Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Lost in the Fog.

Today's Tids 2,999
Opening Stuff:

A friend gave me a book last night, "Figures of Speech". I thought at first it might be a pictorial review of shapely actresses accepting Oscars. But, it appears it will help me with jauntier writing for your more pleasurable reading! As they say, win, win. Or, is it winsome? Perhaps...winsome, losesome!

Excuse me for being crotchety, but when I watch a parade I want to see marching bands and not pop stars. When I want Pop stars, I go to YouTube.

If you can get Americans to pay up to $700 a ticket to sit in a 0-15 degree blizzard to watch a hockey game in the giant Michigan stadium from a seat where it is impossible to see the puck, and difficult to see the players, then you can get them to do anything. And, that is a problem.

The Question:
Six head coaches of the final 12 NFL playoff teams this year have taken teams to Superbowls. Name them.

The Headlines:
--DOW Down Nearly 115 At Noon On First Day Of Trading Year.
--All Passengers Confirmed Rescued From Antarctic Icebound Ship; Grandchildren Expected To be Regaled With Icy Tales For Years To Come.
--US Manufacturing Up In December; Orders And Hiring Ticking Up; Manufacturing Also Up Sharply In Britain, Greece, Spain, Germany, And Asia/China.
--Explosions Kill In Southern Beirut.
--Northeast Ready For Bitter Cold And Plenty Of Snow.
--Lines Are Long As Retail Weed Ops Open In Colorado; Early Prices For Mind Relaxant Soar To $500/Ounce.
--AP-NORC Poll Says 70% Of Americans Do Not Think US Government Can Make Progress On Tough Problems; A Majority Feel They Can Run Government Better Than People In Washington; Americans Have More Faith In Local And State Governments; Health Mess, Jobs And Economy Major Concerns Of Citizens; Media Inspired Problems, Gay Rights, Abortion, Domestic Spying, Concern Of Less Than 3% Of People.
--NYT Deems Snowden's Actions Justified; Urges His Return And Light Punishment.

It may be  a good idea to keep an eye on super liberal Bill De Blasio, new Mayor of NYC. He is one of those narrow thinkers who probably will not be able to see anything from the other side, or if he does will bury it -- your baisc intolerant progressive.  Of course the NYC sheep and media elite will love him, until the place starts falling apart. My fingers are poised over my keys on this one.

Play-Off Pickin' Time, Department:
We ended the regular season with a mediocre 164-94 so now on to the serious stuff! KC has become an enigma, and the Experts are falling bakc in love with Indy. I'm picking KC. I admire the Chargers, but I like the strong Cinncy defense at home. NO has been weak on the road. I like Philly, but I'm not sure about their flaws. Oh hell, I'm picking the Iggles. Aaron is back and it will be too cold for the Niners in Green Bay. Basically I picked all the teams I like to root for.

It appears that the astronauts walking in space made some very efficient repairs to the space station in two danger packed days. It also appears that Shawn White's new "Half Roll" is bigger news.

Let's face it, you have to laugh at a bunch of weather scientists trapped in growing ice after a mission to Antarctica, where it is now summer, to measure their predicted thinning of the ice pack. I'm not saying that this incident disproves global warming or nothin', but it is laugh out loud funny when you think of the irony.

So is $500/ounce Marijuana, like, single malt pot?

The 12 worst Supermarkets In USA are #12 - Stop & Shop (New England), Acme (Pilly), Ralphs (SoCal), Pick'n Save (Wisc), Food Lion (Middle Atlantic),  Weis (Pa, WV, Md, NY, NJ), Tops (NY, Pa), Jewel Osco (Ill, Ia, In), A&P (East - Ct to Md), Shaws (NE), Walmart SuperStore (National) and Pathmark (Middle Atlantic). I shop mainly in Stop&Shop and Shaws, and have no problems. Several of the low scorers have been associated with bankruptcies or changing maangement, so I imagine consumers could be confused. My guiess is that the margin of difference between the highest and lowest is not significant to daily happiness. There are also many new smaller chains with elaborate "To Go" prepared food operations which may blind shoppers to the effectiveness of basic services of older chains. I'm finding that lists in general are really not that helpful because of the possible bias the list compilers, and because the margin of difference between best and worst is often somewhat insignificant. 

The Conscience: Chapter 32.
     James Smith called me the next day, to thank me and Angelica, and to invite me and Evvy to his home for dinner. He told me he would have taken us to an expensive restaurant, but his chefs are better, and the service can't be beaten. I was surprised he asked that Evvy join me, but then who am I to question the great James Smith.
    I said "Great,' clicked off and walked into the closest bar thinking about Smith's call, ordered a shot of scotch and a beer, and dialed Angelica.
     "Hello Mr. Morgan". That always made me smile. I downed the scotch and sipped the beer. Actually, when I ordered it, I was going to sit and look at it to help improve my resistance. After about ten seconds, I figured I wasn't ready yet.
      "I guess we done something good, Angelica." I quickly explained how after we told him about the boys, Smith had called his RI plant management and told them of a possible plot involving two heavy set creepy looking creatures. The Manager had said they weren't hard to spot, and they were easy to nab. They found a lot of bomb making materials, which would have probably killed 30 or 40 good people and wiped the engine plant off the planet..and may have ruined a couple of other businesses.. Angelica piped in with happy noises as I spoke. She was, concerned though when I told her that these guys admitted to being part of her mother's covert operations. I took another sip of beer.
     "What should I do, Jeff?" I liked the way she said Jeff, too.
     I was smiling as I answered and told her of my upcoming dinner with Smith in two days. "Hang on."
     "To what?" She loved to kid me about my use of slang expressions. I laughed and she did too.
     "Wait til I meet Smith. It should be helpful to both of us and probably your Grandfather. Your mother is probably worriedn ow, that is if she ever worries about anything." I paused and then emphacised, "Be careful around her. Don't stare, but just be your own regular special self."
      She talked for a moment about her discomfort, and how she was torn with respect to dear old Mom. We did our "Ciao" thing and I downed my beer and ran to a taxi to the airport. I was worried about Angelica. I wish I was seeing James sooner.

The Answer:
Most know that Bill Belichick brought his teams to five Superbowls. And certainly most know that Jim (Or, is it John) Harbaugh brought SF to the SB last year. Of course Mike McCarthy won it with Green Bay a couple of years ago. Sean Peytin is also another recent SB winner. The other two were John Fox of Denver who surprised the world bringing Carolina to the big party only to see the Pats win in the waning moments, and Andy Ried who was just nipped by the Pats. Don't ya love nostalgia?

The rush of negative activity in the Stock Marktets this morn is a pretty good reminder that the Christmas/New Years vacation is over.

1!

No comments:

Post a Comment