Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Saturday, April 26, 2014

All that jibe.

Today's Tids Issue 3,079
Opening Stuff:
 
One lonely sailboat sits in the harbor. A frosty morn, ice dripping from frozen bowlines. Serenity. Perfect peace, with only the hypnotic lapping of quiet ripples at the water line. There is no scene that is better at luffing my mind. Memories of twilight in a peaceful cove; glimmering reflections off a glassy surface. The morning nip in the air. The anticipation of roaring seas to come, beating to windward; running downwind to home. I see it all in this frosty boat nestled in a cold spring harbor. Just standing there.  Dreaming
 
Today is one of those great windblown mornings where pushing open a door is like going to a gym
 
So, did you hear about the guy who used all of his money in his hedge fund to pay for new landscaping?
 
The Question:
The midsize SUV has become a popular car for many demographics. What are considered the Top Ten for 2014? Bonus: One major guitar manufacturers is closing it’s Connecticut factory. Name it and five other Guitar manufacturers. And 10 iconic guitars of great musicians.
 
The Headlines:
--Afghan Hospital Security Guard Kills Three US Doctors.
--Weekly New Jobless Claims Jump By 24,000 To 329,000.
--New Russian Exercises Scaring Markets This Morning.
--Putin Warns Foreign Companies: “If You Leave Because Of Sanctions, Don’t Expect An Early Return.
--“O” Calls for More Sanctions; Hillary Jumps Aboard Sanction Bandwagon.
--Colorado Poll Has Rand Paul Beating Hillary 48-43.
--GM Profits Fall From $900 to $100 Million; Stock Up As Lower Number Beats Estimates; Concerns For Microsoft As Investors Await Expected Lower Revenue and Profit; FaceBook Shows Earnings Strength.
--FDA Issues Rules Banning Sale Of e-Cigs To Minors And Requiring Warning Labels.
 
You know you are going to have a problem relying on your sailing partner when he says things like, pointy end, big pole, string and rope, steering stick, big or small sail, parking hook, green slimy stuff and thingys. SOS – mayday!
 
The Apple split has energized the market. But some wise observers are looking for more creative new products and less financial engineering. The big red fruit has not excited the universe as it has in the past (Except for their loyal acolytes). Tweaking and splitting can only carry a company, once admired – no adored -- for innovation, so far.  It’s time for the big one. Was Jobs that good?
 
How about that former heart patient who is now a successful pace maker in Marathons?
 
With narrow minded nutty libs like diBlasio banning everything in sight, what this county needs is a good dose of Roger Williams enlightenment. Where did you go, Rhode Island?
 
Actually, I have figured out this rising ocean thing. Michelle O is right and the population is growing and getting heavier…and it’s the continent that is actually sinking. Ok, give me back my incandescent light bulbs and I’ll stop eating Cheetos.
 
Have you noticed that Universities clamor for “Diversity” and then build African, multi cultural, ehtnic or LGTBQ centers where the diverse can isolate themselves from the rest of the student body.
 
The news is that Bieber blew it again, praying at a Japan shrine hated by Chinese and South Koreans whose citizens of yore were raped, mutilated and killed in the wake of Japanese savagery. But, I’m betting that his publicist told him that praying would be good for his rep. So let’s give the brat a break on this one. No way he would have thought to stop and pray.
 
Several of the American Idol contestants actually sang on key last night. But CJ was worse than usual. He just has to go. It’s embarrassing to the others that he continues to stay.. Sam sings decently at times, but he is a real amateur and as dull as dishwater. Jessica woke up and won the night. Jena and Caleb were strong as usual and the talented Alex was good on one but faltered badly on another. Let’s hope the teen girls don’t vote for Sam over a more talented Alex. CJ should go. Really. It’s time. He just flat out can’t sing…with flat being the operative word.
 
There seems to be a pretty serious movement afoot in the “O” Admin to free all non-violent prisoners, mainly drug related. That sure will help fix unemployment.
 
Smokers are donning their flack jackets again as the FDA is targeting not only eCigs, but cigars, chewing tobacco, pipe tobacco and hookahs. I guess the lazy states are running out of cigarette settlement money, and the FDA is handling lawyers more fodder for class action suits.
 
The Conscience: Chapter 41
     My heart was bobbing up and down upon a rolling stomach, as I sat in small office overlooking the yard at Bernard Yacht. This was the day we had hoped to see. It didn’t look any different than any other day at the boat yard. People were coming an going and the sounds of production provided a rhythmic backdrop. Even Wu, who I now saw scurrying along with some papers in his hand, was in seemingly normal mode doing whatever new CEO’s do, and whatever he thought he should be doing for Sanna.
      But, it was different in this small room where my hands were shaking, and I felt sweat rolling cooly down my sides into little damp pools at my waistline. No, not at all business as usual as I worried about what would come, and Angelica. I didn’t see her after the meeting with Mom, And she hadn’t answered emails, phones or texts. This was not like her at all.
       I got up buoyed a bit by the memory of her smile and enthusiasm and walked over to an array of electronic equipment which displayed visuals from every section of the factory, and most importantly Jason’s office. Wouldn’t it have been nice if the system was this complete when Sanna’s thugs walked in two months ago?
     I should feel good. My life is looking up. I have bared my soul and faced my sin. My wife hasn’t run away from my truth. But the gnawing continued. I picked up a glass with about a half inch of scotch in the bottom. I poured it down and felt the soothing warmth. The hand shaking slowed, and so did my brain. I’ll work on drinking next. I think I’m ready.
 
The Answer:
Unfortunately, I have to go by the list I found, and I disagree that the Ford Flex is midsized, but alas it is # 10. The rest in ascending order are Kia Sorrento, Hyundai Santa Fe, Dodge Durango, Ford Explorer, Chevy Traverse, Honda Pilot Jeep Grand Cherokee, Nissan Pathfinder and #1 -- Toyota Highlander, I always thought of them as big SUV’s. What about the BMW X5? Frankly, I thought the list of midsized were like the BMX X3, Jeep Cherokee and other’s similar. The “Most Fun” SUV’s (Now who actually classifies this?) Mazda CX-5, Acura RDX, Nissan Juke, Toyota FJ, Range Rover Sport, Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT, Mercedes ML63 AMG, Audi SQ5, Jeep Wrangler and #1 Porsche Macan. So…who is it exactly who defines “Fun”? Bonus: Ovation owner Fender is closing the Connecticut operation. Guild guitars are also made in Conn. Other brand names are Gibson Les Paul and Startocastor (by fender). The five most famous personal guitars are 1. Jimmy Paige Gibson Les Paul  2. Angus Young Jaydee SG  3. Jimmy Hendrix Monterey Fender Stratocaster  4. Keith Richards “Micawber” Fender Telecaster   5. Jack White Airline  6. Tony Iommi “Old Boy” SG  7.  Eddie Van Halen “Frankenstrat”  8.  Brian May “Red Special”  9. Randy Rhoads Polka Dot Flying V  10. Paul McCartney Hofner Bass. Interested in the rest of the top 25 – check out http://www.antiquiet.com/lists/2013/05/top-21-most-iconic-guitars/
 
If I would spend my life at sea
Would I get tried of only me?
Would the thrill, wash away?
And loneliness consume my day.
 
It’s nice to dream, but reality always gets in the way.
 
As one insightful reader reminds us about perspective. Ham and Eggs: For the chicken it’s a day’s work; For a pig it’s a lifetime commitment,
 
See Y'all tomorrow!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment