the worst kind. Peace? Hah!


Wall Street seems less worried about Goldman than about which other Bankers may be on the Fed hit list. As one stock analyst said: “There’s never just one cockroach”.

The Question:
In light of the Vatican shenanigans lately, I’m reminded of a Mark Twain quote: “The church is always trying to get other people to reform; it might not be a bad idea to reform itself a little, by way of example.” In honor of the 11th Anniversary of the great author’s de books.ath, name five of his best

The Headlines:
--Arizona Passes Tough Law That Ramp Up States Ability To Curtail Illegal Immigrant Activity.
--North Winds Blowing Volcanic Ash Back Over Britain.
--Goldman Reports $3.3 Billion First Quarter Earnings; Dem Senators Using Goldman Case To reinforce Their Drive For Passage Of Tough Walls Street Regs.
-- Strong Showing for First Quarter Earnings Reports; Market Expecting Health Jolt From Rosy Reports.
--Iraqi Authorities Verify The Killing Of Two al-Qaida Leaders.

Back to More Stuff:

Outrageous Headline of the Day Department:
“Are school lunches a national security threat?” This was based on some military officers observations that it’s harder to train overweight young people.

I was sitting in a parking lot waiting and watching people. I noticed a bunch of teens going into TJ Maxx; the boys following the girls and looking very bored. And trying to look tough and cool. Which must be hard to do these days having chosen to dress like dorks.

Speaking of male dress, the new word on 34th street is “Retrosexual”. And, believe it or not it is a movement back to fashion that makes men look like men. With men’s hair cuts from barbers instead of stylists. With suits and shoes form the late fifties. I’d better check my closet. Get ready to look decent again. Must be a Tea Party thing.

We read about the brave men who climb Everest. We weep with horror at the tragedies of those who were left to die. But, always, the Sherpa guides are there with these adventurers, just doing their job helping them up and getting them down. And now the Nepalese government is asking the Sherpa guides to clean up the mountain – remove the 300 bodies left there; pick up the tons of trash marring the mountain top. Like…Oh say…sending a team of maintenance workers out each evening to clean up Disneyland!

How come most all of the so-called “cradles of humankind” have barely progressed much beyond their cultures of 3-4,000 years ago?

Schubert’s 9th Symphony is often labeled by knowledgeable experts as “Schubert’s Great 9th.” Frankly, this absolute neophyte has to disagree. It is almost great. But I have always felt that the ending just doesn’t live up to the accolade. It has the potential to get there. It’s an emotional thing for me. And my fantasy is to know more about music to help a symphony get there some day.

Through the Same Eyes: Chapter 66 continues. –After what seemed like a minute but really only seconds, he looked at me and smiled, “Showers make you look more beautiful than a morning sunrise.” Then he hugged me. But this moment even after a most intense sexual romp, it didn’t feel like a loving hug. Not like it had always felt before. Something new has been inserted in between. Now in this embrace even as I feel the warmth between us growing, I wasn’t thinking of the purity of my guiltless feelings for him. I am not disregarding as I have for months my innocent family – Paul, Jax, Jill – loving me, truly without reservations. Loving me for the entire world to see. If I hadn’t come to this bathroom, would I have ever been able to break the bonds of my captivity? I released my arms from around him and pushed my hands up between our chests. “I have to go home now.” I said quietly. I could barely hear myself.
“If you must,” He countered with a tender appearing smile. Now looking into his eyes I was unsure of what I was seeing. I walked down to the living room, He held my hand as he followed. We didn’t speak. Now I wondered what he was thinking. I saw my clothes strewn upon the furniture and floor. And I momentarily remembered the feelings of it all. The wonderful exciting feelings.
“Wow” I heard him exaggerate, “We must have been crazy in love!” I turned and smiled. And I actually felt my body responding. Could I ever break away from his control? .

Not that I’m a cynic or anything, but that Fed prosecution of Goldman announcement just had to be timed to aid passage of the Wall Street Reg bill. The best regulation is to take away any and all bailout cushions.

Never known to miss a chance to attach his name to a consumer controversy and insert big government into our lives, Slick Charles Schumer has proposed the passage of a bill that would ban airlines from charging for carry-on luggage. Hey Charlie, did you ever hear about the American free enterprise economy that progressed very well with out enacted laws. Have you ever heard of the law of competitive equalization?

The Answer:
Five of his best known novels were written while he lived in Hartford Ct: Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Prince and the Pauper, Life on the Mississippi, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthurs Court. You would also be “write” if you thought of A Tramp Abroad, Captain Stormfield’s Visit to Heaven, Roughing It and The Tragedy of Puddinhead Wilson. Personally, I thought Will Rogers was funnier

A Modest Ending:

Every time I read about a climber summiting Everest, I always think if the faceless Sherpa who helped him and several before him to the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment