Today's Tids Issue 2,959
Opening Stuff:

Love resides in deep within hearts, often irrationally. True love is not connected to the mind. It can't be because it is so pure; unfiltered feelings that have no explanation, but are firmly there, beautifully consuming the soul. Nobody ever has to ask the Question, "Am I in love?", because the heart will tell you. Love is just one of the most inexplicable, magnificent wonders of humanhood. Savor it.

Postscript to yesterday's celebration of bravery:

All of you, who may not be able to comprehend what is going on in NFL locker rooms, should rent any of the "Jackass" movies, readily available and laughed at by the teens of America. Outrageous behavior is becoming the new culture norm  -- at least by Hollywood standards.

The Question:
A couple of days ago I commented on the election of Boston's new "All Union, All the time: Mayor Marty Walsh. The new list of the Ten Top Cities  with pension liability shortfalls is out, and Boston is 7th worst with only 60% of funding. Name the rest of the Top Ten Worst. Bonus: Name the Top Robert Redford films.

The Headlines:
--Philippine Death Tolls Climbs; Living Plea For Assistance; US, Britain War Ships Steaming Towards Islands With Aid.
--China Says It Is On Track To Have Market Activities Play Bigger, More Decisive Role In Economy By 2020.
--Poll: NBC -- The Hill - 44%; The Mountain - 34%; Before This, Experts Had Said Christie Best Bet To Beat Former Rose Law Firm Employee Adept At Losing Records.
--Supreme Court Refuses To Hear Case That Struck Down Oklahoma Law Designed To Reduce Abortions; This Is Second Time In Weeks That USSC Upheld Lower Court Decisions That Would Negate Oklahoma Anti-Abortion Laws.
--Fed's Richard Fisher Warns WS That QE will Stop Someday.

They say the the Talent on The Voice this year is very good, but I just don't find myself being that well entertained. Maybe I'm just too old to understand the new. For me, the best performances were Jacquie Lee, Matthew Schuler, Jonny Gray, Kat Robichaud. James Wolpert, Cole Vosbury and Will Champlin. Tessane Chin is still a favorite of the Judges and voters as is Austin Jenckes. Everybody likes Caroline Pennell, but she needs a turn-around from sweetness sameness. She has the talent. The enigmas, in terms of who stays or goes are two of the most talented singers of all, Ray Boudreeaux and Josh Logan. In fact I think that Josh could be one of the 2 or 3 frontrunners, if his style appealed to a broader audience. Ray may be one of the best pure singers on the stage, but he wasn't great last night. According to the pollsters and critics the three with the best chance of leaving are Ray, Josh, Jonny, and some are saying Tessanne.

We had the Greatest Generation in the forties. Yesterday somebody told me that he believed we now live in the "I Got Mine" Generation". Frankly, I think we are moving into the "I ain't gonna wait", generation.

A brand new AP Investigation shows that President Obama's obsession with corn for gasoline has lead to the destruction of 5 Million acres of land set aside for conservation -- bigger than the combined acreage of Yellowstone, Everglades and Yosemite National Parks. Farmers scrambling at the constant urging of the "O" Admin may have produced the biggest assault on the enviroment in decaades. Wetlands were filled, pristine prairies plowed unlocked massive doses of carbon dioxide and sprayers doused the rivers with billions of pounds of fertilizer. And besides all of that devastation for "Green" sake, the price of Butter Popcorn went up!! Beware of panaceas.

Do you sense that some day the criminals will take over the world. In Mexico it's an irrefutable fact.

There's no truth to the rumor that the Canadian Government was proposing that all allies leave the Middle East to fight the Cartels in Mexico, until the Mayor of Toronto called his legislature pals to squash it.

The Conscience: Chapter 28 Continues.
(If you want to know what is going on, drop me a note and I'll bring you up to date.)
   "So you want to know about Sanna," Washington started. "You have learned a lot in your brief stay," (I didn't tell him how intimate my knowledge was.) because you zeroed in on the biggest mystery about Biglietto. She is amazing and incredibly eccentric, bizarre at the same time. When I'm with her I never let down my guard. She's an Italian with American instincts." What the  hell does that mean, I thought. "And nothing really happens at the company unless she says it will happen." he breathed in deeply. If Anthony or Angelica says this is what we will do, I always wait for the imprimatur from the beautiful intriguing Sanna. James and I have significant power in that company, which would be all encompassing in all companies without Sanna. She is that intimating."
   I let the words lay there. It had become my meeting, and it became obvious that nobody would talk or shift topics until I said something. Hey, I'm Sanna!. Again I smiled at my own brilliant wit, and noticed that James was shaking his head yes, keep going. "Thanks for that, Milton, because Sanna is an enigma to me." I felt my groin react to the word Sanna. I looked down. I was going to ask about the drug boat business, but I decided to save that for my private talk to James. As I stood to suggest that we continue to talk at lunch, I noticed Jason now glaring at me starting to say something. It was surely the drug problem. So I glared back even more intensely and gave him a cease and desist hand signal. I'm sure the boss hated that, but he acquiesced and joined in the laughter of a group of execs heading out for rich food and hard booze. James came over and squeezed my forearm. An alliance had been formed.

If you can't get your hands around the concept of "Bitcoin", "Ripple" may make more sense. No, it isn't cheap wine, it is a virtual payment system with real value. I'm not going to try to explain virtual money, because I'm already getting a headache after just three short sentences. Needless to say, virtual cash will become reality, simply because of the new stuff we never thought had a chance that made billionaires overnight of the innovators, are common in the new culture, society that isn't ours. We live in the never say never world now. So, keep Ripple in the corner of your eye. It could be a contender. Note: Ripple just recieved $3.5 Mil in investment. http://finance.yahoo.com/news/rush-coin-virtual-money-real-211753303.html

The Answer:
The taxpayer will get a glimpse of Walsh's true colors as he tries to tackle the shortfall. Typically, the big cities cut social services to compensate for lagging pension funding. So, in fairly liberal Boston the reaction should be interesting, if Biden's sorta pal gives the loot to the guys who got him elected. The worst, with only 24% funding is Charleston, the one in the land of beautiful people, West Virginia. After that we have Omaha, Portland Or, Chicago (Duh), Little Rock Ark, Wilmington Del, Boston, Atlanta, Manchester NH and New Orleans. The Pew Study also found that almost more startling was the number of cities astonishingly unprepared to fund health benefit obligations! Bonus: I couldn't leave you without a fun Q, if you think RR is fun. Whether or not you are distasteful of his politics, he has made some terrific movies. Number one is Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. That is followed by Downhill Racer, Tell Them Willie Boy is Here, The Candidate, The Sting, Three days of the Condor (My favorite), The Great Waldo Pepper, All the Presidents Men The Natural Another Favorite) and as Director of Quiz Show.

A knowledgeable Tids Watcher suggests we add to our musical offerings with this Heart version of Stairway to Heaven sung at the Kennedy Center Awards to honor Led Zeppelin.
http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2012/12/27/heart-plays-led-zeppelins-stairway-to-heaven-makes-robert-plant-cry-video/