Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Go Arizona, go.

Today's Tids Issue 2,130
Opening Stuff:

I think it is important every once in a while to tell a person, friend, lover, hero, child, relative the truth about his or her greatness. And almost always a truly honest and giving person will be embarrassed by it.

Watching illegals clamor for benefits that rightfully should never be the reward for a criminal act, I am reminded of this old riddle: What do you call cheese that isn’t yours? “Nacho Cheese”.

I’ll tell you what is scary…After last weeks stock market unexplained meltdown, you just gotta know that somewhere there is some hacker trying to figure out how to duplicate or even expand on the flaw. And just hope it is a person in a Pakistan cave.

The Question:
When the rather dull, insecure appearing Gordon Brown took the reins from the robust Tony Blair, something about the aura of the long list of memorable British PM’s was lost. Has the country lost its power and esteem, or was Brown one of those interim glitches waiting for the emergence of a bright and youthful David Cameron. (So, you’re probably thinking, “Get on with the question stupid Tids guy”). Name five of the greatest, almost legendary British Prime Ministers.

The Headlines:
--LA Ok’s Boycott of Brave Arizonian’s.
--CVS CEO, Chairman Ryan Steps Down In Surprise Move.
--Thai Red Shirt Security Head Shot In Head; Act Unifies Red Shirt Protests.
--Stocks Fall In Early Trading; New Unemployment Claims At 444,000; New Number Shows Miniscule Drop.
--NY AG Andrew Cuomo Investigating Goldman, Morgan-Stanley, UBS, Citi, Credit Suisse, Deutsche Bank, Credit Agricole, Merrill Lynch; Looking At Bankers Influence Over Credit Rating Agencies.
--Beleaguered Portugal To Announce “Fiscal Shock” Program; Higher Taxes And Drastic Salary Cuts Hope To Speed Up Deficit Reduction.
--Neil Armstrong And Eugene Cernan Disturbed By 0-Man’s Space Policies; Former Moonwalkers Say Prez Plan Adrift.
--Euro Losing Again After Small Bounce From $1 Trillion Infusion.
--Offshore Natural Gas Platform Off Venezuela Sinks.
--Bruins Blow It again; Celts Go For Series Win Tonight; Pressure On King James.

Back to More Stuff:

I’m not surprised that Michael Lynch got the boot last night. But, I think Big Mike got better throughout and will have a fine career. Honestly, I wasn’t too sold on him when the top 24 was announced. But, I grew to like him and enjoyed his singing. So now we have three. Destiny’s darlings BoSox and Lee and the very smooth Casey. Casey has the kind of personality that could lead to an ouster of the more somber Lee. I guess it all boils down to what songs they pick for next week.

Remember Big Mike that Chris Daughtry, who sang last night and is one of the more successful AI-ers from recent shows, came in fourth too.

Through the Same eyes: Chapter 72. –I watched Kent leave. An unusually tense Paul stepped aside and I saw his eyes follow Kent’s every step. Kent looked supremely confident even as he passed the normally happy, now severe Paul Durham, my husband.
I was slowing coming down from Kent’s touch. A mere touch. A brief touch. A touch that made me shiver ever so slightly. But changed the entire mood of my mind. I looked up again at Paul. I didn’t feel confident. As Kent disappeared, he slowly, incredibly slowly turned his head towards me. He didn’t look angry. He looked quizzical. Like his mind was telling him something wasn’t right, but his love for me would allow him to explore it fully.
“I’ve been waiting for you Paul,” I started mustering every bit of shallow confidence I could. “I need…wanted you to be here for this discussion.” I still felt the touch of Kent upon my neck. I shivered slightly again. I turned to Sally the observer. I could tell she saw something in this brief drama. Women know.
“So, what is going on?” he said casually. A double entendre if I ever heard one. “Had a good productive session with your guys Sally. We are moving well towards upgrading our technology to meet the greater demands of the new data.” Then he turned to look at me. “Mind if I drag chair up here.” Now Paul looked to be in charge. Before he sat, he bent and kissed me on the lips. I still felt the touch of Kent.

Yesterday I was told of an engagement of the daughter of a friend of mine to a pretty well known radio personality. While knowledgeable, I always felt that the guy in his early public years was annoying and basically averse to the functioning of a civilized society. In other words he had all of the characteristics of an out of control fraternity boy animal. I have noticed him changing over the years, with a little less gravy on his rumpled shirts than in the past. The person who told me of this wonderful event said the guy was the “nicest person she ever met” and had one of those genuine hearts of gold. The moral of this story: Reserve judgment until you really know.

I’m really starting to like this Governor of Arizona.

And in case you missed it among the news reports of the sign carrying, rampaging aggrieved and their ill informed hysterical supporters, 61% of all US citizens agree with the Arizona law. (^64% of voters.)

I guess a $1 Trillion doesn’t go as far as it used to.

A guy named John McConnell seems to be running into some trouble in his bid to be approved for a Federal Judgeship. The US Chamber of Commerce has taken the extraornary step of calling for the out and out rejection of the aspirant. You see, McConnell is one of those big time class action suit lawyers. You know the kind that have the ability to latch on to “Too big to be ignored” mass events. The kind that play so well with those who have been led to believe that “If it is big it must be bad”. This guy looks like the last person in the world that should be considered for a judgeship. That is if you want fairness in the courts.

The Answer:
Familiar names abound in the long list beginning in 1721. The First Lord Walpole has a town in Massachusetts named after him (Home of largest Max prison.) There are the Pelhams that eventually produced RI’s Senator Claiborne Pell and his cousin Liz Claiborne. William Pitt and sons are famous names as is Pittsburgh. George Grenville gave us the Stamp Act which led to the first “Tea Party”. Augustus FitzRoy tried to make peace with the colonies while his successor Frederick North blundered into the Revolutionary War. William Wyndham Grenville abolished slavery in 1806 and Spencer Percival, a madman, was assassinated. Arthur Wellesly gave them the Catholic Emancipation Bill. Then we had have the legendary names -- Benjamin Disraeli, William Gladstone, David Lloyd George (Women vote; Irish Free State), Neville Chamberlain, Winston Churchill, Clement Atlee, Harold Wilson (Liberal reforms) and Margaret Thatcher (the first Woman).

Thanks God it's Over:
If the Tids appear late this morning it’s because I got too interested in the British PMs. But, when you read the list you find yourself reading about the history of the world for the past 300 years.

I’m getting real tired of looking at pictures of happy, flag waving, sign carrying “Illegal” (As in criminal) immigrant supporters.

No comments:

Post a Comment