Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

O-K-L-A-H-O-M-A!


Today's Tids Issue 2,839
Opening Stuff:
A month ago we were all Bostonians. Today we are Oklahomans, "Where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains,/ Where the wavin' wheat, / can sure smell sweet. / when the wind comes right behind the rain...That's what the song says, "When the wind, those go awful killing winds come right behind the rain. People will mourn. People will cry and feel despair. In the spirit of those ancestors riding in rickety rugged sooners to that land, that land so grand, and like those hardy souls before the people will feel the heartaches of nothingness, and will begin to take control again of their lives. They will rebuild, because the toughness of Oklahomans runs deep. In a year, they will mourn again, they will remember the fright but they will also look around and say Okla-homa, Ok.

It's hard to write about something you have not felt. You can't imagine the depth of the hurt that with in seconds infected the bodies and minds of a group of people, far away; far away but just like you and me. You can weep for them, but you'll never weep the tears they weep.

Everybody but opposing political media strategists wants the President to step in and do the right thing.

The Question:
One of the finest of boyhood thrills from the 50's was reading about the great trio from Detroit. Who were they? Hint: Ice.

The Headlines:
--Oklahoma Looks For Hope.
--More Survivors Being Pulled From Devastation Than Originally Thought; New Death Toll Reduced To 24, 9 Children.
--Stock Markets Appear Ok For Today.
--Congress People Use Tragedy of Oklahoman's For Political Gain.
--Costly Immigration Reform Bill Moving Steadily Through Congress.
--Syria, Israel Exchange Fire At Golan Heights; Hezbollah Increasing In numbers Among Syria Rebs
--Dem Baucus Jumps I To IRS Investigation.
--Jamie Dimon Prevails In Morgan Split Vote; Stock Rises.

With the plight of the Oklahoma devastated citizens still a fog of disbelief and passion to most, East Side RI Liberal Dunderhead US Senator Sheldon Whitehouse stepped forward upon the floor of the US Capitol to blame the tornado on the Republicans.

A reader sends in the quote of the week, this from the logical mind of Benjamin Franklin: "He that is good at making excuses, is seldom good for anything else."

The escalation of damage from natural events can be summed up with the new reality, more people are hearing the tree fall in the forest.

The Voice, Department:
Michelle is becoming one of my favorites. She's a little unusual, somewhat kooky, but she delivers. I look forward to her presence as I do The Swon Bros, Judith Hill and Sarah Simmons. Last night Judith let me down and Sarah was just a little too much for me. That's why the the threesome I call the quiet singers, Danielle, Holly and Amber are sneaking up on me and perhaps the public too. Chris is a great talent, to me, even though I'm not a big R&B Fan. Sasha is good but has a problem standing out. Josiah is the girls favorite and will probably hang in there by his dimples. I was surprised at his guitar, a good addition to a performer who could have been labeled good face no talent. I kind of liked his little ditty last night, even thought the judges slammed it. Who leaves tonight? I'm thinking Sasha, actually quite good last night, or perhaps the aforementioned quiet one Holly, a pleasant singer who doesn't reach out well to the voters.Voter surprise.

Whatever happened to "Do Not Call", Department:
Ok...who did it! Which one of you readers referred me to the Medical Alert Systems corporation. They're the folks who make the "I've fallen and I can't get up" product. Have the Tids gone down hill that fast? I may trip over a word or two every once in a while, but I'm not down for the count.

Most of the RI'ers I know thought that Director of Education Dorothy Gist was one of the best things in recent years to have happened to this state. Now the teachers want to  get rid of her. Is it the individual teachers or is it the union leadership that promoting this distaste for a woman who is promoting higher standards for learning. This in a state next to Massachusetts with demographics similar to RI that's #1 in education in the nation. As are by the way four other NE States. ri is also among the top spenders of money for Education, Yet we are ranked in some polls at the bottom of the heap and in others in at best the last third. Yet the Union administered poll says that the teachers get rid of this woman fighting for a better out come for the dollars spent. The reason why I am skeptic of the poll is because the teachers here that I have seen and met want better results for their kids too. Si why the intense anger? that is the mystery. Oh, did I mention that Unions are involved here.

The Conscience: Chapter 21 continues.
   I was feeling better after recirculating some  of my life's tonic. I ordered another, and then looked around for a reaction from my hosts. There was none. I figure they may have heard of my favorite pastime. So, why, I'm thinking, is this drunk sitting at this table? And who's the impressive looking Alabaman with Antonio? Is that a coincidence. I've never heard of a Mobile-Genoa connection.
    Oops, I shouldn't have said Mobile. I sat gazing, turning to look out the window beyond the Antonio and Washington. Clearing my head from demons not invited to this lunch. "So, I finally said, turning back to the family now chatting between themselves, looking directly into Sanna's eyes. Who is that man with your father-in-law? I mean I know his name, but who is he?
   I think I took them by surprise. Wait til they hear my next question. "He is the associate of a great man who has been a big financial supporter of Biglietto. His boss, James Smith, is a very rich man, and Milton is his right hand associate and closest friend. We see him here often, and even at times Mr. Smith. We like them and trust them. There are no mysteries there Mr. Morgan."
    I smiled, "You can call me Jeff." How trite was that cliched response. "So, are they involved in this merger?" They are to a degree. We have much resources of our own, and we use outside sources carefully, and cautiously."
     "Wise move, I think." I watched her. Something was drawing me to her. She was a beautiful woman and more than that, had an openness which seemed to be calling me in for a visit. I suddenly looked at Angelica feeling guilty. Her face said nothing in return.
     "I", that felt like a stammering "I", so I slowed the pace of my speaking. I have one question important to me, and maybe relevant to everything you are trying to accomplish." I think I set the stage well, because it was obvious I had their attention. "Why"," I paused, "Do you think that Jason Montgomery hired a reprobate alcoholic marine law expert at a large sum of money to come over here to guide home a project that seemed well under control?

The Question:
The trio of hockey players -- Ted Lindsay, Gordie Howe and Sid Abel were called the Production Line, and they traumatized the rest of the league. Along with super offensive defense-man Red Kelley they raced to the 1950 Stanley Cup behind the Goal Tending of Harry Lumley. Interestingly, Lumley was great but up and coming Terry Sawchuck was so good that Lumley was was traded after the cup win over the Rangers. In that playoff run Gordie Howe received a head injury that almost killed him. He manged to get out of the hospital in time for the Cup celebration and continued playing through the 80's! Sorry for the narrow "Q" today, but every once in a while you have to dive into your selective memories. Back with cultural glitz tomorrow.

And speaking of the Fifties, how about the Oklahoma Sooners and their 47 game consecutive win streak. Okies are winners. Okla-homa...Yeeow!

No comments:

Post a Comment