Today's Tids Issue 3,081
Opening Stuff:
 
The Pew Research company conducted a huge survey among 40,000 people in 40 countries to get an handle on Global moral attitudes. They covered topics like Extramarital Affairs (XMA’s – sounds like a new middle age crisis sports car), gambling, homosexuality and abortion and asked that they rate them Morally acceptable, morally unacceptable or “Not a moral issue”. It’s the last one that got me. Not a moral issue is a a growing classification by more people, which seems to indicate a trend towards obfuscation of basic life and interpersonal responsibilities…or simply, a world with no rules. Enough sermonizing. Some quick results: XMA’s are overall considered morally unacceptable by the most worldwide (78%). It’s 84% in the US, where by the away Abortion is only 49%. Only 20% WW think homosexuality is acceptable. Surprising. Gambling (62%; USA 24%) is second highest after XMAs and before Homosexuality (59% WW; USA 37% -- 35% not moral issue) and Abortion on the high unacceptable scale. The most morally acceptable areas were divorce, alcohol use, premarital sex and contraceptive use. Oh, only 19% in France think abortion is morally unacceptable, which may explain their declining population…being replaced by middle easterners. There’s always something.
 
Did you ever pause to think back and wonder how “I love you, yeah, yeah, yeah…” ever launched the greatest pop music empire of all time?
 
There’s Always One, Department:
Hey, thanks everybody for your response to my call for suggestions. Many sent in some great ideas. Maybe I’ll heed you. And, maybe I won’t. That’s what cantankerous editors do. But, alas, one woman took me to task. “I’m tired of your Pap,” she started. “Let’s get out there and do the hard world. Unleash the full force of your crack editorial reporting team. I want to know what’s going on In Putin’s bedroom to cause all of this aggression. Who exactly were Barack Obama’s friends at Columbia U? Why did every possible agency in the government come down upon former RI Speaker Fox? What kind of black mail evidence does Amal Alimuddin have on George Clooney?” I’m still shaking.
 
The Question:
Name the eleven moderators (Or co-moderators) in the history of Meet the Press. Bonus: Title IX requires hat we give CBS a chance too. What was the name of Alistair Cooke’s long running TV series?
 
The Headlines:
--New Storms Roar Through South Killing Dozens.
--Gunman Wounds Six At Fed-Ex Center In Georgia; Suspect Found Dead.
--Kerry has tales Of Moscow Operatives Instructing Ukraine Separatists; New Buildings Seized In Eastern Ukraine..
--Consumer Confidence Index Drops; Obama Approval Ratings Hit New Low; Under Pressure, Kerry Backs Away From Apartheid remarks.
--Good Earnings From Merck And Cummins Have The Dow I=on the rise
--Italian Courts Release New Info On Knox Case; Say two Assailants Killed Meredith Kercher; Evidence Says That Knox And Kercher Fought That Night Over Money.
--Russia Says Europeans Should Be Ashamed At Sanctions, Doing America’s bidding.
--Homeland Security Says Do Not Use Internet Explorer.
--Advertisers Dropping LA Clipper Game Broadcasts
--Learner Lawyer Saks For Meeting With House.
 
David Gregory is apt to do or say anything to bump up the now horrendous ratings of the venerable “Meet the Press”. Where have you gone Martha Roundtree?
 
Dancin’ Department:
It was titillating Tuesday with tantalizing tangos and many lascivious latin dances empting libidos. In the end it was No no, NeNe. Of course I’m in the Dancin’ commentary because my big brave soldier friend urged me to do more on fluttering fee than The Voice. Ricky Martin was the big draw last night and loved what he saw. The anticipation of lots of bare skin was somewhat tempered by the growing list of injuries, especially Amy Purdy who had to be taken away to the hospital before she could dance. Team Toca continued to show strength coming out on top over team Vida. That’s It for now. I will learn more, but I doubt if I can really ge into tis
I don’t know feet, but I do no pipes, and the good vibes were flowing last night on the Vocie. I loved the opening with Kat Perkins, although music critics may say she sounded too much like the original Landslide by the great Stevie Nicks. Christina Grimmie was just plain great, as was to me, Audra McLaughlin. I thought the Blake Shelton school boy act sending out Adams phone number was stupid, totally unnecessary for a show full of outstanding talent. Jake, one of my favorites was a little weak, but he has a big country following, I like Josh, and he was good, but I’ve seen him better. Last week’s courageous award winner Kristen Merlin is smooth and a favorite for the top 5. Devlin got back to being Devlin which is very, very good. Sishaun was as professional as ever and Tess rocked. I was looking forward to Bria, but she didn’t quite make it with a good song choice. I think she, and often many others spend oo much time touching hands wih the audience and lose the momentum of their song. So I’m thinking that Bria, Tess and maybe Jake will be in bottom. Bria may go.
 
I could do without the tired phrase, “Give it up for (Fill in entertainer).”
 
I think the Boston-Montreal NHL series will be one of the great wars. These two have been arch enemies since the beginning of the NHL as they are both members of the original Six. This could be an all original six tourney for the Bruins, having already beaten the Wings with the possibility of meeting the Rangers for the East and Chicago for The Cup. Now if this confused league could only figure out when to start the Montreal-Boston series.
 
The Tids used to be awash in puns, but I’m having trouble finding any really good new ones. But, puns ain’t dead, as there are signs of life for the lowest form of humor on many a store front Like, “Lettuce Eat”, “The Cod Father” and Tequila Mockingbird”. Then there is “Pita Pan” (Arabs can be funny), } Amy’s Winehouse, Planet of the Grapes, “Lord of the Wings”, “Bread Pitt” and the fish and chops place, “Frying Nemo.” And who could forget “Thai Tanic” or “I feel like Crepe”!
 
If you begin to find missing letters in words here and there throughout the Tids, then I think it’s a sign that it’s time to clean the keys.
 
The Answer:
As you may have guessed, Martha Roundtree was the first to host the trendsetting show. The rest in order are Ned Brooks, Lawrence Spivak, Bill Monroe, Roger Mudd & Marvin Kalb, Marvin Kalb, Chris Wallace, Garrick Utley, Tin Russert, Tom Brokaw and Lefty Gregory..no relation to Grove, but he can toss out some wild ones...  Bonus: Cooke’s long running show on CBS was Omnibus. He also had a show on BBC which ran from 59 years  -- The American Letter. One of he funnier Archie Bunker routines involved “Alice the Cook” (Alisatir Cooke)!
 
Feelin’ real good today, maybe because I, I, I don’t worry much anymore about reality.
 
Thanks to readers who send stuff in.