Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Saturday, April 26, 2014

Everything is about leverage.

Today's Tids Issue 3072
Opening Stuff:

I look out on a spectacular morning -- sun bright, skies clear, and air crisp awakening the soul -- and I’m sad, mindful that this is the day Judas Iscariot kissed Jesus on the cheek. The skies are grayed by the inadequacies of man.
 
I heard a commercial for a hospital that said check our web site for “Wait times’ in our emergency ward! Can you stem the arterial bleeding for another hour and half?
 
In the things you never forget department, it is the smell of vinegar as I dyed my Easter eggs with my Paas coloring kit.
 
The Question:
Ok, it’s Easter week. What do you think are considered the top Christian movies of all time?
 
 
The Headlines:
--South Korean Ferry Sinks; 300 Missing, Mostly HS Students.
--Positive Tech Earnings Have Stocks Rising; Market Awaiting Yellen’s “Substantive” Remarks At Luncheon.
--Ex-Mayor Bloomberg To Spend $50 Million Combating Gun Ownership.
--Big Investor Clients Nervous About Goldman Sachs Loss Of Market Share And Fragmentation In Markets; May Trade Less; Big Company Scrambling To Retain Grip On Equity Trading Business.
--Russian Separatists Hoist Their Flag Over Troop Carrier Trucks Taken From Ukraine Military; Triumphant march Into City to Cheers of “Russia, Russia.”
--Rhouani Tells Iranians That Sanctions Are Unraveling.
 
50% of all corporate profits in America are made by a relative handful of Wall Street businesses. I could say that is one of the reasons that we are having problems with middle class wages. Companies with the good paying jobs have since the late sixties and seventies been forced to meet quarterly numbers goals, which often required the elimination of investments in core businesses. Many of these core business which were skilled manpower driven, just evaporated as new business models changed the scenarios.. Many of the country’s new core businesses are middlemen taking a cut, or services adding costs, forcing the producers to seek lower and lower wage to remain competitive. Or something like that.
 
But, waiting for the past to return is real unproductive.
 
Some of the dimmer wits in our society think that snow in spring doesn’t count. They drive their cars at 80-90 miles an hour and soon find that snow in April is as, or more slippery than snow in January. There was a rash of accidents around the area this morning…and I mean accidents that resulted rollovers. Congress is going to ban driving in Spring to protect the unprotectable.
 
One of the better choral pieces for the week is Dvorak’s Stabat Mater.
 
I was happy that Usher picked Josh Kaufman, Bria Kelly and TJ Wilkins last night as the final pieces to the final twelve on The Voice. All of his performers did well, but now after a weak rookie judging year he is getting the message of appealing to many segments. He had several very accomplished R&B singers on his team, (including Stevie Jo who was exceptional last night) which as a type typically don’t do as well when the viewers are voting. TJ is an exceptional performer and I think has the greater appeal of  his R&P singers. Josh comes close to the genre, but is unique I thought Bria was spellbinding last night, although that opinion is not shared by some music critics. People will argue about leaving off Stevie in favorite of Bira, but Usher has a better “Team” with her on it.
 
Fargo, one of my favorite all time movies was nicely rejuvenated last night in a new Fx Series.  Excellent acting by Billy Bob Thornton, Martin Freeman, Allison Tolman and Colin Hanks completely captured the spirit of this pleasantly profound scenario. The TV version replicated completely the wonderful understated quirkiness of the original. Fargo lovers won’t be disappointed. Thank you Fx for continually bringing good stuff to TV without having to buy premium channels. I could say the same for USA and AMC.
 
Movie Rental Ideas, Department.
Speaking of movie favorites, several of mine have been parallel life films, where a little incident greatly changes the outcomes of lives. Two of the best to me were “Sliding Doors” starring Gwyneth Paltrow and “Run, Lola, Run’ starring Franka Potnete. Also excellent in the same mode is “He loves me, he loves me” starring Audrey Tautou.
 
My mind really isn’t up to interpreting it this morning, but there is a little Fed Appeals Court action going on that is about questioning the IRS interpretation of who qualifies for subsidies in the ACA mess. The big media guns are focused on the Supreme Court case, but this action called Halbig vs. Sebellius may break the back of the HC Law as it revolves around dispensing billions never authorized by Congress. Stay tuned.
 
I hate statements like, “Your hot water heater may be going, but we can’t tell you when.”
 
The Conscience: Chapter 41.
“Don’t worry about a thing Mr. Morgan”. Bruno talks, I joked to myself, but I wasn’t laughing.
“Whatever you say Mr…what was your last name?” He didn’t say anything. He just moved around and took the seat where Angelica had been. That wasn’t a good sign. “What do you do with the Biglietto  company?” Nothing. He just sat like a piece of stone. No expression anywhere on his face. In fact there were no signs of laugh lines at all. I wonder what make him happy? Maybe I shouldn’t find that out. My vigilance of my current state had somehow soothed my nerves, but I didn’t tell the waitress I had stopped drinking for the New year. I ordered a scotch on the rocks. Bruno said nothing.
     “I see you too are getting along well!” I looked up and saw a smiling Sanna approaching sans Angelica.
     “You look happy.”
    “I am, because this is a celebration. Don’t you feel good about this too, Jeffery. I felt her foot touch my calf as she scooted in her chair.
     I looked over at Bruno staring and said, “Sure. I feel great and excited.” And leaned down to get my papers.
      “No,” I looked up and saw Sanna laying a portfolio on the table. “We’ll use mine. These are what we will sign. Do you understand?” Her eyes moved towards Bruno. Trying to relax myself, I imagined this twosome in bed together. It didn’t work.
       “I’m a lawyer. I have to read them” I smiled trying to look cool and collected, “That’s what lawyers do.”
       “Not today, Mr. Morgan.”
 
Reading Between the Lines Movie Reviews:
There’s a new movie out today called “Heaven is for real”. It’s based on a true story about a four year old Nebraska boy who when undergoing surgery came back out of anesthesia saying he had been in Heaven and saw Jesus and angels…and the doctor operating and his parents in the waiting room. He knew plenty of facts which he couldn’t have known, unless… The father is a minister, the sensible kind with all of the human day to day problems that even an atheist could appreciate. Colin Burpos story was #1 on the NYT list. Greg Kinnear is excellent as the father. It is well directed in an understated manner by Randall Wallace of “Secretariat and “We were Soldiers” fame.
 
The Answer:
#1 is Ben Hur. This is followed by Quo Vadis, Babette’s Feast, Jesus Of Nazareth (1977), Passion Of Christ, Passion of Joan of Arc (1928), The Chronicles of Narnia: the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, Song of Bernadette, Brother Sun and Sister Moon, Chariots of Fire and Mary, Mother of Jesus. Of course there are many, many opinions of what are the best. Some others that show up are Tender Mercies, Bells of St. Mary’s, Going my Way and Lillie’s of the Field. I have left off about five hundred other movies!
 
Missing Uehara is not the problem with the Red Sox. Or is that Euhara?
 
Here’s the Viral Vid of the day:
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment