Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

It’s tough at times to feel romantic. But it’s worth trying.

Today's Tids Issue 3,091
Opening Stuff:
 
I sit here upon our beautiful coast
Seeing the land of which I love to boast
Yet what I know is what bothers me most
Our leadership’s turning it all to burnt toast.
 
The Last time we had overvalued Tech IPOs and prospects of split after split was just before a painful crash. Everybody says it’s different now, but I get skitterish easy these days. That’s what happens when you have less time to bounce back.
 
The nightly news reported the snow storm in Colorado yesterday in a way that would suggest it as new evidence in climate change. Evidence of climate change would be if it didn’t snow in May somewhere in Colorado. I spent a summer there working in 1956 and it snowed every month but July! It’s just the way it is, and always has been, in the Rockies.
 
The Question:
Over the years The Tids have published anything that resembles a pun. Here are some opening lines of  puns all of  which long time readers have seen before. See if you can come up with the humorous rest of the sentence: 1. A will is a___ 2. Time flies like an arrow: ____ 3. A chicken crossing a road: ____ 4. If you don’t pay your exorcist____ 5. A grenade fell on a kitchen floor in France resulting in____ 6. A boiled egg ____ 7. A short fortuneteller who escaped from prison is ____ an one of my all time favorites…I wondered why the baseball kept on getting bigger____
 
The Headlines:
--Stock Futures Rising Ahead Of retail Sales report; European Stocks Set new High for Sixth Day.
--IPHone 6 Expected To Give Buyers All That They Have Been Wanting.
--US Using Aerial Reconnaissance To Locate Missing Nigerian Girls.
--German Foreign Minister To Help Broker Peace In Ukraine.
--2 Miners Trapped In West Virginia Coal Mine After Accident.
--Radio, Pop Music Icon Casey Kasem Still Missing; Super Jock Has Severe Parkinson’s.
 
Most of what is reported hysterically in the news doesn’t bother me, except things like MERs in America. Where was I? Who did I touch? I hate creepy things you can’t see.
 
It appears that donating funds to politicians just allows them to keep more of their PAC’s for vacations.
 
In addition to the fact that Michaels Sam performed miserably at the NFL combine, many coaches probably avoided him simply because of the real potential of a disruptive media circus invading practices.
 
The Voice performances were very entertaining last night as we saw a final five with a lot of talent. Even if you weren’t familiar with the songs, as it happened to be in my case, the quality and creativity of the voices never wavered. Jack Worthington to many may be the least talented of the bunch but he delivers great pure unadulterated country every time.  So here’s the deal – Josh seems to be on another level in the eyes of both critics and voters. Christina was at the level but may have confused some voters last night. Kristen has the voice to be at the lever, but falters. And Kat has been at that level, but only when singing for her life as a bottom 3 contestant. Jake usually has three or four good notes per song that are at that level, and he introduces them at the right time to keep his candidacy alive. So tonight they will vote three finalists in, two of which should be Josh and Christina. My original feeling is that Kristen Merlin will be one, although Kat was better last night. But, and this is real but, Jake has the big country block on his side and that could make him the third.
 
By the way, the bogus feud between Adam and Blake is getting real tedious real fast. It’s become the “Get-this-crap-over-real-fast” segment.
 
A dog gave birth by the side of the road and was cited for littering.
 
Hey, how about the most popular boys name being Noah! I doubt if my name Richard will be ever popular again, because new Mom’s just don’t like other kids calling their son dick! In fact my full name is Richard William Peter – hmm, dick, willie, peter. I don’t stand a chance.
 
I’m having trouble filling the Tids, because I just am tired of writing the same old things about politicians. Every time you think there is a glimmer of hope for progress, they fall back into the same old rut – they’ve got to get elected so principle and truth be damned.
 
Being the idealist I’m am, I get upset when dishonesty, irresponsibility are so enabled by hypocrisy. I still like the idea of the purity of white knights on chargers striding in to rescue beautiful maidens and people always living happily ever after. All things good still could be dominant if so many people weren’t creating excuses for uncivilized behavior.
 
Or, maybe I have it all wrong. Maybe the bleakness I see at times comes from a media focus on the negative instead of on all of the good and honest people who still dominate our society.
 
Or maybe I had nothing to say this morning and am just trying to fill space…like the media often does.
 
Maybe I should watch the Today Show or GMA before writing the Tids. You know, I have never intentionally seen any of the early morning shows. The serenity of the morning is my time.
 
The Answer:
1. A will is a dead giveaway. 2. Time flies like an arrow, fruit lies like a banana. 3. A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion. 4. If you don’t pay your exorcist you can get repossessed. 5. A grenade fell onto to a kitchen floor in France resulted in Linoleum Blownapart. 6. A boiled egg is hard to beat. 7. A short fortuneteller who escaped from prison: a small medium at large. 8. I wondered why the baseball kept on getting bigger and then it hit me. How’d you do?
 
Have a terrific day everybody.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment