Today's Tids Issue 2,760
Opening Stuff:
 
After using profanity, Helen Keller's mother made her daughter wash her hands with soap.

I was walking around town yesterday. I noticed on the sidewalks in some of the old neighborhoods of rejuvenated Victorians several of the impressive WPA ( The FDR anti-Depression Work Progress Administration) plaques nestled in the concrete. I wondered if the new Government make work programs might have brass plaques like the Stars 0n Hollywood and Vine, with that face of You-Know-Who smiling up. But then I remembered, he would not like to be trod upon.

People were quite aghast yesterday on Wall Street and the nightly news programs after it was learned that the WH econ folks released news of that horrific 4th Quarter GNP slippage. After learning that consumer and business spending were quite healthy, and the drop could be attributed to a large drop military/defense spending, I'm thinking that the ever plotting Admin released it purposely. All to prove a point that messing with spending as part of the Debt Ceiling redux, will send the economy aspiraling downward. Remember that none other than 0-man himself said, business only succeeds because of Big government. And, believe me, that maxim is part of his heart and soul.

The Question:
Double "Q" Day -- 1. "Market Watch" Who are the Ten Most valuable Actors of All Time?   2. Who is the only woman buried in the SF (Special Forces Cemetery at Fort Bragg?

The Headlines:
--Hagel Says, "Don't Judge Me By My Jewish Quote".
--Syria Warns Of "Surprise" Response To Israel Attack; Russia Condemns Jewish State.
--Charitable Giving Down.
--Cod Quotas Slashed For New England Fishermen.
--Italy's Enigmatic Berlusconi Taking Revenge On Current PM Monti; Monti Had Hounded Berlusconi Out Of Office Two Years Ago.
--FaceBook Stock Retreats After Company Earnings beat Analysts Numbers; Recent Run-up Of FB Stock Maxed Out Potential, According To Analysts.

During my heyday at that time when Superbowl parties were coming into vogue, I later found, as time went by. that I was left off of invitation lists.  It's probably because I came to watch the game and didn't mingle. Or, maybe it was because I ate all of the Doritos chips meant for the guacamole dip?

Ok -- all Fall, Thursday has been Pickin' Day. So without the Pats being part of celebration, it kinda snuck up on me. I think it has the possibility of being a great one. Flaco is much better than the "Experts" (Especially local New England Yahoo's) give him credit for. And Kapernack has proven that he has the maturity and mental toughness of QB's twice his age and NFL experience. So, I think the QB's balance out. The Coaches too. We just know which one was more irritable to the other in their growing-up days. Ray Rice and Frank Gore are different types of running backs but both are very good and big threats. The Raven Offensive line is very good, but so is the Niner seven. Believe it or not, beyond the bravado of ray Lewis, I think on balance SF has the better line backing corps and outside rush capability. Baltimore has contirved emotion on its side, but the Niners want to win as much. Both teams hit hard. The NFC was tougher than the AFC this year. I'm going with the San Francisco Forty Niners. And I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Baltimore Ravens won. It will be that close -- 23-21.

A new report about obesity from the New England Journal of Medicine essentially says that sex for adults and gym classes for kids, on average, have little or no effect on weight loss; And, you can eat all of the snacks you want.

The noise about Ray Lewis and other super star athletes taking injury heeling and performance drugs and supplements, has buried a rumor coming out of the PGA's Senior Championship league where the Commissioner Tim Finchem will announce a list of several well known players on the dietary supplement Metamucil. Say isn't so, Shoeless Joe.

The worst thing about these little warm spots in the weather is maintaining my Winter blubber.

Also, the tremor you hear when warmth overtakes Winter cold for a few days is the collective beating of the excitable environmentalist's pro warming hearts.

Sometimes during the morning when I begin to get tired from typing this mess, I look for shorter words and abbreviations. How lazy is that!

The government is always releasing unclaimed money reports. TV reports show piles of paper money just sitting there ready for the taking. After a momentary spike in blood pressure and heart rate, I remember that I have spent everything I have seen.

I loved watching the Boston Celtics last night.

I also liked the premiere of "The Americans". Has a nice reality to it, contradicts little, all leading to a very plausible story line. In vase you aren't familiar with it, It's about a regular ole' family in Washington DC where mom and dad are Russian spies during the Reagan Admin Cold War Years. Dad is weakening thinking it's time to cash in and become a defector. The wife is a tough no nonsense Russian Patriot.

The Conscience: Chapter 14 Continues.
   After giving me a quickie course on the Upscale Yacht building industry, the players and the problems, Jason was  now telling me that he was confused about this feud. He always liked the Bagliettos, and admired their company even though a competitor to the mighty Bernard Yachts. He told me that a coldness had crept into their relationship, that had at one time been quite cooperative. He and Wu both sensed the changed and figured, that maybe they had pushed too far without knowing it. "Italians are little more emotional than Southern Wasps, and resolute Asians" he said. He laughed. He enjoyed racial ethnic epithets. They were part of his soul, he once told me "I always felt when we walked out of meetings we would have with them about sharing technology or for some work on the industry in general, that everything was copacetic. That's why I told you earlier not to get to complacent about Angelica."
  "I have taken that to heart," I replied under his monologue, knowing he probably didn't hear it. 
   "Don't let her good looks and youthful age fool you. She's as smart as they come. Maybe sharper than all of us" Smarter than this old sot? I doubt it, I laughed to myself. After some more conversation, we hung up. It was good though. I felt more comfortable being a part of whatever is going on. I headed over to the booze bar to see what more I could drink tonight. I deserve a little celebration. If I survive the night, I may walk down to the docks tomorrow and see what I can learn about Bagleitto Panfilos Building #2.

The Answer:
1. All of the actors are listed becasue of their inflation adjusted gross take in career efforts. #10 is John Travolta. 9. Clint Eastwood 8. Morgan Freeman 7. Sean Connery 6. Dustin Hoffman 5. Tom Cruise 4. Robin Williams 3. Eddie Murphy 2. Harrison Ford. And, Number one is Tom Hanks! Surprising list isn't it. Rememebr this list isn't based on opinions, just raw numbers.  2. Martha Raye the great funny lady of the 30's 40's and 50's is in that Hallowed ground because of her enormous, and often brave efforts going into the most dangerous battle situations to keep troops spirits hopes high in wars from WWII to Nam. Once while in a Nam war zone where bodies were piling up hse ran to tend to the wounded and carry the dead away. One time aCaprain said to her somehwhat snidely, Miss Raye, with all of the dead mounting and battle under way, there would be no time for the show. She flipped the collor of her fatigues saying, "This means I'm a full bird colonel and surgical nurse. Now take me to your wounded." Her story is remarkable. A shiver down the spine story. Are you listening Lindsey, Brittany?

It's tough to write anything more when you read about some one who is so truly unselfish, so thoroughly giving, while critics only see the bad jokes. Martha Raye made us all laugh on TV, with her close friend Bob Hope, and we never knew what was in her heart. That amazing, gigantic heart.