Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Believe in your heart.

Today's Tids Issue 2,140
Opening Stuff:

Let’s hear it for thoughtful people. You know the kind of people…nice people who decided to so something nice for another human being just because it is a nice thing to do. It could be a small gesture for a husband or wife, sister or brother, lover, friend or complete stranger. Something a thoughtful person knows he or she does for someone else who may not even see it but somehow senses their life is a little better in some way. Without question, unrewarded thoughtfulness is one of the finest of human traits. Oh, did I say unrewarded? A thoughtful person always has the greatest of rewards…the goodness in their hearts.

On the other hand we have Wall Street. The losing turn-around yesterday was ascribed to “Euro Jitters”. I’m thinking that euro jitters is just the latest excuse of the day for traders who, in the face of increasing skepticism by the general public, want to justify taking profits. Remember when the market was supposed to reflect an economy 6 months down the road?

Diet books are successful because they reach a wide audience.

The Question:
Name the four terms used to define the severity of a declining stock market. And what are the percent of decline represented by each? Bonus Question: The Tilapia has become ubiquitous in seafood counters everywhere. What exactly is a tilapia?

The Headlines:
--Oil Leak Plugged.
--Stocks Rise As Large Debt Holder China Shows Confidence In Europe.
--Economic Rebound Slowed Last Quarter.
--9th Chinese IPhone assembly Line Worker Jumps to Suicide In Protest Of Bad Working Conditions At Job’s Factory.
--NK Rips Up Military Agreements With SK.
--Many States Set To Ban “Silly Bandz” In Schools; Child Bracelets Said To be disruptive.

Back to More Stuff:

The energetic BoSox (Chrystal Bowersox) overwhelmed the retiring DeWyze during last night’s AI finale. I will say that week after week leading up to the final choice, Lee D was consistently solid. But in this observers eyes BoSox grew each week and during the final two shows when the rubber meets the road, she was the power. I would say also after watching last night’s extravaganza that the finals could easily have been Bosox and Casey…and even Siobhan who was strong and professional. DeWyze may have been the fifth best performer on that stage last night. It’s all about the demographics of the voters. Plain and simple. He’s looked at as a “Heartthrob”. Why? I have no idea.

“Hang on Sloopy” by The McCoys is still one of those songs that gets my juices aflowin’.

How come it takes a recession to get the roads fixed? I and all others have been paying taxes for our entire working lives and one of the things most think we should be getting is decent roads. It couldn’t be that the government officials are squandering our money? Nah!

I like to read those little columns entitled something like “On This Date in History”. I have noticed of late that many of the most exciting accomplishments occurred in 1937. Kudos to those born in that year.

Writing handwritten notes on the steering wheel while driving is much more dangerous than texting. I cringe at the many little acts of stupidity of my life time which today have been declared criminal acts.

I don’t think the majority of hard working Americans ask for much from their taxes. Good roads, garbage pick-up, police, fire and education. And on the national side defense and…and…and…jeez, I don’t know what else we need from the Feds.

Through the Same Eyes: Chapter 74 continues. Just as I started to say Hi to our own smiling receptionist, Bill came around the corner. His eyes reflected the mood of the environment I felt as he elevator doors opened. Molly said “It is so nice to see you back here Mrs. Durham. I wish it was a happier day.”
“Why? What happened,” I started to ask. But, Bill interrupted and said let’s go to your office. I made a funny grimace at Molly and she actually smiled a little more cheerily.
Bill wasn’t so cheery. In fact Bill was not in the slightest like the boy I promoted two months ago. I placed my laptop next to the desk, looked around to see that everything seemed to be the way I left it. That was comforting. I always look for comfort just before the storm. I sat and spun my chair towards Bill who was now sitting to my left in front of the desk. “Well, it’s nice to see you too, Bill!” I said with syrupy sarcasm.
“Sorry, Boss,” He answered quickly but still somberly. “I’m a little nervous. The FBI showed up here this morning. You couldn’t have picked a worse day to ease your way back into work.” The phone rang. “That is probably Jack”, advised Bill. He watched me pick up the Phone.
FBI I thought as I placed the receiver to my ear. “Maggie, get down here.” Then dead air. “Oh, and welcome back.” Jack hung up.
I looked up quickly into Bill’s eyes. “So?”
“The FBI wants to talk to us about BiEmbryo. They have been with Jack most of the morning. I have a feeling Jack is dying in there and will throw everything your way as soon as you walk in.”
“He should!”. I stood up. “This isn’t going to be a walk down the Main street of Fosterville.” I smiled down at Bill. I think he enjoyed it.

The new Governor of New Jersey hit it on the nose when he told a complaining teacher that if the amount of salary wasn’t sufficient that maybe she should seek another career. And explained that the revenue to support government style jobs is finite. Do they still teach economics in High School?

Is the ragin’ Cajon Carvelle starting to beat the drum for his candidate Hillary for 2012? His blasting of Obama yesterday over the oil spill certainly looked like the first salvo against The Hill’s opponent. Then of course, he went on to beat unmercifully BP, which made it also appear that he was on the payroll of oil spill litigation lawyers.

The Answer: The four levels of a declining stock market are “Noise” (0-4.9%), “Pullback” (5-9.9%), Correction (10-19.9%) and Bear Market” (20%+). Bonus Q Answer: Tilapia is a fresh water, warm climate bottom feeder that grows fast and big and is ideal for aquaculture. Not only does this fish have the commercial advantage of reaching edible size quickly, its fast growth and relatively short life assures minimum amount of mercury in the system. This popular fish is also herbivorous assuring that there are plenty of edible delicacies for other fish and less algae and oxygen sucking plants that undermine pond or lake health. But, as most New England fisherman say, “It isn’t Seafood”.

End Tids:
The Celtics are making me really, really nervous.

Hey Arlen Spector…the American Idol job is open.

I thought Paul Abdul was excellent in last night’s tribute to Cowell.

No comments:

Post a Comment