Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Saturday, May 24, 2014

Of things I’ve never known, I can only pray.

Today's Tids Issue 3,099
Opening Stuff:
 
Of all the things that God helps grow, Tis the posies that steal the show; They live again upon graves of brave; Where tears are shed and flags wave; They are symbols of the life; That thrived in love before the strife.
 
Jeez, I just can’t get over the immense talent that exists all around us. Last night we went to a 7th-8th grade, choral, orchestra, band concert and sat in awe as these young musicians tackled some compelling complex music and hit high note after high note. You often walk beside these quiet, awkward, inward young people not realizing what magnificence is growing within. And, on an occasion like this you realize that perhaps the USA does have a future after politicians.
 
The Question:
Memorial Day was first called Decoration Day. After what war did the annual recognition of fallen heroes begin? In what state and when did the idea of decorating the grave of a soldier germinate? What was the first Northern state to observe Decoration Day? When did “Decoration day” officially become “Memorial day”?.
 
The Headlines:
--Friend of Admin LA Times Reports That Obama Admin Last Week Added Hundreds Of Pages Of Regulations To ObamaCare; Most Protect Insurance Companies From Loss To Give Appearance That Low Cost ACA is Working; LA Times Says Regs Designed To Fool Taxpayers; Gulp!
--Ukraine Tensions Escalate; Nato Moves Troops To Russia Boarder; Russia Warns; 16 Ukriane Troops Killed By Separatists In Renewed Fighting In East.
--Mortar Kills 21 Assad Supported Gathered In Tent For Political Rally And Fundraising.
--US General Warns Of Dangerous Escalation From China-Viet Nam Standoff.
--New Emails Show White House Eagerly Looking For Fairytale To Excuse  Their Irresponsibility In Regards To Bengahzi; Admin Spent First Hours Of Attack At YouTube Watching Anti-Muslim Video.
--New Home Sales Rise 6.4%.
--Oooooooo-Weeeeee-Ooooooo: Weird Lights With Zig-Zagging Contrails Seen Over Hawaii; Would Have been Entirely Weird If I Had Misspelled Contrails As Entrails.
--Newport Art Museum To Hold Antique Appraisal Day On June 20; Call 401-619-7277 For Details.
 
You have wonder if there is jealousy among the beautiful things growing in fields that roll from majestic mountain to contented valley. But, I think not, because the grandeur we feel when we open our eyes is all of the beauty working together as one. Maybe if in the human race it was only the love in hearts we could see, we would be united in perfection just as the flowers and trees.
 
I was in the big discount place BJ’s yesterday, arms laden with cheese flavored snacks, when the power went off. My immediate thought was that I wouldn’t be able to check out and would have to spend the long weekend roaming the aisles there. But, the power snapped back as the generators kicked in. On the way out I remarked about it pleasantly to the eager head clerk, who replied “Yes, our electricity is from generators, currently”. With that “I-know-a-pun-when-I-hear-it” twinkle in my eye, I immediately countered, “Currently?”, and burst into a smile surely expecting at least a small chuckle in return. He preceded to describe the concept of backup power! It went right over his head. Yikes! That’s when I decided I would never work at BJ’s.
 
Congrats to a good old pal of 73 years, a good friend from the old neighborhood who helped me grow. He just won the Naples (Fl) over 70 Championship! He’s the reason I never took up Tennis myself…even though I thought I was the better player, I kept losing 6-0, 6-0! Go figure. They say down there that the soil of the Naples area rumbled as my new hero, hobbled, came back time after time, often overcoming intense pain, to win, setting the stadium afire with admiring applause. Of course, people over 70 always play in pain.
 
People have backyard picnics on Memorial Day because it is just plain nutty to get on a highway.
 
Why would some news agency think that their headline today, “Obama Attacks Republicans” was news?
 
I can remember continuously drawing in the margins of my school books, guns shooting people and planes and tanks. By today’s standards I’d still be serving a life sentence. And look at me, a real killer with an indelible back mark on the psychopath part my brain.
 
“Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.”
 
The Answer:
After the Civil War, southern women in Mississippi began placing flowers on the graves of Southern and Northern soldiers alike. It is said that the idea for that arose during the war in 1961 in Virginia. Many cities claim to be the first to initiate Decoration Day – from Waterloo NY to Boalsburg Pa. But it is recognized that the first Northern State to recognize the day was Michigan in 1871. Ironton Ohio and Doylestown Pa fight continuously over which town hs the oldest continuous Memorial Day parade. What is not in dispute though, is that it is well recognized that it was the efforts of Southern women who really made Decoration day  a national event. Decoration Day became Memorial day in 1882. However, the day languished and only became popular after WWII. Let’s hope more people stop to remember than look for Tums after eating too much and wonder why they are there.
 
When you have a quiet moment this weekend, think about these fighters for freedom from the 10 deadliest US wars: Afghanistan – 2,322 Dead; Spanish-American – 2,446 Dead; Revolutionary – 4,435 Dead; Iraq – 4,486 Dead; Mexican-American – 13,283 Dead; Korean – 35,574 Dead; Vietnam – 58,220 Dead; WWI – 116,516 Dead; WWII – 405,399 Dead; Civil – 498,332 (Confed est.) Dead.
 
Amen!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment