Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Friday, April 12, 2013

The Lazaro Effect.


Today's Tids Issue 2,812
Opening Stuff:

Ben Carson is getting a fast education on the vast difference between truth and politics.

It isn't often that American Idol appears "above the fold", but last night was significant, where honesty won out over emotion. Lazaro at long last was voted off. He had been decidedly the worst performer for weeks, but was buoyed along by a block of obviously misinformed voters and sympathy. He represented a sad new tendency within the American culture -- it's everybody else's fault but mine. But last night eyes opened wide and said a big gigantic "no" to carrying along mediocrity for another week. Maybe Lazaro is the symbol of an America rising from the dead.

Keep your eyes open for lower priced PC's. The latest sales numbers are so bleak that shortly prices could tumble dramatically. Call Mothers Day, Christmas in May. The problem is that Mom would probably prefer a new tablet over a lower price laptop, even with rose covered covers. Now, if that Lenova "convertible goes on sale, I'm there.

The Question:
Need to get away over the weekend? What do you think, according to Travel and Liesure, would be the best ten European cities to visit.

The Headlines:
--Unexpected Dip In retail sales Has Wall Street Opening Lower.
--Kerry, Obama Denounce NK Rhetoric.
--Iowa Restricts Use Of Drones By Police; Cites Privacy Concerns.
--Starbucks To Lower Price Of Bagged Coffee.
--Bankrupt San Bernardino To Renege On Bond Debts In Favor Of Continuing Payments Into Pensions.
--Dog Killing Epidemic Growing Faster Than potatoes In Idaho.
--Religious Bombings Continue In Iraq.
--Russia Warns US Of Overstepping In Human Rights Restrictions.

At first I thought the Texas college knife wielding slasher of 14 was perhaps a gun sympathizer tying to make a point. I was happy to learn that he turned out to be a stark-raving lunatic exactly like the mad men who kill with guns. I think that might be a clue as to a solution in the mass killiing problem.

Free Lunch, Department:
It seems like I'm seeing more and more TV commercials for products ranging from motorized scooters to car windshield repair, where the main theme is "At no cost to you." As in don't worry, the government or insurance company or some other big donor in the sky will give it to you "free". Kids demand music on the internet free; adults download their movies. No body seems to get the idea that someone somewhere has to pay for all of it. Of, yeah, I forgot, the rich will pay for it. We'll just raise their taxes.

Do you know what I'm not liking today? Professional golfers bringing back white leather belts. What's next, Nehru jackets.

It looks like yesterday we may have generated a Bumper Sticker War. A resourceful reader answers yesterday's 1st Bumper Sticker of the 2016 campaign with his #2 entry: Monica Lewinski's X-Boyfriend's Wife for President.

Changing Times, Department:
Up in enigmatic Michigan, a call to that great state's Human Services Department will get you "Press 1 for English; Press 2 for Spanish; Press 3 for Arabic." Now take your Blood Pressure. It is expected that the most frequent question may be: "What kind of benefits do I get for my three wives?"

In the things we'd be aghast if we knew about it, Department, I give you one of the items in the Obama budget, with a small "b". Did you know that liquor makers get a tax break for adding flavors? In his proposed plan, The Prez is going to eliminate the break, but how did that get in there in the first place. I don't think Congress debated fully on that lobbyist add-on. For instance I would have voted for "Butterscotch in Ice Cream" tax deduction before strawberry in vodka. As we have seen in the past, "marketing" today is getting Congress to pass laws.

I only care about Cuba if we learn that Kim Jung-un has installed  nuke missiles on a launch pad in Havana.

Who last Fall would have imagined a Frozen Four Championship (That's NCAA College Hockey) game between two teams a three wood apart in Connecticut -- Yale and Quinnipiac. How about Brown and Providence College next year? Don't be surprised.

The irony of Government and Unions is that they chase away more jobs than they save.

Reading Between the Lines Movie Reviews:
--"42" is the big one this weekend. It's about Jackie Robinson's battle to overcome prejudice while keeping his batting average up. He was my hero as a 9-10 year old, and every kid wanted to steal bases like Jackie. I saw him in Ebbets field in 1947. He always lived up to his expectations and the movie lives up to the quality of his reputation. Good acting and well told story.
--I think Disconnect, about people looking for human contact in a wired world, looks like a winner. It involves several stories of lives all affected by cyber happenings. A lawyer who can't get away from his cell phone while the family suffers. A widowed cop whose kid cyber-bullies. A couple who enters a dangerous situation after their secrets are exp[osed on-line. And more. All of these strangers eventually come together.

The Conscience: Chapter 18 continues.
   After the two phone calls, I managed to nurse a martini instead of gulping it down. It was probably a bad idea as I felt agitated ridng up in the Biglietto Building elevator. I was feeling dread, but I didn't know why. As I stepped out of the elevator, I saw Angelica already in the reception room talking the amazing looking executive concierge. I was probably standing there with my lower jaw on my knees. I looked over at Angelica and felt guilty ogling Brianna the beautiful. I think I regained my composure as the boss turned and came over to plant the kiss on my cheek. It helped make up for the lack of alcohol.
   "My parents will be in shortly. They are anxious to meet you. Especially mother. She must have heard of the "Bello Americano". She looked me up and doiwn, smiled approvingly in a sarcastic type of manner and turned. "Today at lunch we will get to the meat of this negotiation. Would you like a drink before they arrive. I said yes at "D-R".
  I was enjoying the mini-rush after two sips when a door in the panelled wall behind Angelica's desk burst open and in walked her mother, followed by papa. Her mother's dark eyes bore into my soul.  She looked like she was reading my inner life. She didn't throw up so she hadn't reached the bad parts. The parents came around either side of the desk, and greeted my warmly with handshakes. "So nice to meet you Mr. Morgan." It was warm and friendly. I was surprised.

The Answer:
Number one is Rome. While there take in  the comedy show in the Federal Office Buildings.The rest in order are Florence, Istanbul, Prague, Venice, Paris, Barcelona, Saltzburg, Vienna and Krakow. I'd probably pick, Vienna, Saltzburg, Prague and Barcelona.

Good news, Carnival Cruise has a Boston to Venice Special, $500 and a auxiliary generator in the bath room. Any takers?

Have terrific weekend wherever you go. See you Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment